GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbi  (Read 3809 times)
Birddog
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 01, 2010, 08:30 PM »

Awesome, kites came today, did i say Awsome, thanks Steve.  Took the snap shot up for a spin. VERY nice, first time airborne, i'm hooked. there was hardly any breeze and i could feel it pull now and then, have to put some lead in my pockets if the wind picks up i am sure. I need to get a picture of this and put up here.
I'm still grinning from ear to ear.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:25 PM by Birddog » Logged
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46 PM »

Being in wichita falls texas there is no shortage of wind, however there really is not much of anything else to do out here so i figured i go fly a kite, or learn...

Look up Troy Gunn in the members section, his e-mail is listed. He lives in Wichita Falls and can answer any questions you have.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:05 PM by ozonejim » Logged

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.

The best thing you can do is find any local fliers and learn from them.
Have you seen any fliers?
Is there a kite store nearby?
Have you seen any local kite festivals?

If you answer no to all of the above....
The Quantum (not the Quantum Pro) is a very good choice for a starter kite. Also buy a DVD and watch it. The man who runs this Forum can supply you with both at a reasonable price. Just click on the kites in the far upper right to enter the store.

Still assuming you answered no....
Find kite videos online and watch them.
Learn how to assemble your kite correctly.
Learn how to adjust your bridle.
Come back here and ask lots of questions.
Practice, practice, practice.

Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:24 AM »

Being in wichita falls texas there is no shortage of wind, however there really is not much of anything else to do out here so i figured i go fly a kite, or learn...

Look up Troy Gunn in the members section, his e-mail is listed. He lives in Wichita Falls and can answer any questions you have.
I second that... if you can find Troy, he is a wealth of info, he helped me alot when I was getting into tricking kites. I have still yet to meet him in person, but he spent alot of time on the phone and in emails helping me out & answering questions.

As far as the kites... buy both the foil & the Hypnotist. The Hypno is just as tough as the Quantum, a little more capable, and comes with the DVD for the same price as the Quantum + the DVD.
Good luck !
~Rob.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:19 AM »

+1 for the Quantum or the Hypnotist. Don't start with a brisk wind. Keep your arms at your sides. Don't twist your arms over each other when the kite loops. Slack in one line and pressure on the other to turn. Don't worry about loops - just turn in the opposite direction to undo the twist. Have fun.

There's lots of people with a lot experience here. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bob D.
jeepersjoey

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07 AM »

I too am a Newbie so don’t kill me if I am naive.  My point is to discuss Newbie (10 hrs of flight) to Newbie (0 hrs of flight).

As an owner of all three "kites" in this post (Quantum, Hypnotist and Snapshot) I can say that the Quantum and Hypnotist are the same and the Snapshot is different.  Same concepts but different results.

The Quantum is large and slow.  It is pretty strong and a good entry level kite.  I think it needs a flag flappin’ wind to keep in the air.  It is rated at a lower wind but it feels good when the winds are blowing enough that you can feel the wind on your face.

The Quantum has an absorbing spine which helps with the full speed slams into the ground.  I already cracked mine and had some of the plastic (I know it is NOT plastic) peel away.  The cost of replacement spine is $6.85

The Hypnotist is slightly bigger but seems faster than the Quantum.  It has basically the same “safety” mechanisms.  I have only flown it twice because I want to keep it in good shape.  It is my future stunt kite to woo the women!

Replacement parts between the Quantum and Hypnotist are the same or very similar.  Hence the reason that I bought both…I can buy one set of parts and use on both.

oth the Quantum and Hypnotist allow for stunts and playing.  This is what you want to be doing.  The Snapshot is what I would call static.  It is up in the air and all you can really do it fly left, right, dive and spin.  There are no tricks to it.  It is a good entry to dual line kites but you will soon tire.  Very good to give to the wife or kid once you get the concepts.

I live in Colorado where the wind is more like sneezes.  Some hard, some long, some quick, some teases.  I get the most fun out of my small (58” wingspan) light wind kite.  It flies with a light breeze and allows me to practice slow maneuvers.  I highly recommend the Into The Wind – Wisp for $60.  It has treated me well.  Also, I live 30 minutes from the Manufacturer so they are very helpful.  I bought the Hypnotist from them for $109 (display model not flown).  I bought the Quantum for $86 online.

The Hypnotist is 40% higher priced than the Quantum.  Depending on your resources buy the appropriate kite.  They are essentially the same in my eyes.  But…you get a DVD (30 minutes) with the Hypnotist that is very helpful.  I have watched it three times and liked it each time.

So…I would recommend the Quantum and a light wing small kite if I were to choose only two.  If I had to choose only one I would go with a light wind kite and then step up to the Hypnotist once I mastered the STALL and SLIDE.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
GusG

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 05:16 PM »

There is a considerable difference between flying the two kites you mention.  I own both. 

First, while the Snapshot is fun to fly, it won't do tricks.  You can fly figure 8's and loops and that's about all.  If it was all I had to fly I would get bored very quickly. I like my Snapshot as a change of pace after I've flown my trick kites for 15-20 times in a row.

The Quantum, and even more so the Hypnotist, are both good kites to start learning tricks on.  Learning tricks is an often frustrating but infinitely more interesting way to fly.  I'd highly recommend starting with a trick kite. 

I own both the Quantum and the Hypnotist.  The Quantum is a far nicer looking kite and when I was new that mattered a lot.  Plus it was cheaper. 

The Hypnotist is a better flier and at the point I'm at now I wish I would have skipped the Quantum and gone straight to the Hypnotist.  Since in the end I bought the Hypnotist anyway the Quantum was more of a wasted $100 rather than a money savings of the difference between the Quantum and the Hypnotist.
jeepersjoey

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 07:07 PM »

Hey GusG...we both have had the same experience and both agree about the Snapshot.

Must be true!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
chrispie

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:43 AM »

hmm.. i suggest jump straight to widowmaker..

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:24 AM »

Hey bird dog, I also live in Wichita Falls, and I'll be happy to teach you to fly. I'll let you try some of my kites until you get your own. My e-mail: TKOGunn@webtv.net

PS - I would've e-mailed you but you didn't supply your e-mail addy in your membership info.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:21 PM by TGunn » Logged

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 07:45 AM »

For any of those new to flying reading along, Being able to fly OPK(Other peoples kites Wink) is great way to try kites before you buy them along with being able to get some instruction or just watch other people fly. It will help your learing curve alot! Grin

Sine Metu!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:56 PM »

When you consider that the Quantum is ~$40 less than the Hypnotist, it looks like a bargain, but once you toss in the $30 DVD, that leaves the Hypno and the Quantum only $10 apart. The Hypno is certainly worth $10 more than the Quantum... it will take you alot further down the road, and it's just as durable.

~Rob.

By the way, I have both, and they are both great kites.

anOldMan

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 10:18 PM »

hmm.. i suggest jump straight to widowmaker..

If you have an experience flyer with you the first couple of time. ?? maybe yes for the Widow Maker.  Roll Eyes

Otherwise, as stated above, the Hypnotist is probable your best choice. I also have both and the Hypno will that you further.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33 PM »

The Hypno is much much better at tricks (and probably just about everything else) if thats what you want to learn.

I think the Hypno may need just a tiny bit more wind than the Quantum, but they both require decent wind (5 or so) to fly.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change