GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 11:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The care and feeding of kite tails  (Read 1405 times)
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 04, 2010, 07:00 PM »

How in the world do you deal with a tube tail?  Man I sealed the end with a bic lighter and  tied it on a kite and off she went. Looked good and long...real long. All was well and the injoyment went on for quite some time. Then oh no it looks like it might rain...no it is raining. Quick pull down the kites and head for cover. Man that tubetail turned into a hassel . A hassel to get the air out . I tried to stuff it into the pouch of my sweatshirt as I ran for cover but it didn't want to go and I was draging it in the mud as I crossed the dirt road. I ended up with a bundle of tail and line and mud .....a mess to be sure. I realize the care of my kites is all part of the hobby and I am a laid back one line sort but that was a mess that well (There must be a better way)   I use some foodstore plastic bags to put the days tails in and then deal with rolling them up later at home but that tube tail doesn't want to go in a grosery bag . It's got a mind of it's own and the more you fight with it the more it fights back........Even when you cut the end off it still doesn't go home easily... Tom

TRY Mayfly
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:24 PM »

Don't know a much better way, both ends are open to let the air out? Wet ripstop doesn't let much air out though and twists seal the tubes so it won't pass through.

Only thing I can add is stuff it from the middle of the tail, don't start at one end, it's half the job that way. And secure the tow point to the bags handle to keep it from tying itself into knots in the bag.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27 PM »

Depending on the size of the tail, I think you might find two of Roger's (stringystuff) albums of interest:

These are WebShots albums, exercise caution.

Winding a really big tail

The tail winder returns

Nylon drawstring bags are good for storage.

If a weather front is of concern, get a oversized storage bag that allows for "commando packing" and sort out stuff at home.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:32 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:58 PM »

Start with the tail straight and free of twists. If it's windy I drag the tail so im stuffing from down wind (reverse of the way the tail landed) so the tail won't move around a lot. As long as there are no twists you can stuff the thing into a sack pretty quick.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:12 PM »

Start with the tail straight and free of twists. If it's windy I drag the tail so im stuffing from down wind (reverse of the way the tail landed) so the tail won't move around a lot. As long as there are no twists you can stuff the thing into a sack pretty quick.

What Allen said.  Only I fold mine in about 1 to 1.5 foot lengths.  Takes a while, but makes it easier to pack and carry three of the 100 foot tube tails along with a set of three transition tails 50 to 100 foot long in a backpack.

I use the 100' tube tails with my Griffin stack.  One thing I discovered flying on beaches is you need to be able to open the end of the tail and dump the sand from time to time.  I cut out the end and sewed in velcro.  That way the tail is closed when flying so it will inflate well, but it lets some air through to lower the resistance just a bit.  I bring it up here as it also helps to cut down on trapped air when folding it up.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21 PM »

Reading your post a second time it sounds like you may have one of the plastic tube tails? I have a couple of elegantly simple winders for tails that are not too wide or bulky. Of course these aren't for those times it's pouring down rain and the lightning is getting closer.

They are simply a large dowel about a foot long with a smaller dowel hooked down one side giving it a fork type arrangement. Again start in the middle placing the tail around the larger rod and under that smaller one, then roll it up with a spinning motion of the handle. You only need one because after it's rolled up you can slip it right out and use it on the next one, don't wind it real tight and it'll flatten out so you can secure it with a rubber band or velcro strap around the middle. Whatever you do it's twice the work to work from one end, I fold in half whatever method I use, flat or tube tails.

We have tails up to 640+ feet long  Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:46 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
try1897

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:39 AM »

Yes that was one of the plastic ones and it wiped off clean with just a damp cloth and was not a problem at home . I  have several large er Deltas as well as a Delta Conyne that use a colection of tubes and streamers and such. I just got my first sled  .It's a 8x5 G-Kites Super Sled of 40 sq.ft. and plan on some larger stuff as money permits.  This is all new to me so if you have any tips on flying  sleds  I am a bit nervous about it . All I've flown so far  are a couple of tiny parafoils  when it comes to that type of thing. I realize its a small sled to most of you guys but to me it's big. This is my first year as a kiter and I'm on a steep learning curve when it comes to kites that pull back.... Thanks again and all tips are welcome....Tom the new guy

TRY Mayfly
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document