GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever get punished for flying near an airport?  (Read 6676 times)
kchunks
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 04, 2010, 06:47 AM »

I live close to an airport and on occasion I fly kites in the nearby park.  I recently checked and learned that it is not legal to fly any kite within 5 miles of an airport.  I am not concerned about it too much and I don't expect anything to happen if I keep flying small kites on 100' of line or less.  But, it got me wondering, has anyone ever actually seen this law enforced?
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:05 AM »

I used to work at a UK airport, sometime in the late 90's someone flew a kite very close to the airport but the police chose to move him on with threats of 'flying too close to a road'. I don't know if he was charged.

For a while we also used to regularly get big trucks releasing hundreds of racing pigeons in a layby a couple of hundred yards from the inbound flight path, really close to the end of the runway Huh So sometimes you do need these laws to keep the numpties at bay.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:39 AM »

The FAA regulation 101, which brings in airports as part of its text is applicable only to kites weighing MORE than 5 pounds.

Legally, you should be exempt unless you're flying something huge.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43 AM »

keep in mind the color of your kite!!!!!
I had a customer purchase a bright orange Benson Box of Tricks from us....he always flew at the end of a small airport in upstate new york....never had any issues....until he flew that BoT!!!!  he had seen that a small plane was getting ready to land...thought nothing of it...then the plane veered off  back into the air.....a few minutes later the airport security got to where he was....
apparently the pilot took him flying a bright orange kite as a danger signal.....and took off again to avoid any issues.........

we offered to exchange the kite for him Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57 AM »

The Richmond Air Force has been flying at Dorey Park in Henrico County (near Riichmond, VA) for more than 20 years. Richmond International Airport is just over 2 miles away. The landing pattern is directly under our field. We have discussed the regulations with the Tower personnel many times and we have never had any problems with them. I have been told that regulations do not apply to kites under 5 pounds. We have been asked to fly under 150 feet and we have no problem with that since we are primarily a sport kite club. We have a kite festival for children on that field every year (this coming Saturday by the way and expecting 4000 people) and we can't police the children or their parents. There's always that one goofy parent who wants to set a new height record so we ASK them to haul in and explain the landing pattern but if they refuse, we have no authority. Still, the airport has never taken notice. We have been told by Tower personnel about the 5 pound limit.

Stoney  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:00 AM by the*real*stoney » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49 AM »

I have flown on a small grass strip in northern Michigan, and only once has a plane come to land while I was there, I landed my kites and waited for the plane to park before relaunching.

This girl wasn't so lucky flying 2 miles from a airport.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kchunks

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45 PM »

Does that 5 pound weight limit hold true for the 500' limit as well?  It is apparently not legal to fly a kite more than 500 feet above ground- anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:36 PM by kchunks » Logged
kiten00b
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10 PM »

I used to fly off a dock with a Rev on 25' lines and some guy in a suit said I couldn't fly there because seaplanes land a few thousand feet from there. I pointed out my lines were 25' long, but Mr. Suitguy insisted I scram.
kitechick
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:22 PM »

This girl wasn't so lucky flying 2 miles from a airport.
[/quote]

Very interesting story from 12 years ago given that there is a kite flying park at Shoreline in Mountain View and people fly there all the time. There is no ban today on flying there.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:23 PM »

Guess that is better than this guy!

Kite surfer gets caught on airplane

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:13 PM »

There has been much debate on whether that video is real or made up, I heard somebody say that there was no news article published at the same time. Has there been a definate true or fake yet?

Mike's article on the young girl was a scary read then and now, it's haunted me since 1988. As I read it originally she was pulled quite high into the air at first and was swinging down and only about 10 feet high when she let go, but imagine she would've been going pretty fast. I wonder if she ever flew kites again?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:15 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 08:25 PM »

I am pretty sure the vid is fake. seen it a few times, but consider the G-forces involved with going from <30MPH to over 100 in a blink of an eye. Do you have any linesets that will handle that?

It's a real shame when parents can't seem to use common sense when it comes to their kids. A few things stand out in this story. The pilot told someone he was at 800' when the collision occured. This, combined with the fact that the parents even stated that they had seen planes flying overhead shows a total lack of any sense. Especially when flying at 800' + that close to an airport. I guess I will just  Lips sealed

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47 PM »

Our flying field is 2 to 3 miles from this areas big airport. We are not in the flight path for the big jets but we have seen a few small prop type planes fly over but they are still at a fairly high alttitude. We have never had any problems.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 08:59 PM »

Come on....who flys a kite at 800'?   Huh  I don't buy this!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13 PM »

Our field is too close at 2 1/2 miles also, and Chico being the home base for the Air Fire Bombers they come lumbering over pretty low at times, and we are directly in their flight path, they pass just north of us usually. But we heed the 500' max height even though the kites are under 5 lbs. Most of us rarely get much over 100' - 150' except for Ted who likes to get in cleaner air. The kites look bigger lower, there's less neck strain and we can judge where they'll land better. That's an additional safety benefit, lines across the road could be nearly as hazardous as an airplane snagging it and clothes-lining bike riders on the paths is frowned on too.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:16 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change