GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 12:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I keep poking the spine through the top of the kite (HELP?)  (Read 4214 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 28, 2010, 05:42 PM »

I figure this is because I keep dragging it all over the field.

Is there a way to strengthen the tip of the kite so the spine does not keep poking out?

Each time I cover it up with the tape (Tevlar?) but it just pokes through.  So, I put some to the sail ribbon on first and then cover with the tape.  It still pokes through.  Arggg.

So...how can I fix this little issue that is the cause of me going home every time?  Is there a permanent fix?

Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
kitebug
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:24 PM »

Welcome,

First off,what kind of kite are you flying, and how exactlly is the spine going through, in flight? when you hit the ground?

you may need to add an end cap to the rod on top of reinforcing the nose of the kite, if the hole is beyond the diameter of the new end cap and it still pokes through, you can add a small tee instead of the end cap.

see if that helps

Volando!
Cisco
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:47 PM »

If you spiral some duct tape on itself and push it partway into the spine, it will mushroom slightly and stick out the end of the spine. Then put on the vinyl end cap. The duct tape will act as a shock absorber and help keep the spine end from cutting anything.

Welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:10 PM »

Any/or all of the above.How about sewing it up? 

I figure this is because I keep dragging it all over the field.

As in nose down... dragging it like a plow?  Roll Eyes  Or are you doing high speed nose plants into the ground? I think we need more info.

Chris

Do you have either of these? If not....unless you have someone to help you..I strongly urge you to get one.
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=15
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:13 PM by UPNET » Logged

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
jeepersjoey

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:10 PM »

I can see that I did not give enough info. 

This is an INTO THE WIND - Wisp.  It is a low wind kite. 

The spine has a cap on it and the location in the fabric where the cap goes is sewn to a width only slightly larger than the spine with the cap.

Looking at a normal Delta kite, this is the top of the Delta (peak).

The fabric that covers the peak is worn through because, in my learning, I dragged the kite all over a rocky parking lot is very low wind.  I was learning how to try to turn the kite while on the ground and just dragged it all over the place.  Since I was new, I spent more time on the ground than the air.  Now that I have better control...I do not spend as much time dragging it...but the damage is done and the hole is now the weakest link so once the wind gets a little stronger...out pops the spine through the peak of the kite.

I am using tape that I bought at Into the Wind (I am lucky enough to live 30 minutes from Boulder!) and sail cloth.

I have tried to stick a piece of the sail over the top of the spine cap and then wedge that into the pouch but it still comes poking out the top.

I usually cut a round piece of the cloth and then tape over the top of the hole from front to back.

What I really need is a VERY strong piece of cloth that I can put over the hole and then (somehow) secure to the top.

Someone recommended that I get the Prism DVD.  Yup...got one of those.  Very helpful to watch.

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
jeepersjoey

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:13 PM »

Sorry people....I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum.

I figured I was a beginner and this was a beginner question.

How do I move to the other forum?

Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31 PM »

A patch of stout fabric inside, then sew and/or superglue the nose webbing on the outside. If the edges of the hole still meet (not like a big hunk missing) then a bunch of superglue will hold quite nicely in many cases.

Allen, AKA kitehead
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:31 PM »

There is no reason for you to drag a dual line kite anywhere at any time. Dragging it has nothing to do with using it as a kite. If you are dragging it and trying to get it to fly then you need some help.
 If this is the case send me a PM and I'll spend some time looking on the internet for some basic videos that show you how to launch your kite. Dragging it will likely turn it into a vented kite.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:16 AM »

Hey he's on his first hours flying.

Your patching attempts really need to be inside the the nose fabric, I don't know the kite or how much room there may be inside, the best is a Kevlar patch using the adhesive backed kevlar available at Hang'em High or Kite Builder but if the hole is too big that will fail too. Alternately like Allen mentioned Super Glue works wonders, if the hole is too big though you may need to back it up with some Cordura then super glue it all together.

If you know a good seamstress (seamster?) they could replace the whole nose, find an old Cordura pack or suitcase for the fabric, you'll have to invest in a soldering iron or wood burner to hot cut it to shape. But if you have to pay to have it done it's probably nearly as cheap to buy a new kite. Don't know if any of the members close to you would volunteer to help, there are some excellent builders in your area.

Parking lots, asphalt or packed earth are not the best place to fly, the kite can't get a grip on the surface in order to stand up and they are so abrasive, find a park, sports field or school yard to play in.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chrispie

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14 AM »

hmm.. i think u need leather sewn over the nose.. will be hard work for sure.

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Untitled

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:37 AM »

There is an article in the current(Issue 70) Kitelife Magazine thats goes over replacing the nose.  Will need some sewing machine knowhow though.

Carlton

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 06:42 AM »

And I've heard, never tried it, you can reinforce the nose from the inside with a dollar bill.  Dollar bills have a very, very tight weave and it's hard to poke through one.  Figure out a way to glue it on the inside.
 I kinda get what you're saying about wearing a hole in the nose in the first place.  So, yeah they're right:  find soft dirt, grass or maybe even a beach.  Grass is the best option.  Stay off rough, hard surfaces, that'll be death to a kite.  You'll crash some day and break a spar and/or rip the sail.

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
jeepersjoey

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53 AM »

Thanks all.  I figured that I would need to sew something there.

You are correct...I do have Into The Air (kite Mfg) within 30 minutes of my house.  I spent a hr there for 3 weekends in a row talking with them and getting recommendations and spare parts.  They laughed at me because I bought a complete pile of spare parts for the two kites I had at the time (Wisp and Prism - Quantum).  I said..."I tend to bulldoze my way through things and I am extremely persistent.  I will learn how to master this!"

I do know a seamstress but at $60 for the kite I think I might keep repairing my entry levels until I get the knack of it.  That is why the Prism-Hypnotist is sitting patiently in it's bag while I fly the Quantum.  I slammed the Quantum into a tree TWICE yesterday at full speed...oops!

There is a local club but they meet once a month (2nd Sunday) and it was too cold for them Feb 14th.  Me...I was out standing in my field.  hehe

I like the idea of Cordura.  I really need a close weave fabric.  I am willing to turn it into Frankinstein to get the practice.  And then I will get a better one once I am in control.

Maybe a trip to Into The Wind to get some higher quality fabric is a good idea.  Possibly this weekend.

Until then...lots of repairs.

jeepersjoey

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:44 AM »

I see that there is a way to post pics.  But it says under 100K.  How do I dumb down my pic from 5Meg to 100K?  Does it do it automatically when I upload or do I need to modify first.

Jeez...I am asking all sorts of newbie questions!!!

hehe

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 05:22 PM »

I see that there is a way to post pics.  But it says under 100K.  How do I dumb down my pic from 5Meg to 100K?  Does it do it automatically when I upload or do I need to modify first.

Jeez...I am asking all sorts of newbie questions!!!

hehe
That's the point of having somewhere to ask them! Wink

Most photo programs (and free photo hosting sites) will convert them, but since you are asking, I would recommend setting up an account on something like Photobucket, Flicker, etc...

Start there and if you have more questions let us know...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document