GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pinwheel  (Read 1922 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: March 21, 2010, 10:32 PM »

i have been playing in light breezes the last few days, just sort of cruising i can get a couple of my kites to pinwheel but it is pretty much luck i would appreciate some help on getting it right
thanx KO ps hey steve feel free  Grin 

have fun kurt
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:04 PM »

Ko,
It's just like the Freestyle pilot DVD says..........go on up to the top of the window and make a tight turn in either direction. pull or give slack when necessary and the kite should go all the way to the ground turning, pretty much by itself....................However there are some kites not floaty enough or some that have weight for tricking that won't want to do it easily..................

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:20 PM »

I'm surprised Allen hasn't posted here. He's rather adept at Pinwheels.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ko

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:30 PM »

hi guys i think allen is sick of me after 4or5 days of fun in the sun KPstyle anyway who needs em???LOL in the prism vid it is mark flying and he is flying a vapor so it looks really easy in the vid it looks to me that he is keeping the lines not snug,but not a lot of slack either i can get the kite started but i need a little insight on tending the lines to keep the kite spinning if it starts to stall i got the fearless light to do a couple of nice ones but again it just feels like luck at this point   KO

have fun kurt
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31 PM »

Not all kites Pinwheel (at least not well).
A really good pinwheel requires no tending of the lines and in my experience there are very few kites that do that, TT UL and Synchro come to mind as kites that I have flown that will do them untended.
The initial set up is key.  The idea is to get the kite FLAT and to start the rotation.  If you've gotten to that point and need to coax the kite around for multiple rotations think about it as doing 540's really high in the window.  A small amount of tension on the line as it is nose away and slightly off center (as in a 540) will coax the next rotation.  It has to be gentle as too much tension will "unflatten" the kite ... end of pinwheel.

Hope that makes sense ... I am terrible at giving trick tips.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 07:35 PM »

Try flying to the top of the window, turn down and immediately flair to pancake, lightly pop a line and slack the other. As the kite turns 180, lightly pop the line you slacked, as the kite turns 360 pop again. The first pop is less than you would for a 540 and the others just enough for the axel. You will probably need to slowly walk towards the kite to keep it laying flat on it's belly the whole time. You want the lines snug enough that you can feel the kite at all times. Your hands will be alternating push..pull..push..pull. Sort of a bicycling motion with the hands. Easier in light winds.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:43 PM »

In my experience with the Vapor, just the wieght of the lines will keep the kite turning.............It's just a matter of giving (and I hate to use the word slack here) line out in order not to stop the rotation.  I think that's what you see in the Freestyle Pilot..............

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:07 PM »

I'm surprised Allen hasn't posted here. He's rather adept at Pinwheels.

what they said...

Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:20 PM »

Also...

In zero wind, with many SULs its dead easy. Get the kite rotating and keep from stepping on the lines. The kite will spin on down and let you catch it.

If there's any wind then the kite will be moving, so line management is an issue.

I don't know the proper definition, but I think of a pinwheel as a single input move. You get the kite spinning and then watch it until you catch it or it moves away far enough for the lines to fetch up and you fly out of it.

With just about any wind you and the kite are moving down wind and in many cases you need to influence the spin repeatedly. Additional inputs. If done smoothly it looks like the kite is pinwheeling, but I think of it as a multiple axel. This is big fun. OK, so I'm odd, but if Denny notices then I must be doing something right.   Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:23 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:36 AM »

Steve and Allen are correct in that the pinwheel should be a single input move. The trick is moderately kite dependent (most will do the first couple of spins but not all the way to the ground). If you know someone with a Prism Zephyr, the pinwheel (for me) is built into that kite.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:47 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:03 AM »

Couple of things besides a kite that is balanced to do them well:

1) Very low, to no wind.

2) Take the kite to the top of the window and then pull it even higher, as close to straight over head as you can, before starting your spin. An alternative method is to start your spin nearly overhead and then walk under once the spin is established.

With the right kite, you should be able to get it to descend directly down to where you are standing.
ko

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48 AM »

thank you everybody the pinwheel is such a graceful and impressive move that i really dont want to pass it up. i will get out in the light stuff and get started with the inner space hope that is the ticket
thanx again KO

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum