GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 03:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Claw kite anchor  (Read 6535 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43 AM »

Mike had the answer already,

You want 1 leg pointed directly at the kite and the other 2 legs upwind.

However, if the wind shifts 60 you're at the worst position.

Spikes as anchors always make me nervous. Maybe that's why I only fly small SLKs and not the big boys.  Shocked

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:08 PM »

Hand held the 81 on a few occasions, not sure of the wind speed, during two of the San Francisco festivals, probably gusts approaching 10 mph when it would move me downwind a few feet. I do carribiner a dog leash to the line to hold onto to since even the 980 lb line I use hurts like ... 'Don't try this at home etc etc'. The kite isn't high, maybe 30 feet max with lots of slack line on the ground if I had to drop it, They drop quick when you let go so it'll stay in the field. The audience likes it, I've walked it to the sidelines to let those interested feel the pull. Proably 20 minutes in the air.

and no I'm not a big guy

I stake using Gombergs double stake method and have had the front stake pulled loose so you have to keep your eyes on whatever method you use.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
streamhawk

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 06:35 AM »

for anyone that might be interested, I have ordered a couple of these anchors, once I get some time with use of them, I'll report back on how effective...or not, they are.

Bill
streamhawk

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 12:54 PM »

got a chance to try out a couple of these anchors yesterday, and, sorry, no photos. Haven't had the chance to try anything bigger, but did give the Claw a whirl with my Premier 36 sled, three Premier spinsocks (hydroid, cephlapod, myriapod), and also my 10' Gomberg Bol. Flew the sled solo at first, figured that would have the most high altitude pull, then added laundry one at a time. Both flown on 500# test line. The bol at times was up in the air for extended periods of time, not just rolling about the ground, so some extremely hard pull on that. Winds varied alot from NE to NW, more than 45 degrees of shift from left to right.

The ground was rather soft from recent rains, good chance to see what the Claw could do with these two hard pullers. Didn't use any backup system for the test. I'm quite pleased with these anchors, we had sustained winds of at least 10-12mph, many sustained gusts up to 20+ mph. The anchors didn't budge at all, no letting up on any foot of the tripod, not even a fraction of an inch. I'll give them another chance with the 81 sled I'll have in the air soon. So far, I'm very happy with my purchase, no issues whatsoever. Your turn to give them a try...

Bill
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:56 PM by streamhawk » Logged
sennenshredder

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 08:24 AM »

I'm using a heavy duty fencing auger. Not sure how much force it will take in sand, but in the soft field, it felt rock solid, and easy to lock off onto the handle. 25 from the local builders merchant.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=156459&id=606908872&l=6fa4f3a56d
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:33 AM by sennenshredder » Logged
highAIR

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 07:11 PM »

As far as sand I like to use a sand anchor. I have one that's rated for 600# - works great
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document