GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob with a Quantum  (Read 5864 times)
Boogie
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 03, 2010, 01:06 PM »

I've been lurking around here for the last few months and finally decided to sign up after I purchased a new Quantum to sort of step into the higher end of kites. 
Years ago, when I was a teenager, I bought a stunt kite from wal-mart or toys-r-us.  I flew it a few times but never really got into it.  As a teenager, other things took priority...work, women, etc.  I got married last year and we were at my parents house looking through some old stuff I had stored when I moved out 8 years ago and I found my old Gayla stunt kite.  I got it out and took it to my wife's family farm to fly.  We had a blast with it, but realized it would only fly very well in higher winds, thus prompting me and my inquisitive nature to do some research.  Of course I began to realize there was a whole 'nother realm of kites beyond what is sold at wal-mart and toys-r-us.  After a bit of reading and browsing, I decided on the Quantum.  Of course I'm already looking at a Zephyr and an Aerobe (Wala, whatever) to add to the collection later, but that's just the way I tend to do things...I can't just buy one thing and be done with it. 

Anyhow, I received my quantum today (bought it on ebay, sorry chico) and noticed a couple things.  It was listed as new and that Prism honored the warranty through that seller, and the condition/packing/tags pretty much verify that it's new, but there are a few marks on the sail.  It's not a big deal, it just looks like where it's rubbed on the case in transport, but what's the best way to remove them or clean them off of the sail?  They won't exactly wipe off like dirt.  Also, I noticed on the tags and papers that were included with it indicated that it was a 2005 model.  As long as it's new, that's not a big deal, but just worth noting I guess.  The only other thing I noticed, and maybe this is dumb, but is the fabric normally that....crinkly?  My old kite is made out of a heavier gauge ripstop, but it's quite a bit softer and quiet....but I realize that may be because it's older and more broken in from flying.  Am I to assume that this kite will soften up a bit once flown a while, or is that just the nature of the lighter, more modern fabrics?

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57 PM »

The crinkly-ness will definitely fade.  My Quantum is less than 2 years old, and the sail (which started out crisp) is very, very soft now.  As for cleaning the sail, I've used dish soap & water for most cleaning, and Goo-gone for tougher, stickier problems.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:58 PM »

the newer fabrics are lighter, but are also coated which beyond making them 'crinkly' makes them stronger than their predecessors.

Fdeli
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11 PM »

I got the exact same thing.

Mine was off Ebay and it had the "brochure" of 2005.  I think that it was that the PAPERWORK was released in 2005, not that the KITE was 2005.

I have had no problems with mine and feel that I got a new kite.

Do not worry.  Go out and fly it...the krinkly will fade once there is a little use.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Boogie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:40 PM »

Cool, like I said, the kite itself is in new condition so it's not a huge deal.  As for the crinkly fabric, I figured it would eventually come out, just wondered if it was like that for everyone else.  I've got the kite all setup and leaning against the wall in our spare bedroom, hopefully that'll take some of the wrinkles and whatnot out of it where it was stored.  I left the standoffs out though to keep from stretching the sail.  I know it's not going to stretch that much if at all, but the newness of it all has me overly cautious.  Speaking of the standoffs, are they meant to bow up or bow the lower spreader out that much?  I realize they might a little since they're meant to keep tension on the sail, just wondering.  Thanks for the replies and tolerating my "crinkle-phobia", lol.  Good news is, the wife likes it and we're both eyeing the Aerobe as well.

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
King-J

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:13 PM »

If you don't mind me asking but what did you pay for the Quantum on e-gag, I mean e-bay and is it a plain Quantum or a Quantum Pro and did you pay shipping? Steve has the plain Quantum and the Pro, and Steve will ship either one for Free. I have bought a few things from e-bay new and used, so far all my dealings are not what I have expected, most things new from e-bay are there general because they may have a very small flaw and that is why their, I may get a little flack from you e-bayers but this is my experience so far.
My recommendation for any purchase of a kites or accessories would be to get what you need from Steve or one of the sponsor's on your right, that way you know your getting all the latest up-to-date stuff and the reputation to back your purchase. Sorry just my opinion Please don't take offence to this

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
King-J

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19 PM »

Sorry Boogie, for the above on e-bay. The Aerobe is a fun to fly SLK when there is no Wind. 
check out me Video on Youtube on the aerobe

Kite, Aerobe SLK MV 2

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 05:57 PM »

My Quantum was $76 and $8.99 shipping from Ebay.

That was before I found this place...so ignorance is bliss.  I will buy from Steve when I move up.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:08 PM »

if you're lucky enough to have a local kite merchant, they're worth your support as well.

Fdeli
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44 PM »

welcome boogie crinkly is a good thing along with that new kite smell!! great kite to start with get yourself some line sets and for sure a prism dvd from steve and you are good to go for a while have fun KO  http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=54

have fun kurt
Boogie

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:56 AM »

If you don't mind me asking but what did you pay for the Quantum on e-gag, I mean e-bay and is it a plain Quantum or a Quantum Pro and did you pay shipping? Steve has the plain Quantum and the Pro, and Steve will ship either one for Free. I have bought a few things from e-bay new and used, so far all my dealings are not what I have expected, most things new from e-bay are there general because they may have a very small flaw and that is why their, I may get a little flack from you e-bayers but this is my experience so far.
My recommendation for any purchase of a kites or accessories would be to get what you need from Steve or one of the sponsor's on your right, that way you know your getting all the latest up-to-date stuff and the reputation to back your purchase. Sorry just my opinion Please don't take offence to this

No offense taken, I myself am not the biggest fan of eFail as I like to call it.  I had purchased it actually before I realized that Steve had an actual shop here.  I got a pretty good price on it I think, $89 with free shipping, and he claims that the prism warranties are valid through his shop.  Hopefully I won't have to find out though.  I would have preferred to have gone through an actual kite shop, but there are no local shops and most places online it was over $100, plus shipping...so I opted to go through a shop on ebay...everythingflight I believe.  My next purchase (the Aerobe) will most definitely be through Steve though. 

Boogie

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 07:58 AM »

Managed to get the Quantum out a few times last week at the local park.  It flies wonderfully and extremely fast compared to my old Gayla stunt kite, which is what I was expecting.  I only managed to plow it into the ground a couple times, none of which were really violent or at full speed.  It was mostly from spinning too low and losing momentum when coming out of the spin to go back up, causing me to overcorrect and lawn dart it into the ground.  It does make for a hilarious noise, as unnerving as it might be.  At least it has the shock absorber on the spine.  I'm definitely hooked as I can't wait to get back out again this week and fly some more.  Of course I've started looking at other kites to add to my collection soon, but I'm not sure what to get next.  I love the speed and control of my dualie, but I'm not sure how interested I'll be in much more than that, all the tricks and whatnot.  I like zooming around for a bit, but that's about it.  I've been eyeballing the Revolutions, but I'm not sure they would be worth fooling with since we do not have many steady winds very often around here as opposed to a coastal area or wherever there might be steady wind...which seems to be where they would be the most fun.  I just don't think that they would be much fun or any more fun in gusty winds than a dualie.  Would I be wrong?  Would it be worth it to try to learn some basic tricks on the Quantum and maybe upgrade to something lighter later on?  Either way, I'm having fun right now, so it's all good.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17 AM »

Keep flying your Quantum to make sure that you truly like kites. I got a Prism Ion back in the 90s and then a Prism Flashlight a few years after. (I got the Flashlight because our wind inland is mostly pretty light.) I flew both of them and was quite happy just flying around for a number of years. I didn't know the meaning of slack until after I had been flying at least 7 years. I was a definite convert. At that point, I discovered the forum here. if you decide that you're a convert to kiting after you've been flying a while, then think about upgrading. Steve (our gracious GWTW forum host and Chico Kites guy) is a great resource to recommend something new. If you can't afford new, then keep your eyes open for something interesting in the Swap Meet.

If you're interested in Revs, it's a whole different experience. When I got my Rev Supersonic (the 1.5 is a better all-around choice), it took me a long time to figure out how to launch it and keep it up in the air. Quads are more about precision flying. Duals (for me) are more about doing tricks.

I was happy to just fly around for a long time. Now I'm the eternal student learning how to do tricks. Whatever you do, flying kites is about having fun.

Bob D.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:32 AM »

I personally don't enjoy the Rev's in gusty, variable winds. The Rev 1.5 vented in high winds is a blast though and any Rev in smooth winds is. Well I take that back sort of I have a blast with the Rev II anytime there is amplified music and enough wind that you're not fighting it.

If you like speed and just zooming around at this point take a look at the Prism Micron, in high winds it is LYAO fast. Steve can also get the 5 stack of Microns if you're interested in that, five colorful kites with tails streaming behind is always a crowd pleaser.

Flying the Five-Stack

Or for now grab yourself a matching Transition Tail in 48' or 96' for your Quantum, it pulls tails well &  they add another dimension to your flying.

Stunt Kite with 100 foot tail

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:45 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Boogie

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 09:13 AM »

I'm definitely going to be flying the Quantum a bit more before buying another kite.  I probably won't get another kite until late spring/early summer, so I'm just enjoying what I got for now.  Anyhow, if I stick with it, I think I'm going to try out a quad like the Rev 1.5SLE.  I'm used to flying r/c heli's, so I think I can get the hang of quad lines pretty quickly. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document