GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob with a Quantum  (Read 5692 times)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 11:58 AM »

if you fly a 4+ channel r/c heli, flying a quad should be nooooo problem for you. and if you've done 3d flying with a heli you already have all the necessary skills to really excel at quad line kite flying.

Fdeli
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 12:00 PM »

I can almost hover my heli's, does that help? lol Grin

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Boogie
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:35 PM »

I can do basic "scale" flying with helis.  Circuits, hovering, etc.  I can do 3D maneuvers like inverted hovers, tic tocs, etc on a sim, but never had enough balls to try it in real life yet.  We're supposed to have a big Kite Fest in Lexington, KY in April so hopefully I'll get a chance to see some Revs in action.  My big issue, as I said before, is flying them around here with the gusty Ky wind...but there are a few parks laid out on flat land that usually has a steady breeze on a good day.  Combine that with using a lighter LE in the 1.5 SLE, I think I may be ok, or am I completely off the track?   Embarrassed

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
xuzme720

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 12:52 PM »

I can do basic "scale" flying with helis.  Circuits, hovering, etc.  I can do 3D maneuvers like inverted hovers, tic tocs, etc on a sim, but never had enough balls to try it in real life yet.  We're supposed to have a big Kite Fest in Lexington, KY in April so hopefully I'll get a chance to see some Revs in action.  My big issue, as I said before, is flying them around here with the gusty Ky wind...but there are a few parks laid out on flat land that usually has a steady breeze on a good day.  Combine that with using a lighter LE in the 1.5 SLE, I think I may be ok, or am I completely off the track?   Embarrassed
I am actually about where you are as far as heli's are concerned, in that I fly really well on the sim, but not quite ready to try the 3D 'for real' just yet.
Really, I think the only thing that will translate to the Revs is coordination. As you know, it takes a great deal of it to fly heli's. The Revs I find are much easier to learn to fly, but just as hard to really fly well. The learning curve is nowhere nearly as steep though! And I know the crashes are cheaper! lol
I find the hardest thing is swapping my mindset going from 2 to 4 lines...I still find my hands want to push/pull instead of tilt for the turns, but that is from all that time learning the automatic response on just 2 lines...
I do still fly mainly duals, but I love my Rev. I have the 1.5 as well and find that it does like the smoother air better but I am now to the point that I can keep it flying even in the rough stuff around where I live.

Asfink tersez wot....

Boogie

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41 PM »

Yeah, I figured the coordination and quick reflexes will help.  I keep thinking about the quote many people use to describe flying a heli, "Trying to balance a marble on the back of a spoon", lol.  I figure it will take a bit of getting used to going from the push pull of the dualies, but hopefully I won't completely destroy a Rev before I get used to it.    Huh

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
kiten00b
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 04:28 PM »

developing an efficient line management system is one of the biggest hurdles for novice quad fliers. line tangles can that take a lot of fun out of quads.
xuzme720

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:33 PM »

developing an efficient line management system is one of the biggest hurdles for novice quad fliers. line tangles can that take a lot of fun out of quads.
I am assuming you mean while packing/unpacking and not while actually in the air?

Asfink tersez wot....

kiten00b
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:04 PM »

line management in the air is more an issue for quad teams
xuzme720

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18 PM »

line management in the air is more an issue for quad teams
oops! Embarrassed

I hadn't even thought of that, but it will likely be some time before Boogie takes up team flying on quads... As for myself, I don't see team flying in the foreseeable future unless it's foils with the wife...I can't find anyone close to fly with. Cry

Asfink tersez wot....

Boogie

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 09:56 AM »

I've been watching a few tutorials on line management, so hopefully it won't be too big of a challenge.  As for line management with teams, I do not see how they do it, talk about a challenge...

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:05 AM »

If you DO get a quad, start off with having your lines on two winders. It's easy to get the two linesets all tangled if they're on one winder. Been there done that. One tip is to larkshead the top and bottom line together. Line tangles can be a real mess with quads.

Flying tip: Tip the right handle forward (down) to turn right. Tip the left handle (down) to turn left. Pulling and pushing doesn't turn a quad - that helps to side slide it.

Bob D.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 07:23 PM »

... using a lighter LE in the 1.5 SLE, I think I may be ok, or am I completely off the track?   Embarrassed

Many people prefer the standard leading edge over the SLE, myself included after trying one in my Rev 1.

Interesting thing about Rev's, people who have never flown a dual line kite can often pick them up quicker then those of us who already have push/pull ingrained. Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to get a basic lesson and try one out while you're waiting to jump in. First day may be frustrating, second day you'll get some quality airtime, third day things start to click, don't let that first & second day discourage you, it's just a different way of doing things.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 01:52 AM »

I know it's late and my eyes aren't working properly when I can swear the title read, "Boob with a Quantum." Huh Shocked Cheesy

Ron
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 06:40 PM »

Ron,

Don't feel bad.  I keep getting tricked by the subject and visiting this forum forgetting that I was sorely mistaken last time.

Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Boogie

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 03:20 PM »

Lol, Boob with a Quantum....some who watch me fly may agree with that.   Cheesy

It's a bit frustrating at times because it's made for higher winds than what KY typically has to offer, but I can usually get in a few flights when the weather changes.  I will say that whatever kite I go with next, WILL be a UL.  I'm getting ready to order an Aerobe (Wala) just to have something to fly in low/no wind...but eventually I'd like to order a UL dualie or quad.

Sorry I replied a month late, been busy.   Embarrassed

Edit:  After looking through some other threads, it looks like I'll have to order a Prism 4D, they look REALLY promising for a low/no wind dualie!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:25 PM by Boogie » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document