GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 06:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: slot machine??  (Read 1725 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: February 17, 2010, 07:27 PM »

Can anyone explain how to do the slot machine and how can I tell i've got the kite in the proper angle before the pop to spin it around??
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:09 PM »

Randy G's site is always a good starting point

http://www.sportkiteflyer.com/Randyg_Slot_Machine_Tutorial.avi

Here's how I do it, right or wrong. Fly across the window in horizontal flight and pop-pop the top wing. A hard pull for the first "Pop" is closer to what I do, before the kite rotates too far or goes completly flat hit the second input, Randy's video shows the kite stopped in the correct position for that second input. Position is the top wing down but not quite horizontal, the nose is maybe 20 degrees back. I usually take a step forward after the second pop to give slack, that'll be dependant on the wind speed, I have more luck with the trick in decent winds then in "Can just barely fly" winds.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:41 PM »

for casual flying, my aim is for 45 degrees on every angle then pop. this doesn't result in a flat spinning trick, but it's a place to get started and works pretty consistently.

so to use an example video from the fade thread, at about 8 seconds is what i mean by 45 degrees on every angle, and if you pulled the top wing again at about 8.5 seconds in this vid and gave slack with both hands after, you'd have a slot.

halfaxel to fade

Fdeli
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:55 AM »

I worked on the slot machine last season and managed to do a few but it was never consistent and I still haven't quite figured out the inputs yet. Occasionally I get the nose set the way Randy's video shows it but it's hit or miss for me. Once you got it set, it's another input to pull it around and I haven't quite got that yet either. It's trial and error and you have to figure what works and what you did to make it work.

But I maybe got three slots last year so I know I can do it.

It's all about the inputs and learning what to do and when to do it. For me, that's okay because I enjoy the process of learning a skill. And because nothing's ever come easy to me in anything, I've accepted the fact that I'm 'slow'. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know whatcha gonna git."

(I can do 540s pretty well if the wind is right. I'm pretty happy about that.)

Bob D.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:19 AM »

One thing to pay attention to is hand position.  After you give the initial input which ticks (and take a half step forward) the kite into the set up position, your bottom wing hand should be extended, and the upper wing hand should be behind you a bit.  Then, it's the hand behind you that you pop for the rotation.  A sharp flick of your wrist, sharper the better.  Keep in mind that you don't want to have to take up any slack when initiating the rotation.  That line stays pretty taut(sp?), and if you are taking up slack before the input hits the kite, keep that hand back even farther when initiating the set up.

A multi slot is so easy then.  Keep that bottom wing hand in front ALL THE TIME, and just tick the top to bring the kite back to the set up position, then pop the back hand (SLOT rotation), tick and pop (rotation), tick and pop (rotation).  You'll be surprised once you get it how easy the multi is, and how cool it looks. 

There is are some 'pretty good' examples of slots in this clip from a while ago.  Opinions may vary.
AllerEersteFilmpje

At this time, that was all I was doing...corners, halfs, and slots, so you won't be overwhelmed by my prowess.  In fact, if you saw my fly now, it wouldn't be much better.  Smiley  Anyway, I believe it's primarily my hand position that allows me to snap the rotation almost immediately after the set up.

obi 

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
chrispie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:08 AM »

wow.. i love the way you fly! Very sharp turns.. and the kite sounds really good!

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:11 PM »

The way I do my slot is very similar to the half axle - it is like half of a half axle with a pop (if that makes sense).  The secret is throwing tons of slack into the bottom wing so that the kite can flatten out and "float" for a second before popping the kite around for the slot.  When you initiate the pop on the top wing and throw all the slack possible with the bottom wing, the kite should drop down almost flat but with the wing closest to you floating a little upwards and nose slightly away from you from dead flat - like the knock on the leading edge is pointing directly at you.  Once the kite "floats" up into that position, just pop the top wing (while pointing at you) and then throw more slack and the kite should rotate around and do the slot.  I find it is easiest to do the slot in the lightest winds and out towards the edge.

Hope that helps.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:49 AM »

Just recalled how some kites may not work with a top pop as the first input, notably the new Prism E3 in my experience.

I had just recently learned the Slot Machine and was trying out a friends new E3 and try as I might I could not Slot Machine that kite which was a letdown because George wanted to learn it. I can't remember the persons name who came over to give the kite a try too (but he builds some nice kites himself) and he immediately had the solution.

Re-reading Obi's post he may be describing this alternate method. Initiate the Slot Machine with a very small top pop to initiate the rotatation and stall the kite then a large bottom push to let the kite flatten out, when it's in position hit that top line again. The E3 immediately responded and did some fine Slot Machines, flat & floaty. For him at least, I'd have needed some retraining and didn't want to hog George's kite.

If you're still struggling try a very small quick top pop followed by a large bottom push, then a top pop, it's not only an E3 thing other kites respond well to it also, you might find the method more to your liking too.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:23 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:53 PM »

There several ways to do the Slot Machine. I usually do them similar to Randy's video. A pop to the top wing while pushing the bottom wing out. When the kite flattens out, don't wait too long as the nose will go too high and the wing tips drop but I like them as flat as possible, then pull or pop the hand that was the top. Give enough slack so the wing tip clears the lines as the kite rotates. How much slack is very kite and wind related but count on leaning or probably stepping towards the kite. When it rotates 360 deg pull both lines and fly off in the original direction or repeat.

Another way is the smoother or swoopier looking Slot. Pull not pop the top wing as you push out the bottom. Similar to an uneven pancake for the 540 except the kite is going horizontal to the ground. The kite will lay out and then the rest is the same as above.

The flatter you let the kite get before the rotation the better it looks but the difficulty and amount of slack required is increased.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document