GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 05:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet Emotion by Skydog  (Read 5470 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08 AM »

I'll second everything that's been said sofar. For precision the comp solus really does outshine the original though. Theres a night and day difference, ask any flier thats tried them both.

Allen going off of you, I'll throw another kite out there for non production and thats the mongoose. A bit more accessible tricks than the Mamba, but still smooth as silk and a great tracker.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 11:38 AM »

OK fine.  Since the Mamba and Mongoose are out there, the Mantis/Muse deserve mention as full size smooth flying ballet style kites that will do many tricks if asked.

The Exile while a bit smaller retains much of its larger siblings flyability and smoothness - that Blue Moon feel.  For me its tricks are the most accessible of the BMK family. The Exile is adaptable with weight, standoff, and even US changes. You can stack them and pull long tube tails. Grin Most importantly, the Exile is the largest kite that will fit in my car trunk with LEs assembled.

I should add that while Ken's kites will do many tricks (gracefully), they do not give tricks away for free.  You do have to ask nicely.  The exception is Mr Hall who has a special license for unlimited cascades at his discretion  Smiley

I'll second everything that's been said sofar. For precision the comp solus really does outshine the original though. Theres a night and day difference, ask any flier thats tried them both.

Allen going off of you, I'll throw another kite out there for non production and thats the mongoose. A bit more accessible tricks than the Mamba, but still smooth as silk and a great tracker.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:53 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 04:42 PM »

what a shame and real pity that blue moon kites are not made any more!!! Cry

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 05:44 PM »

Honestly with Ken you NEVER know what might pop up on his website.........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 07:20 PM »

If we're talking non-production kites, then the Blue Moon Mamba wins in my book for the best combination of flight quality with trick accessibility. It's not as tricky as a newer design, but as a freestyle ballet kite it's hard to find a better. Bridges the era between the old school kite that flew really nice but didn't trick and most newer designs that can do amazing slack line stuff but sacrifices some flight quality to get there.

If its the mamba that gwtw steve's wife was flying to win that days contest in Auburn, I must agree. Never seen a girl (or guy) make a dualie dance so well to the music.  Grin
I think allen was there that day too.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:26 PM by Dano » Logged
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 12:05 PM »

The Sweet Emotion has been discontinued.

The Cross Fire is now the top model by Skydog.

The Dream On, which is a little smaller is a very nice flier.

the Cross Fire is more of a trickster with a weighted spine.

I felt that as the kites got trickier, they didn't fly as well,

which makes sense. I don't know about the long term durability

of any of the kites as I was merely testing them for "A Wind Of Change".

The initial build quality was very good. Hope that helps.

I am a newbie into kiting and have 2 Revs, and 3 Dualies that I fly. I have little interest  in tricking, but really enjoy the idea of precision flying and having a "good flying" kite. It seems the kite industry today, is focused almost totally on tricking, and it seems that a precision type kite is starting to be as rare as hen's teeth. That being said, what currently available kites would a flyer interested in for  precision flying?

BTW, my 3 Dualies are:
1 Niknak
2. Zephyr
3. Widow NG

I'm finding myself developing into a precision/ballet type flier...the same as CBob. While I want to learn some tricks to round out my experience and skill with a sport kite, I'm leaning more toward precision flying, possibly team flying or ballet in the future. Chilese, I appreciate your valuable info that you post here. Your write-ups are spot on and are a great help to any pilot... especially a new one, like me.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32 PM »

One of the many reasons I recommend the Mamba is because there are a LOT of them out there.

Really, if your interest in sport kites goes beyond the basics and whatever is trendy these days, you'll need to be open to lots of kites that are no longer made. There are tens of thousands of excellent sport kites sitting in garages and closets all over the world. Most of which are very lightly flown. Used sport kites are a very safe buy.

Buy new if you like what's on the market, lord knows our kite making brothers and sisters can use the buck, but don't limit yourself.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:35 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
SparkieRob

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 05:53 PM »

+1

"Bring out your dead....!"

Have cash....

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27 PM »

I started flying back in the early 80's saw the whole modern sport kites start.

To this day I don't feel comfortable with kites that don't have precision no matter how well they trick.

I still have most of my old skool kites.  They do not fly like any of today's modern sport kites.  I recommend them highly. It is a whole another world.

Cpt. Nemo

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52 PM »

I love skydogs sweet emotion.  I have a lot of kites and this is the only one that does everything I want a kite to do.  The comete isn't so easy and balancing this kite in the fade is a little tricky because the kite is so yo-yo happy. When I get my tax refund I'm buying as many as I can while there's still some out there.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:55 PM by Cpt. Nemo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum