GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 01:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TEFLON spray for lines  (Read 7185 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 12:52 PM »

Pam (the cooking spray, not Anderson) is silicon dioxide.
Pam is canola oil & water not silicon dioxide.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47 PM »

Bow string wax?  If I remember correctly, isn't that bee's wax? Embarrassed
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 09:14 AM »

I use silicon oil 350cp grade... cheap and thick... so will not make it so messy...

i apply it while winding the line...

first put abit at some used cloth and rub it...

result = very slick line... Smiley
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 02:21 AM »

Hello all, i read this topic and was considering silicone spray to protect my lines and make them more slippery. i found this on the market here and would like to know your thoughts on it.

http://www.orapi-maintenance.com/en/fichestechniques/812-SILAL-GB.pdf

Thanks for any help.

Bryan

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
madhabitz

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40 PM »

Sorry to dredge this thread back to the top, but I've been wondering if any of you have ever tried AmorAll (for car care)? I use it as a mold release for the polymer clay stuff I do and it's slick as all get-out. Plus it's got the added UV protection and it cleans
whatever you rub it on. I've got a can of the same silicone Steve mentioned, but it feels like this stuff might work better.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 04:34 AM »

Sort of; similar to ArmorAll but a different brand aerosol silicon spray. I find the solvent in an aerosol helps it disperse on the lines without leaving a too thick coating.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35 AM »

I would test ArmourAll on a piece of old completely trashed line first. It can damage even the plastics it's made to protect. I had heard the rumors before but I went ahead and put it onto an old sun damaged Naugahyde spare tire cover on a motor home once, it took it from pliable and still usable to the point that it shattered when bent in an hour. Fine for protecting new plastics, but test it first before putting it on old stuff that hasn't been treated before. I would be wary of what it might do to Spectra/Dyneema.

I washed and silicon treated an old set of Shanti lines once, I wasn't convinced the results were worth the effort and cost, they were whiter but I don't usually get more then 5-7 wraps and couldn't really tell a difference otherwise. I will add that those lines suffered from quite a bit of fuzzing from flying on fine sand while damp, lines without that type of damage may respond better.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 08:06 AM »

ISTR the issue with ArmorAll sending rubber and plastics brittle is due to it dissolving oils and removing them from the material. There used to be lots of stories about the vinyl on car dashboards splitting and cracking.

Spectra is pretty inert and not oily, I've read stories of people soaking spectra in all sorts of chemicals like Deet etc. to see if they'd degrade. I'd guess the chances are it should be ok and if this is to refresh a set of tired lines its not as if there's a lot at stake.

All that said though, a set of new lines is better always Tongue

madhabitz

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 05:32 PM »

Thanks Mike and Ian. If I ever get to the point of actually *needing* something for my lines, I'll go with the silicone.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 06:31 PM »

NO armor all it is crap i live in a saltwater,sunny environment and use ONLY 303 Aerospace Protectant it is worth every penny buuuuut back to reconditioning lines ... use silicone spray as stated above

have fun kurt
madhabitz

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 06:40 PM »

NO armor all it is crap

lol.... yessir! ;-)

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 07:24 AM »

NO armor all it is crap i live in a saltwater,sunny environment and use ONLY 303 Aerospace Protectant it is worth every penny buuuuut back to reconditioning lines ... use silicone spray as stated above

Yep, I can never remember the name of the 303 I always have to go find my bottle, it's all I use anymore also. Never tried it on lines but I don't think it would be better then silicon for adding back slipperiness. For plastics though it's not as sickenly greasy looking, has a great UV block and hasn't damaged anything I've used it on. I originally tried it because of a thread on adding back body, color and protection to worn kite fabrics over on Kitebuilder. I'm not convinced it really helped there but I loved it on my auto's and pool liner. Kent at Wind of Change posted another treatment for kite fabrics used by the Power Kiters on thier foils that sounded more promising for kite use, I forgot that name too though.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 12:24 PM »

As "Line Maintenance" like you've pointed out the process is probably worthwhile, not so much in repairing my damaged the lines. Flying at the beach especially near the water on the wet sand gets your lines very sticky, and WSIKF sand is fine enough to work itself between fibers. I've noticed when flying near the water at Long Beach that the lines quickly get to the point that you feel the added drag with just a few wraps. I'm sure that along with neglect contributed to the fuzzy damage I experienced. Silicone would add some repellency from future moisture and dirt too if you frequently fly in those conditions.

I need to get a little more pro-active about that maintenance thing ... which reminds me ... which line set did I use at WSIKF two weeks ago?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:34 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document