GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 05:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Wars  (Read 3996 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:32 PM »

A dog owner became so upset and aggressive when I asked him to please leash his dog (according to law) that I had to call 911. I have had many dog owners cuss at me and call me names when asking them to control their animals, but this was the first time I actually felt physically threatened. The local police made a timely response to my plea for help and no violence occurred.
Rx
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39 PM »

Too bad, sounds like maybe he needed to be taz'ed  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:46 PM »

Carry a small camera. Take a picture of the owner and dog. And call the police.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:38 PM »

Hmmm.... 18+ years I've been waiting for Police or Animal Control response to dogs threatening me on my own property on my side of the fence, don't see a picture would help much  Angry

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Charly
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:14 AM »

As an ex USPS letter carrier I have 2 words for you.  "Pepper Spray" in VERY liberal amounts for the owner and their mut.  You can't "taze" them both at the same time, but you can darn sure gas them both... Cool

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:45 AM »

Andrew, was that at the SOU field? Are dogs even allowed there at all, leash or not?

I think that's the big drawback with that spot, lots of loose dogs and dog crap too. The last time we flew there at least 10 people came with non leashed dogs. Plus, as you know, they don't pick up the crap either.

I usually fly where there aren't many dogs but when I fly at my secondary spot, there are sometimes unleashed dogs. I have to keep the kite flying until the owners (hopefully) get control. Kind of stressful in poor UL winds. Some people think it's cute when their dog chases my kite around.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27 AM »

Too bad, sounds like maybe he needed to be taz'ed  Cheesy

Oh no that is way to harsh, you need to be nicer. Big bowls of glycol based liquids for them to drink is much better Lips sealed and then you can get mad that they drank your beverage too! Angry

Sine Metu!
glider

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:25 AM »

We had a tough time on our local field this weekend too.  The main dog training field accross the way was taken up by parking so the multi-use field where we fly saw more than its usual share of dogs.  As I was shooing a pair of dogs away, the owner was  muttering to them, "I guess you can't chase kites here.  Down by the river you can chase kites, but not here."  Whah!

The rule on this field is either dogs are on a leash or the owner has control over them.  This lady had neither.  There were easily $1000 in kites on the ground.  Was this lady walking around with $1000 cash just in case her dogs trashed some high-end kites.  I doubt it.  I know one should just be cool and allow the law to resolve issues that come up, but what a pain to have to go thru legal remedies when simply avoiding the damage is so much simpler.  She finally wrangled them in and leashed 'em up, muttering as she walked away.

Another guy's dog made a bee-line at me and the kites around me the second he was let out of the car.  He was barking and growling and generally not looking all that fun to be around.  I had just rolled up a Rev and had a rod in my hand.  The dog was looking pretty threatening and the owner could see that his dog was going to get whapped across the nose if he got much closer.  It took him a good five minutes and some urgent words from me to him before the guy finally gained control over his mut.  I know I wasn't as cool-headed as I could have been.  But that guy sure knew he blew it.  Next time he will not simply open the car door and let his dog go tearing off after the kites.  Preaching to the choir, I know.

Dave
PDX

rxburner
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 11:45 AM »

Andrew, was that at the SOU field? Are dogs even allowed there at all, leash or not?

Yes James, it was the SOU field and dogs are not allowed there even on a leash (I double checked with campus security and the local police), but the place is covered with them and the owners are very aggresive if you suggest they control their pets.
Rx
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Oh no that is way to harsh, you need to be nicer. Big bowls of glycol based liquids for them to drink is much better Lips sealed and then you can get mad that they drank your beverage too! Angry
That would be fine if it was actually the dogs fault. What you need to do is get the owner to have some of the "special" Kool-Ade! Or pepper spray him, then "shock the monkey" repeatedly until he understands how much it hurts when you can't be bothered to "train your dog".

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
kchunks

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 09:53 AM »

I have thought of making a t-shirt or a bumper sticker that says "Support animal rights.  Euthanize their owners."  I live in the midst of several uncontrolled dogs in a town that has a leash law on the books, but I don't think would enforce it in a million years.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01 PM »

I was listening yesterday to NPR, seems England is looking at some new laws. Most importantly is a test for prospective & current dog owners so they'll have to learn the proper care, training and responsibilities that go along with pet ownership. Pretty controversial I guess, but there are similar laws in place in a few countries.

We live in an unenforced area too, plenty of reasonable laws on the books but if they enforce them and fix the problems then the animal control people are out of a job.

Last weekend the dog that has killed & maimed numerous other pets (3 of mine) and attacked Rhonda inside our fenced yard took out another one, a big fight, screaming girls. Their pet is gone, the vicious dog is still here and law enforcement has job security because we live in fear as hostages.

Cry

Makiah
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 12:56 PM »

I live in a small, quiet town that, unfortunately, has some unenlightened dog-owners.  Can't discharge firearms in the city limits, so I got a paintball gun.  The day of (or after) dog issues, I let animal control know that I'm going to visit & talk with the owners of dogs w/neon-green spots.  BTW, the paintballs hit HARD & that usually deters the dogs for a while, anyway.  Now, if I could only do the same thing to the people who drive down the road with their car-stereos blasting so loudly that it hurts my fillings......

Mack
kchunks

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09 PM »

dog-owners.  Can't discharge firearms in the city limits, so I got a paintball gun. 

Careful.  Crossbows, airbows, pellet/bb guns I know are considered firearms by most state/federal laws.  I do not know where paintball guns fall on the list but I think that if an officer had a bone to pick they might look for every excuse.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 03:34 PM »

Wasp spray. It shoots 20 feet fairly accurately.

Better to keep around than pepper spray too.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document