GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 02:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever get punished for flying near an airport?  (Read 6746 times)
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 09:38 PM »

I came across a report about a year ago (or so) of a fellow who buzzed a jetliner (can't remember if it was landing or taking off) with an RC plane. The RC was caught in the wash, and was totally mangled. He and his buddies had filmed it. They had a good laugh about it, and posted the video on YouTube. The authorities were not impressed however, and came down on him pretty hard. It's lucky the thing wasn't sucked into the turbine.

Josh
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56 PM »

...and clothes-lining bike riders on the paths is frowned on too.

But wouldn't that be akin to hitting the ball cart on the driving range? Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28 AM »

The national/DC monument grounds are right near a "no-fly zone" plus an int'l airport.  We have been warned that our kites show-up on radar (a Sutton 252 with 2 forty foot spin-socks) occasionally.  We always need to land all kites when the white house choppers come in, usually for an hour!
kitelover

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 05:04 AM »

A friend flying a large inflatable at a Park near the Oakland Airport was quickly visited by Airport Security and told to "Take it down NOW". This was pre 9/11 and I'm sure he was on less than 200', but he was on the Radar.
kitepilot

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 01:21 PM »

A family had just bought a new delta and hardwood spool of 1000 feet and asked where my favorite beach is. I told them the beach next to the Hotel Del Coronado is my favorite with the soft white sand with flecks of gold (actually pyrite, foolsí gold), and good restaurants nearby.  Now, Iíve flown a kite nearly everywhere in San Diego County, except there, and forgot about the military airport nearby.  The Dad came into the store the next day with a big smile on his face and said, ďIíve been kicked out of parties, bars, and even a bowling alley.  Thatís the 1st time Iíve ever been kicked out of a beach!Ē  The lifeguards were not entertained by his familyís 56Ē delta with three flowing organza tails at 600 feet!!!  No fines, nobody harmed, and a new story for Dad.     Smiley  kitepilot
Jim Foster

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04 PM »

We have a friend living in the condos on the beach across the street from the Hotel Del.  We have been told that it is illegal to fly a kite on the beach north of that breakwater, in front of the hotel.  Flying south of the breakwater, in front of the condos, is OK.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 11:55 PM »

I live/fly about 3 miles from a small municipal airport and about 5 miles from a couple of commercial float plane terminals and a "public/gov`t" dock/wharf and am out of the flight paths. Quite a few helicopters fly by as well, following the coastline, but well up in the air. No problems there either...but what has been a problem from time to time is some idiot flying their float plane right along the coastline at a couple of hundred feet, literally right above where you`re flying, not to mention any other folks on the beach. I keep any single liners about 100'-125' above the ground and my longest dual or quad lines are 100'....but still with these lengths/kite height a plane zinging by a hundred feet above that can be unnerving. If I can see or hear a plane coming very low I`ll land the kite and give the pilot the finger as they are well under the height restrictions for an aircraft. Unfortunately I`ve never been able to get a planes # and don`t know the makes/models.... This happens a couple of times a year.
Years ago we were on Iona Beach near Vancouver airport flying a couple of small pocket parafoils, and a parks person asked us to stop......blanket policy in regard to any kites irregardless of kite weight or flying height. No problem as they were cool and we had only put the kites up while we stopped our hike for lunch....
Last spring I had to get out of the way of the small(er) coast guard hovercraft as it "landed" close to where I was flying. They had to check something out near the mouth of the creek and or course that day I was flying a quad over the water where the creek meets the ocean.... I had put the kite down back on the shore, as they were getting fairly close and had waved hello at them. They waved back and asked me very politely, over their loudspeaker to move as they wished to come ashore to land. No problem complying there. Some of the crew had noticed kites flying before at the beach as they (the hovercrafts) come by every once in a while usually a ways offshore. Turned out one of the crew liked to fly big flowform kites with lots of laundry...but not off the hovercraft...
bt
Chooks

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 04:14 AM »

Yes Josh, here it is. Still hasn't gone to court yet!!
This happened in Perth Western Australia
Perth.model plane flies into path of Virgin Blue jet .

Cheers
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 07:07 AM »

Friend was kite surfing about 1/2 mile away from a large airport. Said he was "visited" and asked not to fly his kite there as it showed up on their RADAR. He said they were very polite.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
bear1962

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 05:10 PM »

FAA regulations 14 CFR part 101.1 has a general catch-all for kites in that those weighing over 5 lbs. must be limited at all times to 500' AGL (Above Ground Level).

14 CFR part 101.17 mandates not flying within 5 miles of the boundry of an airport.

14 CFR part 77 has some various rules but essentially, don't fly a kite within 5 nautical miles of an airport above 500' (100' for each NM away from the airport, to a max of 500').

Keep in mind though that most municipalities have their own rules for kite flying, as they own the airports and the liability if an accident occurs.

Violating the Federal regulation is a misdemenor, but the municipalities will have their own punishments/fines.

Just as a general rule, stay clear of airports. I'd hate to be the person who's kite kills a family out for a beautiful day of flying.

Tony
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:44 AM by bear1962 » Logged

Any day at the coast is a great day !!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum