GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 06:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comete  (Read 6372 times)
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 07:06 AM »

will pull out my Airwave tomorrow to try it... i think i watched Randy's tutorial too many times.. it just keeps playing in my head...
Dude looks pretty stupid but it's a nice song to have in your head.  Wink

RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41 AM »

Hard to believe those videos are almost 4 years old. Shocked

Time sure flies, doesn't it?  I'm still proud of the work you, Steph and I did on those tutorials.  Lots of flying, writing, editing, tweaking...wish we had been able to keep TP-USA alive.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57 AM »

I learned the Comete by watching Randy's video until I felt I understood the inputs. Thanks Randy Smiley. Then when it was still fresh in my mind, I went out and gave it a go. It worked. Getting good and consistent at it is a another thing.

Now, when I have trouble with the Comete, it's almost always a situation where I allow too much slack and can't hit the next input. The kite usually ends op in a Turtle. I count through the Comete too, 1 2 3 4,  1 2 3 4

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
chrispie

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 03:49 PM »

i usually like to rationalize the inputs to the kite rotation as well, but that do not include the timing and the slack involved.. so far, i think i am doing the 1234 without any 12...34 ... 12 .....34 kinda rhythm.

Since many broke the comete into a series of half axels, am i right to say that comete execution is:

Fly upwards...

1. light pop with left hand (like the half axel input to tilt the kite such that the 2nd input will turn it on its belly), this will turn kite into a flare.
2. harder pop with right (half axel context: input to initiate a flare), this will turn kite downwards.
3. slight slack (half axel context: allow kite to flare out) - the pause as described in the 'rhythm' of the comete inputs
4.light pop again with left - allow kite to go turtle
5. harder pop - allow kite to turn facing up or neutral again for next rotation
6. Slight slack again
7. back to step 1

its kinda - pa-pop( 1, 2) , slack, pa-pop (3, 4), slack....

please correct me as needed. Thanks!

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04 PM »

No, it's pop, pa-pop, pa-pop, pa-pop...

Or, 1...2,3...4,1...2,3...4,1

Here is a post I made in another thread with links to videos:

Linked below is the Debray video. Comete hands at around 2:55.

Debray Comete Hands

Next a clip from the 2004 SASKC event. RonG hisself with an early Machine:

RonG Comete

Video quality on the latter suffers from re-rendering a compressed file.  Undecided

Both show the syncopated rhythm discussed upthread. Watch Ron pause his left hand and delay the second input with his right hand. It goes 1...2,3...4,1...2,3...4,1...etc.

Thread link is here:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=662.15

Watch the hands.

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55 PM »

I learned to comete from Ron's TI video Randy just linked to. I worked on getting my hands to do what his did before trying it with a kite. Probably helped by the fact that the STX I was flying at the time took somewhat similar inputs.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 09:33 PM »

will, yours look fantastic. i can't seem to get mine to stay flat or rise in the sky, it's always falling quickly. my corners are sloppy, and doing them on the nirvana eludes me. hopefully by the end of summer things will be different. any pointers would be great. i'd love to have this one 'in the bag'.

Comete Snippet - Benson Deep Space

Fdeli
chrispie

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 11:48 PM »

No, it's pop, pa-pop, pa-pop, pa-pop...

Or, 1...2,3...4,1...2,3...4,1

Here is a post I made in another thread with links to videos:

Linked below is the Debray video. Comete hands at around 2:55.

Debray Comete Hands

Next a clip from the 2004 SASKC event. RonG hisself with an early Machine:

RonG Comete

Video quality on the latter suffers from re-rendering a compressed file.  Undecided

Both show the syncopated rhythm discussed upthread. Watch Ron pause his left hand and delay the second input with his right hand. It goes 1...2,3...4,1...2,3...4,1...etc.

Randy, the Pop highlighted in bold, is it the input to flare the kite?

and.. the hands are just WAYYY too fast for me.. i need kinda kite-hands correlation to learn most of my tricks... more of a thinker kinda learner.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:55 PM by chrispie » Logged

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 07:28 AM »

The slack is to allow the kite to reach the nose away position.  It's similar to the slack given to initiate a half axel.  Pulling back to flying position doesn't require slack.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
chrispie

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36 AM »

ok.. let me summarize..

1. Big Pop (left hand)
. slack > kite flares
2. Smaller Pop (right hand> kite points down)
3. Immediately followed by Big Pop (left)
.slack > turtles
4. Smaller pop (right hand> kite points up again)
1.Immediately followed by Big pop (left hand)
. slacks > kite flares
and so on...

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59 PM »

Hard to believe those videos are almost 4 years old. Shocked

Time sure flies, doesn't it?  I'm still proud of the work you, Steph and I did on those tutorials.  Lots of flying, writing, editing, tweaking...wish we had been able to keep TP-USA alive.

great video's. I've nearly worn my iPod out over the last few years watching them both at home and at the field..

...that guitar riff on the comete video will never leave my head!!! Cheesy

thanks

Steve
Beachbum
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 08:13 AM »

Here's another attempt to confuse things, and this sorta ties into Randy's SUL statement.

Do not think of the word "slack" at full face value, the comete is an on-power trick.

A flare, yo-yo, taz, requires total "slack" in the lines, whereas a fractured axel requires less "slack".

The same can be said about a tip stab or two point landing, the lines go dead only for a very brief moment.

What I'm trying to get at is that the comete requires constant feel on the lines.  The only time you ever see the lines go "slack" is when it's in higher winds, and most importantly, if the flyer is doing a fast comete.
RonG
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 09:20 AM »

What I'm trying to get at is that the comete requires constant feel on the lines.  The only time you ever see the lines go "slack" is when it's in higher winds, and most importantly, if the flyer is doing a fast comete.

+1

For all the popular view of the comete as a wild, "frog in a blender" kind of trick, I actually think it can be one of the more elegant ones out there.  A flier truly in touch with it can make it fast, slow, rise fall, and lots of other little variations.  All require almost constant contact with the kite, there's never a spank, slack, and let it rip phase.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:37 AM by RonG » Logged
711jrp

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 01:23 PM »

+2
and what Ron said

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
Beachbum
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 02:34 PM »

Thanks gents,

i can't seem to get mine to stay flat or rise in the sky, it's always falling quickly. my corners are sloppy, and doing them on the nirvana eludes me. hopefully by the end of summer things will be different. any pointers would be great. i'd love to have this one 'in the bag'.

Not a bad comet at all.  The only thing I can say is that the winds looked a little light.  All I think you need to try is to force yourself to walk/shuffle/skip  backwards while doing it to keep feel on the lines.  Like Ron said there is no "Let it rip" so whacking the kite harder will only force you to recover the kite with more effort, which takes time thus making the kite drop. 

As for the N you need to use larger arm movments.  I know that sounds generic, but it will make sense when you get it on the DS.

Oh, and that was a screamin' Taz at 0:19!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum