GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *** NEW *** - Toxic by R-SKY  (Read 6938 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08 PM »

It's good to see they're catching up to Prism on Mylar usage.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 12:57 AM »

I, for one, always have a concern about the longevity of mylar panels.  The early Gems had a mylar panel and Tim moved away from using mylar other than for reinforcement because of reliability problems.  The mylar panel on my old Gem failed near the nose on both sides of the kite.

I know mylar sailcloth technology has moved on since, so the kite stuff may have also done so and this could be less of a concern now.

I shall await flight reports with interest, although I have to admit R-Sky have never quite hit the spot in terms of pricing vs. build quality for me. (Just my personal opinion)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41 AM »

I agree. I moved away from R-Sky. I was continually dissapointed in the build quality and equally dissapointed at the poor support and apparent lack of interest in after sales support by Roger from R-Sky to my local kite store (who to their credit took action themselves locally to assist me).

Their kites do fly and trick very well though..

steve
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:58 AM »

It's good to see they're catching up to Prism on Mylar usage.  Roll Eyes
So you've never seen a Mylar™ised Opium then ? I suspect R-Sky have tried it and moved on.

Always always ALWAYS interesting to hear about a new kite from a manufacturer who takes these sort of kites seriously. It might not translate into anything but anything to deliver us from another plague of price point mediocrities.

To my eye it looks like a Nirvana ~ Diablis mashup. I feel a morph coming on  Cheesy

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43 AM »

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have 12 R-Sky kites an none of them have any serious build quality issues. I have seen a few on some other peoples kites but nothing I would call a deal breaker.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 08:02 AM »

I have 12 R-Sky kites an none of them have any serious build quality issues. I have seen a few on some other peoples kites but nothing I would call a deal breaker.
My experience is broadly similar. My R-Sky kites have been fine tending to more than fine but I've heard reliable reports of a few rogue kites slipping through that would disappoint at any price but seriously annoy at the level R-Sky retail at. When that happens you want and expect it to be dealt with.

And the morph didn't quite pan out either Sad At no point does Diablis+Nirvana=Toxic.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 09:24 AM »

The Toxic is radically different from the Nirvana, just because it has identical frame dimensions and placement don't mean a thing. There are glaring differences .... really ....... like there's ..... ummm ...... equal length standoffs .......  yeah and ..... and ahhhh ....... a .. a .. reverse camber leading edge ... that's right ... radically different

Grin  Lips sealed  Undecided

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:39 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 03:14 PM »

Always always ALWAYS interesting to hear about a new kite from a manufacturer who takes these sort of kites seriously. It might not translate into anything but anything to deliver us from another plague of price point mediocrities.
+1

Posted by Roger on Facebook:

Size 230x90cm
Precision 40% - Tricks 60%
We are going to do a video and you'll can see his capacities.
The sail is more flat, we work on gravity center and trailing edge tension.
I like the design, it will be available in Cobalt (as pics) Coffee, Indian and maybe Spirit if we get a new colors from Icarex.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 12:39 PM »

I'm looking forward to RandyG's review! (Hopefully he's on their list...)

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 04:20 PM »

What exactly is R-Sky to do?

They have maybe the most successful design, in terms of meeting its design goals, ever in the Nirvana.

They tweaked it for the NSE making it even easier to trick.

Should they now go off in an entirely different direction?

I don't think so.

Looking forward to flying this kite.
fworley
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 07:09 PM »

Should they now go off in an entirely different direction?

Like making cute inflatables or something off the wall like that you mean ?

Hmm ... let see Debray comete those !

-Frazer
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 07:17 PM »

erm.. okay, they have to make some money.. I meant in regards to the dualies of course.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 07:08 AM »

Most modern kites fall within a few inches of that formula except for a few notable exceptions. What I posted is just a profile and doesn't reflect standoff lengths, bridling etc. The differences I did point out would radically change the kites characteristics and are real observations, just in jest of the hype that get's started. Refining a proven design is good business and it is R-Sky's design. Copying someone elses design is another thing, I see a kite on the way that looks to be almost a 100% copy of a US 'boutique makers' design, so much so that when Rhonda saw the picture she asked if it was a new **** with different graphics. That's not good business, have to see the final product though to truly compare.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:36 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34 PM »

I'd be interested in flying the new Toxic. I enjoy tricking R-Sky kites.

Prism kites not so much. Mark may be successful but he doesn't design kites I'm interested in. Well except maybe one of his more original designs:

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 01:49 PM »

Ah, just like the good old days ... count down to thread locking has begun.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change