GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 03:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet Emotion by Skydog  (Read 4892 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 25, 2010, 05:58 PM »

Listed at 91" on the bag and 86" on their website.
Wind range listed at 3-20 mph. Realistically, I'd say more like 6 mph, at least up here in Las Vegas.

4-10 mph bumpy winds
100' x 90# line (mine, not the included lineset)
2300' altitude
55F late afternoon
Flown stock except for the standoff positions.

I have now flown the Dream On, Cross Fire and Sweet Emotion. The cheapest of the 3, the Dream On flies the best but is the least tricky. As you go up in price you get a trickier kite with better nose treatment and reinforcement and better materials.

Construction: The Sweet Emotion is a high aspect ratio, weighted kite. The lower spreaders are Dynamic 18s, didn't check the rest of the frame. This is a relatively heavy, very taut sailed kite. There is reinforcement where it should be. The nose is very well executed and the construction overall is pretty good. I'm not an expert in construction. The keel has 2 brass weights around the spine. When the standoffs are inserted into the connectors, the lower spreader bends several inches and the lower spreader connectors twist outward to relieve some of the bending stress. After pushing the connectors back a few times, I ended up slanting the standoffs toward the center-T about 30 to back off the pressure. The LS connectors still rotated a little, but there was never any issue of the spreaders coming unseated.

Visually: I like the look of the kite. The grey on the wingtips doesn't follow the lines of the grey in the rest of the kite. I noticed it but didn't find it bothersome. The grey has a jet plane profile to it and the black laid over the kite works in my eyes.

Precision: Not really. The less expensive Dream On actually had fairly nice precision and was quite well mannered. The Cross Fire and Sweet Emotion are more trick oriented. The Sweet Emotion has a fairly tight spin radius, which I prefer for tricks. The kite became solid around 6 mph and fast by 10 mph. I'd be surprised if anyone would want to try this kite above 15 mph. But that is pretty normal for a standard at any price. There was no noise from the kite at any time.

Tricks: The SE feels like it is one solid thing. The sail feels taut although there is a little motion when you shake the kite. Everything trickwise happens quickly. The weight of the frame and keel rings makes the kite flip quickly. My timing was off as I am not use to this weight, but I was able to do my limited tricks  easily. Spin tricks aren't particuarly nice looking, but they are very easy to do. Cascades, half axels, slot machines, Taz machines were there. What surprised me was how easy it was to roll up the kite in the forward direction. I didn't know what to do after the kite wound up because I almost never get a forward roll up. But the SE was pretty straightforward in its ability to pitch in either direction. At the same time, the kite didn't instantly fall on its back like a lot of pitch happy tricksters. It would start to go back when tension was released, but not nearly as bad as others I've flown.

Summary: For $180, you get a well made trickster with an outstanding nose finish and a pitch oriented, high aspect flippy attitude. There are many on this Forum who are better trick fliers than myself who would like this kite.

That's 3 for 3 from Dodd and Skydog. For the money they are all a good deal.

6 pictures start on my Picasa site at the linked photo below:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:01 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:03 PM »

dynamic rods??? do you think it was made in the flying wings factory???
sounds sort of like an old school trick kite... hmmmmm

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07 PM »

dynamic rods??? do you think it was made in the flying wings factory???

Most Flying Wings kites are NOT made in their factory, but outsourced to a mainland China facility.  I believe the Soul and the Prediction are made by Flying Wings in Taiwan.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:23 AM »

The Soul and Prediction are very nice and well made kites.

DaveNYC
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:35 PM »

Chilese, thank you for all the reviews you've written. They've been very helpful to me in my search for my first trick stunt kite. I currently own a Skydog Little Wing, Prism Snapshot 1.2 and Prism Micron. All great kites, but can't learn tricks with any of them. My price range has been $50, but now I'm looking towards a $110-150 large kite since I've got bitten by the kiting bug.

This Sweet Emotion kite and the Cross Fire are especially interesting to me, both in cost and performance. I wanted to ask, what is the difference between the two? The specs seems to be exactly the same. Also, after 4 years, how are these two kites holding up? Would you recommend these two kites for a someone comfortable with stunt kites and wants to get into tricking?

Thank you for any answers you can provide! Oh and I love your Picasa albums, I viewed the 2013 kites album, and it was amazing. Thank you for that as well!  Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:50 PM »

The Sweet Emotion has been discontinued.

The Cross Fire is now the top model by Skydog.

The Dream On, which is a little smaller is a very nice flier.

the Cross Fire is more of a trickster with a weighted spine.

I felt that as the kites got trickier, they didn't fly as well,

which makes sense. I don't know about the long term durability

of any of the kites as I was merely testing them for "A Wind Of Change".

The initial build quality was very good. Hope that helps.

DaveNYC

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:07 PM »

I see, thanks for your response. I'm able to purchase the Sweet Emotion online and I like the design better. When you tested both, was there any difference between the Sweet Emotion and the Cross Fire? Or are they really the same kite, but rebranded?
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:28 AM »

The Sweet Emotion is a higher aspect ratio, more radically trickable kite

than the Cross Fire. It also doesn't fly as well. That's the price you pay

for the higher trickability.

Captainbob

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 01:48 PM »

The Sweet Emotion has been discontinued.

The Cross Fire is now the top model by Skydog.

The Dream On, which is a little smaller is a very nice flier.

the Cross Fire is more of a trickster with a weighted spine.

I felt that as the kites got trickier, they didn't fly as well,

which makes sense. I don't know about the long term durability

of any of the kites as I was merely testing them for "A Wind Of Change".

The initial build quality was very good. Hope that helps.

I am a newbie into kiting and have 2 Revs, and 3 Dualies that I fly. I have little interest  in tricking, but really enjoy the idea of precision flying and having a "good flying" kite. It seems the kite industry today, is focused almost totally on tricking, and it seems that a precision type kite is starting to be as rare as hen's teeth. That being said, what currently available kites would a flyer interested in for  precision flying?

BTW, my 3 Dualies are:
1 Niknak
2. Zephyr
3. Widow NG

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 02:28 PM »

There are quite a few still in production that can trick and are very capable at precision. The Saber II & III (by Sturdy Kites and one of my favorites), the Nirvana, the Sixth Sense ( favorite homebuild) are the most popular right now. I have seen videos of several other European kites that are quite capable (Veyron, Hugo, etc.) There are more, I'm sure others will chime in. At competitions you will see some other popular kites that are not currently in production (CDC STX and Shiva, Vendetta, Machine, Jinx by Focus).
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:34 PM »

Current production kites:

The Skyburner Solus is a nice big precision kite with excellent trick capability.

The Prism Quantum Pro is an excellent kite for precise flying. Used by world class teams.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:05 PM »

I agree you should put a wanted out for a cdc stx kite 2.3 or 2.5

Sine Metu!
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:16 PM »

While we're calling out great fliers....

The underseen Flying Wings Prediction (2.4m) fits into the great flier category.

It comes in standard and UL and is very well made.

I flew both for "A Wind Of Change" testing.

Don't know the price, but it's a true team kite also.

I have a Quantum Pro (2 actually) and a STX2.3. Really solid fliers.

Prediction (13 photos of both models start at link below):
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:39 PM by chilese » Logged

Captainbob

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06 AM »

Glad to see there are still some kites for the non-tricksters like me.  Thanks for the input.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 08:46 AM »

If we're talking non-production kites, then the Blue Moon Mamba wins in my book for the best combination of flight quality with trick accessibility. It's not as tricky as a newer design, but as a freestyle ballet kite it's hard to find a better. Bridges the era between the old school kite that flew really nice but didn't trick and most newer designs that can do amazing slack line stuff but sacrifices some flight quality to get there.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document