GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 12:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Wars  (Read 3915 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 03:50 PM »

I live in a small, quiet town that, unfortunately, has some unenlightened dog-owners.  Can't discharge firearms in the city limits, so I got a paintball gun.  The day of (or after) dog issues, I let animal control know that I'm going to visit & talk with the owners of dogs w/neon-green spots.  BTW, the paintballs hit HARD & that usually deters the dogs for a while, anyway.  Now, if I could only do the same thing to the people who drive down the road with their car-stereos blasting so loudly that it hurts my fillings......
Just laugh at that problem while you quietly invest in hearing-aid manufacturers !

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:26 PM »

Now, if I could only do the same thing to the people who drive down the road with their car-stereos blasting so loudly that it hurts my fillings......
Just laugh at that problem while you quietly invest in hearing-aid manufacturers !

Dang all these years and I hadn't thought of that, call your broker  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 06:42 PM »

We had a tough time on our local field this weekend too.  The main dog training field accross the way was taken up by parking so the multi-use field where we fly saw more than its usual share of dogs.  As I was shooing a pair of dogs away, the owner was  muttering to them, "I guess you can't chase kites here.  Down by the river you can chase kites, but not here."  Whah!
I was on the field with Dave this same weekend he mentions, had to literally charge and bark down a Pit Bull as he was about to tackle my kite.

They're never in the right, but it sure makes matters worse when kitefliers take an aggressive tone first.

I stick to the facts... Lines can hurt you, $300 laying there on the ground, leash law if applicable, thanks and sorry.

Haven't had any major issues using this tact, my whole time flying.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13 PM »

I'm wondering if Wasp Spray might get you into trouble, it would have damaging and permanent effects & definitely cause a trip to the doctor. Nothing undeserved IMO if you had to resort to that. Sounds like a good idea though, that stuff is nasty & does spray a long way, I could see it stopping a person in their tracks.

Just saying

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
King-J

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 08:16 PM »

The only problem is that most of the time, the dogs owner is clear across the field, so you have no choice but to yell, plus its hard to control the Adrenaline when a $350 to $450 or more kite is just about to get eaten or trampled.
The past two days out flying has lead to dog encounters, yesterday with a chocolate lab (Retriever Shocked) owners comment "No worry his scared of them" my comment, "I've herd that before", Today the lady on the other side of field on walking path, I'm doing a Jacobs Ladder, exit to two point landing, I see the lady point at the kite and here comes her two little poodles, back to the air, that one saved now what do I do with my other one on the ground? no choice but to haller, all around this park are signs about leash law, I have not yet seen anyone sighted for this, so its OK for them to break the law.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
RoyReed

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52 PM »

I feel the pain - this used to be my Exile UL.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:29 PM by RoyReed » Logged

Roy
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58 PM »

Is that from a dog attack?

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02 PM »

Ouch!.  SOrry about that EUL.

I was flying a few days ago (on spring break, back in MI) at a local park here and a few dogs came around. I was flying my Muse Standard and because it was discontinued, I took even more care it making sure the dog didn't get it.
One thing I did do that WORKED however, was an extremely hash snap stall coming from the power zone, directly down, towards the dog, and stopped about 10 feet in the air. I'm not sure if it's common but the dog did NOT like it, and ran back to it's owner. I think it was the snap in the icarex/sail. Just some food for thought...

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 02:53 PM »

Careful.  Crossbows, airbows, pellet/bb guns I know are considered firearms by most state/federal laws.  I do not know where paintball guns fall on the list but I think that if an officer had a bone to pick they might look for every excuse.

Hmmm....  Roll Eyes  Let's see brandishing a gun-like article in a public venue?  Are we taking bets on the likelihood of a member of the PTSD or rookie constabulary doing a proper threat assestmebt before discharging their own weapons in the general direction of the wielder?   

Has all the makings of a cop/lawyer TV drama show... Woo Hoo.

ATB,
Sam
DWayne

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:05 PM »

Last Sunday when we were flying, a couple with a young dog came by where I was flying and turned their mutt lose. I told the guy to put his dog back on a leash. He said "don't worry about your damned kite." So I told to get his mutt on a leash or I'll have you and your mutt hauled off. He said "you need to find something to do with your time besides fly kites". To which I replied, "I have something else to do with my time, when I'm not flying kites I work for the Chico police dept. He quickly grabbed his dog, wife, and kid, and left the park.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 03:09 PM »

Thanks for that, Denny....

Irony and serendipity can be wonderful things.

ATB,
Sam
RoyReed

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 03:39 PM »

Click the link.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:30 PM by RoyReed » Logged

Roy
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41 PM »

Last Sunday when we were flying, a couple with a young dog came by where I was flying and turned their mutt lose. I told the guy to put his dog back on a leash. He said "don't worry about your damned kite." So I told to get his mutt on a leash or I'll have you and your mutt hauled off. He said "you need to find something to do with your time besides fly kites". To which I replied, "I have something else to do with my time, when I'm not flying kites I work for the Chico police dept. He quickly grabbed his dog, wife, and kid, and left the park.  Cheesy

Denny

I need to bring you with me when I fly, Denny Smiley
indigo_wolf

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 03:42 PM »

Click the link.

Got this:

Sorry, '"http//reeddesign.co.uk/wordpress/2009/04/13/yet-another-fking-dog-attack/"' does not exist or is not available.

EDIT:

Was missing ":" after "http"... I get new glasses next week.  Wink

This works:
http://reeddesign.co.uk/wordpress/2009/04/13/yet-another-fking-dog-attack/

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:47 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03 PM »

Never had a dog problem in the hay field/pasture where I fly. I only have a bull problem. Do not fly loud kites when Big Ed is around... Cool

"Do what you like"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document