GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desire UL Questions  (Read 3115 times)
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: February 27, 2010, 04:06 AM »

Hey guys,

I am mostly into quads and fighters, but every once in a while I will pick up a dualie and give it a try.  Because of the lack of wind around here most of the time, I aquired a Desire recently to once again try to get into dualies.

I have tried to fly this thing twice now and both times I broke the left lower spreader.  Now I know I am not the gentlest of guys, but it got me to thinking something is a bit out of whack here.

I have noticed that the ferrel that holds the lower spreaders at the cross T has a dehidral.  Should this be straight?

I hope to find this out before I try it again.  I am getting sick of replacing rods and this is definitely not helping me get into dualies.

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:38 AM »

I don't know about the Desire but I DO know that SULs are very fragile. They don't fly like standards. Somebody once wrote that flying a SUL is like ballroom dancing - you have to coax your partner. Flying a standard is more like dancing the jitterbug - you  just have to fling your partner.

I broke a lot of sticks on my Prism Flashlight many years ago as I learned to fly duals - especially learning to cartwheel. Last year I got a Nirvana WW (SUL) and and broke the leading edge when I tried to axel it too hard. It happens.

Although I prefer duals, I got a Blue Moon 61/49 for something different when the wind is low. (I also got a E-flite Blade MCX r/c helicopter to fly indoors when I can't get outside - like now.)

Now, let's see if someone has some experience with the Desire to answer your question...

Bob D.
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:27 AM »

Sorry to hear your bad fortune there Burke.

Are you trying to do tip staps with that thing or doing some really hard landings?   Huh

I dont remember the exact style of the center T it had but it is the original,
and wasn't bent before you got it.  Wink

You're not yanking on it too hard during ground recoveries or during a tip wrap are you?

Let's figure this thing out before you get that new 4D unwrapped.
can you get a pic of the T posted up?

-d
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:17 AM »

pm sent to you Burke.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50 AM »

Hey guys,

I have noticed that the ferrel that holds the lower spreaders at the cross T has a dehidral.  Should this be straight?

No the C/T comes bent...............The Desire becomes very fragile at it's upper wind range.........and lower spreaders are the first to go, in my experience.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Burke

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:12 AM »

That is kinda what I was afraid of.  I am just a little too rough for this kite right now.  I was probably toward the top of it's wind range when I was flying it and handling it like a standard.  I will probably have to wait until Spring when the winds normalize (none) and try it again (gently).

I have that 4D coming soon and I think that is going to end up being my go to dualie.  I will likely end up selling or trading off the Desire if the 4D will do what I am hoping (fly easily in 1 - 2 mph winds).  I will have to do a fly off when it gets here.

I am getting ready to slim down the kite collection to just the few I fly all the time and a couple of festival kites.  I would like to have a dualie or two in there for the times when the urge hits me to try them again.

Burke
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:16 AM »

Strange.... I seem to remember the Center-T as being straight...

The lower spreaders are definitely the most likely spar to break.... easy enough to get a bunch of rods and cut them down to size as it was fairly inexpensive.

The lower spreaders did tend to slide around a lot in the "T" even with the LE snugged up.  Especially as the wing was loading/unloading.

I took to larksheading an elastic on the spreaders just outside the stoppers.  This stopped the spreaders from sliding around as much and the breakage rate seemed to drop off.

Yanking and spanking the Desire will get you penalized though.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:25 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Bob D

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:18 AM »

I don't have a wind meter but if 1 or 2 mph is something you can barely feel on the back of your neck then you'll have to fly an SUL if you want to fly. And I would guess that it's going to be something with 2PT sticks. No matter which kite you get, they're all going to need the ballroom dancing approach to flying. I can't do too much with that kind of wind (or lack of wind) but it's nice to see what you can do to develop a more graceful flying style.

(A tip for removing nocks: Put a little dish soap under as it you're trying to slide it off. Someone (I think it was RandyG) gave me that tip last year and it really made it a lot easier.)

Bob D.
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:47 PM »

I probably have more airtime on NTK Desire UL then most people. I have 5 of them. The older version Desires had a metal center-T ferrule, and if you flew the kite above the recommend upper wind range (8-12 mph), the metal center-T ferrule will bend. The center-T block that the metal ferrule is slid into is a made by Avia and has a retaining set screw in the front center of the spine to bottom spreader connector block. I've bent the center-t metal ferrule before, and to straighten it back out, I would loosen the screw, then remove the center-t ferrule and carefully straighten it out by lightly tapping on it with a hammer, then reinsert it. The new Desire UL versions have a molded plastic center-T fitting. If your kite has the metal center-t Ferrule, then you have the older version, which in my opinion, flies much better than the newer versions.

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Kantaxel

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 02:54 PM »

The older version Desires had a metal center-T ferrule, and if you flew the kite above the recommend upper wind range (8-12 mph), the metal center-T ferrule will bend. The center-T block that the metal ferrule is slid into is a made by Avia and has a retaining set screw in the front center of the spine to bottom spreader connector block. I've bent the center-t metal ferrule before, and to straighten it back out, I would loosen the screw, then remove the center-t ferrule and carefully straighten it out by lightly tapping on it with a hammer, then reinsert it. The new Desire UL versions have a molded plastic center-T fitting. If your kite has the metal center-t Ferrule, then you have the older version, which in my opinion, flies much better than the newer versions.

Wow!  We bought ours new and have never flown it above 5 or 6 and I can't remember seeing it any other way........do you think it might bend from just spanking the kite?  I know that's happened Embarrassed

TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:01 PM »

Wow!  We bought ours new and have never flown it above 5 or 6 and I can't remember seeing it any other way........do you think it might bend from just spanking the kite?  I know that's happened Embarrassed

The Desire UL will not take heavy handed attempts to do slack line tricks, without possible breakage. Like many UL's its a finesse type kite. It is capable of handling basic flat axels, fades, stalls, slow rotating moves, or just basic flying when not much else will fly. But it does not do well when trying to do roll ups, flic flacs, or fast axels, because of frame distortion. The frame that is in the old versions is Avia .1570 carbon, and is quite flemsy if you muscle the kite around or fly in too strong of wind. If you were as you say "spanking the kite" you could very easily bend the metal center-t or break bottom spreaders. Like I said, it's best to fly it with finesse. Many UL's are like this. very few are capable of heavy handed tricks, without suffering eventual damage.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:05 PM by TGunn » Logged

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Kantaxel

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:20 PM »

The Desire UL will not take heavy handed attempts to do slack line tricks, without possible breakage. Like many UL's its a finesse type kite. It is capable of handling basic flat axels, fades, stalls, slow rotating moves, or just basic flying when not much else will fly. But it does not do well when trying to do roll ups, flic flacs, or fast axels, because of frame distortion. The frame that is in the old versions is Avia .1570 carbon, and is quite flemsy if you muscle the kite around or fly in too strong of wind. If you were as you say "spanking the kite" you could very easily bend the metal center-t or break bottom spreaders. Like I said, it's best to fly it with finesse. Many UL's are like this. very few are capable of heavy handed tricks, without suffering eventual damage.

Well, I've done both apparently..............My hands are still heavy, but I haven't broken the Desire' lately.

thanks,
Jim

Burke

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 04:24 AM »

Thanks for the additional info Troy.  Mine is the older one with the metal T and the .157 frame.  I will try and straighten the ferrel as you recommend.  I also have another ferrel I can use.

The hardest part will be being gentler with it.  As I stated from the beginning, I am a quadhead and fighter kiter, not a dualie driver.  I really should be learning on a more robust kite, but you don't get much air time around here with such.  It is fly a SUL or wait for a storm.

I will soon have my hands on a 4D.  Maybe it can deal with the thrashings of a newbie.   Wink

Burke
Bob D

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49 AM »

If you're flying a SUL, you're dancing with a real lady. Handle her with care!

Bob D.
Burke

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:51 AM »

Yesterday morning I straightened the tube and took "Her" to the field.  The wind was almost nothing.  "She" rose gracefully into the air and we danced for most of an hour.

It was a good day.

Burke
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change