GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elixir Question  (Read 1769 times)
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: February 19, 2010, 10:10 PM »

OK, I am fairly new to the hobby.  About 1 year or so of "trick" flying under my belt.  I can do fades, axels, a rung or two of JL's...   By no means am I a great pilot..yet Smiley    I have had this Elixir in my bag for a few months now, and originally I thought maybe it was my skill level.  But this thing really does not fly right, I have about 6 other kites in my bag so I have some reference Smiley
  The kite was bought used in excellent condition, and before I give it up as something I just dont jive with I want to get some measurements.  Maybe the bridle is jacked.  Although, I dont see how it sould be as it looks all still stock.   Any one have any measurements of the Elixir Bridle?  Cant find it anywhere on the web.  I guess I could just buy a new one at some point rather then selll a desired kite...  Any suggestions?

My challenges are just flying the thing,  it seems to need an awful lot of wind, 6+?  even with the bridle at its highest.  Even at that point, I have trouble axeling the thing,  it is very lax on the line, myabe that is just its style.  Seems very unstable to me.

Just correcting the spelling of the kite's name for search purposes - zippy8
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:50 PM by zippy8 » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:13 AM »

Hey there...
That was my initial impression of my 'Lix. I put it back in the bag, came back to it a year later, and had a much better time with it. The light pull can be un-nerving until you get used to it, it feels like it's falling out of the sky most of the time. It can be flown in less wind than you mention, but 5-10 mph is where I like to fly it.
Alot of people compare the Gemini to the Elixir. It's just too bad that the 'Lix was never modernized like the Gem. What other kites are you comparing the Elixir to ? Some days I feel like flying old style, like the 'Lix, and some days I feel like flying something newer, like the Sea Devil. It's tough to fly them both back to back, because they fly so different. Just something to get used to, I guess.
I'm sure someone here has the factory measurements for the bridle, my measurements would be useless, because of the age of the kite, and the number of times the bridle was messed with. But, I bet there's nothing wrong with your kite, it just takes some getting used to.
~Rob.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:34 PM »

I hated the Elixir for about 5 years. Then, every time I pulled it out, the kite flew better.  Huh

It isn't a normal kite, but it is a kite capable of very modern tricks without weights or yoyo stoppers.

When you hold the kite up by the towpoints indoors, how high is the nose compared to the tip of the keel?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:56 PM »

What other kites are you flying?

I can say if you have any more modern kites in your bag that you learned to trick with then the Elixir will feel out of place.

On the other hand if you are learning your tricks on the Elixir then I would be afraid with what you can do with a more modern kite.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:42 AM »

My Minigem has a very light pull too and it definitely needs more wind to fly. It's not my favorite kite but I DO like to pull it out once in awhile. For me, it's the whole experience, the wind, the sky, the craftsmanship, the kite's style and a trick or two.

(My least favorite is the 3D but I like it for it's style too.)

Bob D.
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:27 PM »

Hey

Well E Mail me  at   DRAWDEYLF   1234  @  aol  .  com    and I will give you all the specs of the kite.. Just be sure to put   ABOUT THE ELIXER   in the subject line

I have a BRAND NEW one that has  never been FLOWN  and it has the exact specs you need...

NOW in flying the E Lix. You will need to get some serious use to it. It was a Beautiful kite in its day. People still ASK for  Modern version of this Kite from Prism.

Leave me a Phone Number and I will Call you as well and we can go over the Kite with a FINE TOOTH COMB

Fast Eddy 
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:44 PM »

Just be sure to put   ABOUT THE ELIXER   in the subject line
Why do I even bother ?  Sad

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35 PM »

CAUSE  ZIPP STERS   People like me who Mis pel things just drive you NUTz

Fast EDDY

Posted by: zippy8 Just be sure to put   ABOUT THE ELIXER   in the subject line

Why do I even bother ?
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:30 AM »

Roll Eyes
Noted and corrected. I know that it's an issue that I have with the repetition of words in sentences.

A misspelt kite name, especially in a thread name, can defeat a search for information on that kite. Getting that right should be considered a priority.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05 AM »

The Elixir is a fun capable kite for the flying style of its day. But we now fly in a world where "Flip is Hip." The kite is hard to beat for Flat Spins, Fades and smooth tracking. I had one in a solid fade for about 20 min. once at the beach. People arrived and put their single line kites up all around me. You should have seen the look on their faces when I rolled it over and flew away.
If you're learning the 540, Axel (double axel), Fade and Tricks like the Lazy Susan the kites should serve you well. But if the stars of the kite field enamor you today, look for a high aspect, straight edge "Frenchy Style" kite.
Every kite has its own feel and time spent with the Elixir will reward you with it’s own special élan.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document