GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trezocks cody kite-who's done one?  (Read 4745 times)
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 06, 2010, 10:08 PM »

Hey folks I see this kite every so often and just fall in love with this kite that I, even "I" could possibly make one.
I just found SF codys war kites- a e book on plans for a cody. Is this worth buyin?
Anyways a mini cody would be cool to try since i'm not the best at sewing on a machine.
One last Q how does one load/pack away a cody? Undecided
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:43 PM »

Don't know the ebook you refer, got a link to it.

There are many Cody plans on Kite Plan Base for free. I don't see one listed as a Trezock's but it's just an extended wing Cody with a top sail. There are also plans for a single skin Cody which is far simpler, it can even be done as a paper fold kite. A Cody is a pretty big project, not an impossible project, Check threads on Kitebuilders.com for help if needed.

Cody's pack up sweet, there are the cross spreader's front and rear to remove, just loops or pigtails in nocks on smaller kites, larger ones will have some tension adjustment but still just a knock to pull a string out of. Large ones have angle adjustment for the front wings but nothing to unhook. Once the crosses are out all the other spars are parallel so you just roll it up. I think you can even leave the upper sail attached when you roll it, it is just suspended on lines with no cross spars.

Go for it  Smiley

Take a peak here if you need a little push.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:48 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Fore Check

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:18 AM »

FYI:  The Treczocks cody workshop plan on KPB is here (it's in German, so I've posted a translated page:)

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kiteplans.org%2Fplanos%2Fcodywork%2Fcodywork.html&sl=de&tl=en

A couple of things:

When you build a kite, attention to detail and precision is everything.  I don't care if you're building something simple like a sled or something as complicated as a 3-deck extended wing Cody.   Now, some designs are more forgiving than others, but that attention to detail and precision is what separates a "so-so" kite from a good one.

That said:  Building a Cody will be only moderately more difficult (if at all) than any other kite in terms of the skills involved.  They difference is that a Treczoks Cody will take exponentially more work to complete than something simple.  Edge binding tight curves can be a real PITA, but if you use narrow bias binding tape (from your fabric store) you'll be fine (Peter "Popeye" Ross, AKA Director At Large, and 2010 Kitemakers Rules Committee Chairman uses this technique all the time and his kites are magnificent.)

Anyways - again, the tough part about building a Cody is muddling through all of the details and maintaining that focus on precision throughout.  Many (think 50+ for an experienced builder) hours of work involved to make a large(ish) one, but I firmly believe anyone can do it.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:04 AM »

Not a Trezocks, but Gary Engvall's Cody is pretty nice:

Not sure it was plan based, so much as TLAR-based.

ATB,
Sam
Fore Check

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:11 PM »

Not a "Treczocks" Cody per se, but a fun and challenging build none-the-less.  This one is based on the forward-swept "DP51" plan on KPB:  http://www.kiteplans.org/pln_34/

That "plan" was patterned after this photo on page 51 of Pelham's Penguin Book of Kites:

Anyways, I tweaked the geometry a little to suit my tastes and developed the details to suit my building style.  0.75 oz Ripstop Nylon sail, 1.5 oz ripstop nylon tunnels and tension strips, 3.9 oz dacron reinforcement, "fabric store" bias edge edge binding, carbon frame.  Finished it up yesterday.

Not terribly difficult, but as stated above:  Patience, Planning, Persistence, and Precision (or at least your best shot at it) are required.  Having some experience helped, that's for sure.  Took a lot of hours to build, scattered over several months.

Good times....   Cool
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:50 AM »

Wow!

Nice looking...... dp51 cody
ainokea

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:09 AM »

Good job, and looks great.

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
kitecowboy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 06:18 PM »

fore check that is an absolutly awesome Cody.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:38 PM »

Dang. That's a biggun
Fore Check

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:26 PM »

Thanks!  It flew great on it's maiden voyage at the Cleveland Kite Festival a couple of weeks ago (9.11.2010)

Here's a couple of pics.   Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change