GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 12:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comete  (Read 6219 times)
chrispie
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 04:31 PM »

so how long do you guys take to more or less do the comete? I took 2 mths just for jacobs ladder (to get 80% or so consistency).. comete sems A WHOLE LOT tougher..

tried the movements and all i get is senseless tumbles..

I will say the 'feel at all time' comment is good.. i have lotsa slack in the lines and will totally lose control, always ended up in a wing wrap.  Lips sealed

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Beachbum
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 04:52 PM »

You have to understand that the Comete is a whole different animal than most other tricks.  Not neccessarily harder, but it's not a slack-here-and-pull-here-while-walking-forward type trick.

#1 It's just a bunch of axels going the same direction.

#2 It's not a slack intensive move, but more of feel, then timing.

#3 And just like learning the axel, learning the Comete is like an on and off switch.  Some people get it really quick, as quick as they learned to axel good.

Screw around doing axels while the nose is faced in awkward positions, namely down and get a clean recovery from it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:59 PM by Beachbum » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 05:34 PM »

thanks for the comments beachbum. the wind was a bit light. food for thought, and you're right on the money. those are considerations which i hadn't worked on.

Fdeli
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46 PM »

Chris,

For me I learnt the comete when the winds I was flying in when I'm starting out and learning were really high, like 15mph or so. It definitely makes it easier to learn when the wind is high is such that you already have sufficient drive to fly the kite throughout the whole wind window without pumping. Once you get the rhythm and feel down, you would be able to do the comete when the winds are lower.

The comete is also essential a trick that have a few "building blocks". 1st part is the half axel, 2nd part is getting used to the kite in a turtle. Are you able to do a snap lazy / rolling susan yet? If not I'd suggest learning that first. Throw the kite into a turtle aggressively via a snap lazy and get used to the kite in a turtle. That is half of the feel in a comete. Once you are familiar with the kite in a turtle, then start to slowly link the 2 together for the comete.

One more thing. Try the comete directly in the center of the wind window maybe around 50% height or even lower. That is when you have full and even pressure on both sides of the kite so you don't have to have any additional compensation as opposed to the kite being to the left or right of the window.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
chrispie

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 01:16 AM »

today wind was bad..  i followed what RAndy shown and dial in the input for the 4 positions... it works! Flare, five oclock... turtle and back to neutral... but cant follow thru with the 2nd round..

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change