GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comete  (Read 5938 times)
chrispie
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 22, 2010, 12:21 AM »

Hi all... i am embarking on a new trick.. the comete...

Looks easy to execute but i find it super tough.. been watching Randy's tutorial but somehow what i get is not exactly the same or anything close. I know someone will say in a nutshell, it is many half axels done vertically. But i just do not get it... it is almost the same as the cascade, when many say it is half axels done in opposite directions with zero flying distance.. i failed badly, until some1 explained as it is a flare, face right, flare, face left before i have the eureka moment...

So... can any kind soul enlighten me?

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:45 AM »

First off, I still can't do it very well, but I get a little better each time I am out.  Smiley

I tried to do it by just doing the hand motions described in the benson tutorial and audio robs, but could never get it together.  My son learned it rather quickly by just imitating the inputs and then working out the timing, but I couldn't.

Lam told me about his X technique and that has helped alot - by breaking it down a bit.  You fly up diagonally, left to right, do the first 2 inputs (half-axel basically but modify the pops a bit) and thats one rotation.  The nose will be pointing (slightly diagonally) down.

Now, fly down the X diagonally and do the same motions (half-axel) again.  Nose is now pointing up.  Fly up diagonally and repeat.

Eventually (this is where I'm at) just string it all together and you'll have it.  Visualizing how the kite needs to move is a great help - Randys tutorials show how the kite needs to move.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:50 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
chrispie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06 AM »

hey.. thanks for the input..

But is there flying in between each rotation? From what i see, it is a continous string of up -> flare -> down - > turtle -> up -> flare ->...

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
chrispie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:11 AM »

i tot the 2 vidz here are quite useful.. though no input explanation is provided...

Comete

The Comete

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Adicakes
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41 AM »

Crispie,

There isnt "flying" between each rotation, but I can see that Lam is recommending that learning method so that you get your head around downwards facing half axels.  I think Lam's idea is to gradually reduce the amount of flying between each half axel until the sequence is continuous.

My recommendation is to think of your inputs in terms of the rhythm 1...2,3...4,1...2,3...4,1 and just jump in with hands-a-flailing (by your side).  When learning the comete, it's easy to fall into the trap of over thinking things.  Your best bet is to get a few iterations by "educated guess" and then learn by the feeling you get when the trick works for an iteration or two.  Once that settles in, you can learn more by understanding and finesse things.  It also helps a lot to be flying a kite that lends itself to the comete, e.g. Nirvana.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:02 AM »

I'm not sure if this will help but... which bit looked easy???

It's a trick that still baffles me, even though I've done 3, attempted dozens and dozens, done 3...  Embarrassed Cry

One day... maybe...

WD

WinterDaze AoF
chrispie

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 03:23 AM »

I'm not sure if this will help but... which bit looked easy???

It's a trick that still baffles me, even though I've done 3, attempted dozens and dozens, done 3...  Embarrassed Cry

One day... maybe...

WD

haha.. seriously.. if u just look at the arms movements.. it really does looks easy!  Cheesy

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
obijuankenobe

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43 AM »

Another thing to keep in mind is that one line is always tight.  You sorta force the kite to a quick flare, then force it back to flying position, then immediately pop it to another quick flare, then pull it immediately back to flying position.  Each time you pop it to a flare, you need to give a little line on the off hand, but then take it quickly back again.  If you start to think of it as reaching the lazy/backflip (or see it reach this position), then you've already let it go to far.  I learned by starting with inputs which were 'too fast' in succession so that the kite never got completely nose away...then gave a little more slack to that off hand until it was really going nose away each time.  Using Adicakes counting...I started with 12...34...12...34, and then tried to give more space slowly....1.2...3.4...1.2...3.4...etc.  In the short gaps is where that off hand has to reach forward just a bit to allow the quick flare.  This method will avoid the problem of reaching the backflip where the comete will spontaneously end. 

There is a slow mo section at the end of one of the long Kitehouse vids where you can see Johannes beat the comete out, and there you can see that there is ZERO pause between inputs (and how the kite distorts during the trick).

As always here, I would encourage you to try both directions as you learn...otherwise you can become trapped in the rhythm on only one side.  It can make learning the other direction much harder if you don't.  Easier said than done of course.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
chrispie

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 04:37 AM »

look at this video:

Stunt Kite Tutorial "The Comete"

notice the part where it shows the pilot in slow motion, where the narrator says 'slack , slack , slack.' (40 second mark).

Is that what u guys are mentioning ...1.2...3.4...1.2...3.4... ?

and he mentioned that the THIS IS ESSENTIALLY A VERY SIMPLE TRICK AND IS LESS COMPLICATED THAN THE CASCADE?!!! haha.. that is great news!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:45 AM by chrispie » Logged

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
chrispie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:41 AM »

Another thing to keep in mind is that one line is always tight.  You sorta force the kite to a quick flare, then force it back to flying position, then immediately pop it to another quick flare, then pull it immediately back to flying position.  Each time you pop it to a flare, you need to give a little line on the off hand, but then take it quickly back again.  If you start to think of it as reaching the lazy/backflip (or see it reach this position), then you've already let it go to far.  I learned by starting with inputs which were 'too fast' in succession so that the kite never got completely nose away...then gave a little more slack to that off hand until it was really going nose away each time.  Using Adicakes counting...I started with 12...34...12...34, and then tried to give more space slowly....1.2...3.4...1.2...3.4...etc.  In the short gaps is where that off hand has to reach forward just a bit to allow the quick flare.  This method will avoid the problem of reaching the backflip where the comete will spontaneously end. 

There is a slow mo section at the end of one of the long Kitehouse vids where you can see Johannes beat the comete out, and there you can see that there is ZERO pause between inputs (and how the kite distorts during the trick).

As always here, I would encourage you to try both directions as you learn...otherwise you can become trapped in the rhythm on only one side.  It can make learning the other direction much harder if you don't.  Easier said than done of course.

obi

hi obi.. can u post the vidz link of the kitehouse comete?

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
obijuankenobe

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01 AM »

It's at the end of this very long video:

http://www.kitehouseserv.de/videos/mock2.wmv

But this video is truly stunning, esp. in showing what real tricksparty pairs should look like.  Completely worth the download.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RonG
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24 AM »

i tot the 2 vidz here are quite useful.. though no input explanation is provided...
Re. the first video...

I didn't provide input explanation because that video was part of series that taught how to compete in and judge Tricks Party.  I wasn't trying to explain how to do the trick, but rather what elements would be expected in scoring the trick.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:27 AM by RonG » Logged
chrispie

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:05 AM »

It's at the end of this very long video:

http://www.kitehouseserv.de/videos/mock2.wmv

But this video is truly stunning, esp. in showing what real tricksparty pairs should look like.  Completely worth the download.

obi

thanks for the vidz...truly amazed... im 1% there.

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:26 AM »

Re. the first video...

I didn't provide input explanation because that video was part of series that taught how to compete in and judge Tricks Party.  I wasn't trying to explain how to do the trick, but rather what elements would be expected in scoring the trick.
Hard to believe those videos are almost 4 years old. Shocked

and he mentioned that the THIS IS ESSENTIALLY A VERY SIMPLE TRICK AND IS LESS COMPLICATED THAN THE CASCADE?!!! haha.. that is great news! 
IMO, that quote from Rob ranks as one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard relating to sportkites.  Shocked And Rob holds 3 of the top 5 spots on that list...maybe more.  Roll Eyes

I've said this before but IMO, the very best way to learn this trick is with an SUL. And when I say learn I mean really "learn" the trick and not just bang away hoping for the best. By doing these in very low wind one has to wait for the kite to get to the right position before giving the next input. It forces you to know and understand what you are doing and what the kite is doing.

I thought one had to have higher winds to perform this trick until I gave Ron the lines to my Krystal WW at one event and watched him proceed to Comete that big, 2pt framed thing at will. I realized then I had a ways to go if I was really going to learn that trick properly.

Anyway, I much prefer to do this trick in low wind and do them as slow as possible. They look better and show that you are really in control of what is going on. YMMV of course.  Wink

chrispie

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 06:41 AM »

will pull out my Airwave tomorrow to try it... i think i watched Randy's tutorial too many times.. it just keeps playing in my head...

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document