GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vapor sail material  (Read 3306 times)
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 05:19 PM »

I'm on a real web archaeology tip at the moment for some reason.

On the Vapor, which uses a delicate monofilm luff panel....the 1/2 mil film is stretchier than the surrounding cloth. This builds a deeper profile forward and helps the kite fly slowly in no-wind conditions.
Mark Reed,
Mar 26 1999.

With it being a film rather than a laminate or even a ripstopped fabric, once it's damaged there's a lot more possibility of the damage getting worse and going from minor aesthetic issue to major structural problem. I've seen quite a few Vapors that tip the scale at much more than their manufacturer's claim due to the amount of Tedlarô holding the sail together.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 05:45 PM »

I have 2 Vapors. They are both pretty. If the black one had been the standard model originally, the white one would be the one we all drool over. There just aren't as many black ones.

It was my understanding the black rainbow Vapors were a special run for GWTW many years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/20022001Kites#5433812331440359458

And the Vapor is surprisingly sturdy. It is one of the most rigid assembled SULs ever. And it will pull hard in a 4 mph wind. Which is a good time to put it away, just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:55 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06 PM »

"And the Vapor is surprisingly sturdy. It is one of the most rigid assembled SULs ever. And it will pull hard in a 4 mph wind. Which is a good time to put it away, just to be on the safe side."

Hallelujah.

The man has seen the light.

Smiley

I had one of those black rainbows for a while. I think Boomer ended up with it?

I have a white rainbow that wasn't one of the GWTW ones. It has a different label from the standard Prism label.

I'll let you have a go with it some time Rob. Wink

There is a small slice in the monofilm. Shocked Sad

Tedlared.

I know RonG has said that if you rip the monofilm panels extensively it does not have all that much effect on the Vapors low wind capabilities.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41 PM »

I would just like to throw in that we have two Vapours.............One first Gen (1996) and one 2nd (1997)

Neither have any issues with cracking mono despite the fact that they are stored in sleeves in hot sun (car top carriers) and garage winter temps (hovering around zero) rolled up and in their sleeves............................to date there have been no issues, and I just checked them both and there is absolutely no checking or cracking with the monofilm.............just wanted to set the record straight with those that would like to disparage the Prisms.  I'm sure that monfilm is probably more delicate than icarex, but some comments, IMO, are made truly out of jealousy and not really based on fact...........I would give up either the left or the right one to have a mint 3rd Gen Vapor............anyone:?........

Oh and a Blackbird Rainbow?   ........both Wink......yeah you heard me!

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54 PM »

garage winter temps (hovering around zero) rolled up and in their sleeves............................to date there have been no issues

Jim, I think that you are playing with fire my friend - you had better store those legendary kites in my heated basement for the winter!  Smiley

Don't worry - I wont fly them while they are in my care (not too too much, that is).

Cool to hear about the infamous blackbird - I had no idea it even existed or to the lengths you guys would go to acquire one!

-Tom

6 kite tom
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 04:53 AM »

just wanted to set the record straight with those that would like to disparage the Prisms.  I'm sure that monfilm is probably more delicate than icarex, but some comments, IMO, are made truly out of jealousy and not really based on fact

Oh the temptation to abuse my mod. status Lips sealed And facepalm.

Mike,
gleeless.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum