GWTW Forum
July 27, 2014, 11:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flew in light wind today for 8 hrs! What a BLAST!  (Read 4217 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 21, 2010, 04:54 PM »

I have to share with someone since the wife does not share my enthusiasm.

I have been waiting for two weeks to get even a little wind to fly the Into The Wind - Wisp.

Today I had just enough to learn how to go back-forth controlled.

8 hrs I stood in 24 degree snow.

What a blast!

Life is good!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:15 PM »

brrrr ... a bit under my comfort level, glad you had fun & welcome to "The Forum™"

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jeepersjoey

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:13 AM »

Yea...I was born in MN and lived there for the last 8 yrs.  I hardly get cold.

Yesterday it was just my hands that were a little cold. 

I was flying near an intersection and dozens of people stopped for a longer pause than normal.

I was learning "The Stall" and am very happy with my progress.

More practice next weekend!

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55 AM »

Work on those stalls at the edges after you've got the feel for them, fly to the edge and turn under/down to stall it then let it slide back to the center, you may have to step forward to hold the stall. That's called a Side Slide, in a recent thread it was picked as many flyers favorite trick, as "Old Skool" as it is it's still an impressive sight when executed well, I like to start on one side and execute a Side Slide to the center, touch down, take off and go to the other side and slide to the center again, repeat as neccessary. The upside to working on the Side Slide next is you learn to hold & control the attitude of your stall, that opens up the whole range of tricks for you.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:05 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jeepersjoey

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:11 PM »

Thank you VERY much for the post and response.

Forgive me if I am new and do not fully understand what you explain...

Is this what you recommend:
1. Practice stalls at the edge of the window.  Work on having the kite hover right at the edge.  Once you have that move to #2.

2. Go the edge, and do a quick turn down (rather than up) toward the ground.  Practice and then work into #3

3. Slowly slide back to the middle and hold.

Does this sound right?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:49 PM »

Pretty close, but go ahead work on your stalls wherever in the window to start  like I assume you are doing now. That's the first skill you need once you can fly the kite around, cut decent corners and do pull turns, push turns and combination turns.

Once you can stall the kite work towards stalling near the edge with that downward turn. You initiate a Side Slide with a downward turn because the kite will be turning into the window at the bottom before you stall it thus giving it some momentum towards the center to start the slide. See how long you can keep that slide under control, hover near the center or take a step forward if your close enough to the ground to land the kite, then pull back on the lines again to regain flight and do it again on the other side.

It's just a great way to learn control of the kite in a stall while looking impressive too. The stall is the beginning of many of the tricks you'll be moving into soon.

Hearing your working on your stalls before trying other things is great, you have a grasp on working up the ladder, I think you'll be a better flyer for it. Don't rush it at first, everything else will come easier with a good grasp of those basics.

freecheese

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:54 PM »

It might be helpful to point out that you must turn downward, and keep turning until the nose is pointing up again.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:20 PM »

A decreasing radius turn helps too, you can build up a little more momentum towards center before spinning the last of the air out of it during that last 90 degrees to nose up. You can start a slide from stationary, some can even reverse them, but the momentum will make it easier at first.

I use a push turn with an opposite push to stop it, it takes timing and I blow it often but I don't pull the kite into forward flight that way. How do others do it?

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 11:49 PM »

welcome to the awesome wonderful world of dual line kite flying!  Grin

Fˇdeli°
jeepersjoey

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45 AM »

When I bought the Prism Hypnotist it said to master "The Stall" before attempting others.

I have not flown the Hypnotist yet...but will soon.

I tried to fly the Prism Quantum twice but have been rather unsuccessful.  I made the light wind settings but I still walked completely across the field trying to keep it up.  Rather disappointing so I went back to the Wisp (0-12 mph).

Thanks for all the comments...it is getting me excited for this weekend when I can play some more.

Heck...brought the Wisp to work yesterday thinking of maybe flying after.  The wind was there but I got out late!

Paul

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:56 AM »

ahhh taking the kites to work  Grin  I have a couple loops hooked into the little hooks to hang clothes on down the drivers side of the van, just enough to get 3-4 kites slid through and off the floor and mostly above the windows. I have to keep the floor clear for packages. Time to load them up again, the days are getting longer & the flowers are blooming.

King-J

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 07:58 AM »

Welcome to the Forum Paul, you'll find alot of good help here. I think this Video below of my WM explains what mike was referring to earlier in the thread about doing a slide, the slide is at the very end of the video. I also carry my kites in my truck, almost 24/7 you never know when the opportunity to fly will be there.

Widow Maker Kite

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17 PM »

Nice flying King-j.  The WM really likes to fade well.  I just got mine awhile ago and love flying it.
Thanks for the VID!   Grin
Jim
jeepersjoey

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 07:44 PM »

So I did a little more practice today.

I am having trouble getting the slide.

I am pretty good at back & forth with the kite pointing left or right but I cannot seem to get it to point UP when I go left or right.

I think it is that I am not turning down toward the ground when I turn.  But rather turning up (toward the sky).

It is a difficult move to turn down toward the ground.

I broke two of three kites today.  I did a major splinter on the spine of the Prism Quantum.  It is still usable but several slivers of "plastic" are now removed from the spine.

I think I like the fast, low wind kites (Into the Wind Wisp) more than the bigger, slower kites (i.e. Prism Quantum and Hypnotist).

Paul

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50 PM »

sorry to hear about your breakage, I like little quick kites sometimes myself but usually the larger slower kites are easier are easier to learn on and they are my first choice most of the time.

Hold off on the slide for a while I guess, spend some time just flying around, pull turns, push turns & combination turns. Draw squares, circles, figure 8's, triangles, your initials, whatever comes into your head in the sky. Just to burn in the muscle co-ordination for which hand to pull or push to get the kite to turn the way you need and how much you need to give it to get just the reaction you need. That'll help keep you off the ground. T\

Then practice your tricks a bit higher, telling you to slide to a landing maybe wasn't a good thing, keep it higher to start.

I forget sometimes that I was doing flat & level ground passes only a kite width off the ground with an underhand loop in the middle and a combo pivot turn at the ends (precurser to the half axel) with kites that couldn't normally even turn on a wingtip,  they were heart stoppers in that day so I wasn't afraid of the ground when all these new-fangled tricks started being developed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document