GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free / Cheap Photoimaging Software  (Read 1931 times)
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 04, 2010, 11:41 PM »

Took a whole load of photos of my new DS UL at the weekend only to find that there must have been a couple of dirty marks on the lens resulting in a couple of dirty splodges in the resultant images.

I normally use Picasa for minor tweaking off my photos, but it's retouching tool isn't that great and while it makes things look better, the retouched area doesn't match the rest of the background, so it is quite evident that the photo has been retouched.

Does anybody know of any imaging software that will do a decent job of retouching background areas without having to fork out for something like Photoshop Elements?
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:44 PM »

www.getpaint.net

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:42 AM »

Take a look a GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program).  Over the years, it has matured quite nicely, but still manages to float below the radar a lot.   Huh

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:22 PM »

I've had getpaint bookmarked, haven't tried it yet. I have quickly checked out GIMP and on recommendations it is definitely worth a look, you can even get a plug-in to make it very much like Adobe Photoshop.

Myself, I have used Paint Shop Pro for 18 years, 1/10th the price of Adobe Photoshop but so close it can use Adobe Photoshop plug-in's and filters. Always a 30 day free trial download available. Buy it any day for $60 but I honestly haven't used the newer versions since Jasc was bought out by Corel except for shortly when KiteKing posted a link for PSP Photo X (10) as a free version that ended up being nagware to buy the upgrade to XI (11). I still use Jasc PSP Version 7.04 and it continues to serve my needs 99% of the time even though I've had Adobe Photoshop all along. But since 7 won't run under Win7 I guess I'll be upgrading soon or downgrading my new "Mini" with the unopened XP Pro I've been sitting on for 3-4 years  Wink

They also now have great online tutorials and user groups that will answer any question you have. It's simple to use & understand but with 90% of the power of Adobe Photoshop if you should advance that far and it will work with ANY file type. That was the original attraction for me and after that first 30 day trial I was hooked and being unable to hack it I ended up buying it and every upgrade from 2 through 7 when it bloated & my older computer couldn't run it easily & since I like to do it myself I didn't need those "One click fixes" they added.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:51 PM »

Adobe Elements is 95% of Photoshop for well under $100.

You can get previous versions for under $30 on the internet.

I use it. My old, old Photoshop wouldn't work when I upgraded my OS and it was cheaper to buy the current version of Elements than pay the upgrade price for Photoshop.

I don't know how it compares to the other programs people have listed, but I do know everyone always compares their programs to Adobe Photoshop or Elements.

JMHO  Smiley

Before and After Adobe Elements with Nikon D5000:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:53 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jaydub

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20 PM »

Thanks for your recommendations, guys.

I downloaded getpaint and GIMP and of the two getpaint's clone stamp is doing the job for me on most of the pics (after a bit of practice).

No idea how it compare with Photoshop Elements, but it's the best part of 60 cheaper. Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 06:12 AM »

http://lifehacker.com/5467593/pinta-brings-paintnets-just+enough-image-editing-to-every-computer
paint.net is now for any OS....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 03:33 PM »

I just saw that Power Of Software has made their Photo Pro software available free also, I have not tried it but it appears to be a full featured editor, even supporting layers & masks. They have a bunch of other free stuff too, lite versions of Pro, stand alone red eye removal, text effects, and a panorama stitching program.

Good reviews - might be worth a look

http://www.image-editor.net/Photo-Pos-Pro-Image-Editor.asp

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39 PM »

downloaded the paint pinta whatever i could not figure out how to get to any editing stuff way beyond my dinosaur type knowledge but thanx anyway

have fun kurt
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13 PM »

+1 for GIMP

I run that on my netbook, doesn't handle RAW files but if you're shooting JPEG's then all should be well.

BTW, chances are that the 'sploges' are on the sensor, could be worth getting it cleaned professionally if they are causing you frustration. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself without some good knowledge and also some reasonable sized cahoonas  Wink

WD

WinterDaze AoF
rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:18 PM »

Gizmo's freeware,just google it, you can find all kinds of software there, including digital image software and they give a little rundown of the software
to boot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document