GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 03:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spinrite software, why bother?  (Read 2319 times)
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 07, 2010, 05:30 PM »

I can see the sales pitch, thats great, but do i need that soft?
So many reviews on HD's that dont last 6months
It' would be cool to see your drive indicating
"dude i'm aboot to take a crap on you Angry and ur data too"
 :'(

http://www.grc.com/sr/themovie.htm
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:01 AM »

Compare the price of Spinrite ($89) to the price of a new external hard drive (as low a $60 depending on capacity).  I think you'd be a lot better off setting up an automated back-up protocol to the external drive.  In the event that you have a hard drive failure and if you use Spinrite (which may or may not recover everything on the drive) would you then trust that drive?  No, you'd replace it and would then want a complete back-up to restore to your new drive.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:34 AM »

Supposedly handled by "SMART" (Self Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) which currently exists on most if not all (IDE and Ultra ATA drives).  5 or 10 years later, support still SUCKs (black hole level), especially under RAID configurations.

98% of the time the pain you experience will be exerted by files that haven't been picked up in a backup window.  If you can spring for it, there's a lot to be said for RAID and "shadowing" (particularly of data files).

ATB,
Sam
Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42 AM »

I've got Spinrite, and I think it's great. It has restored 2 hard drives for me that had problems.

It is NOT a replacement for backing up, though. I still back up anything that I wouldn't want to lose. But Spinrite can very often repair damaged data and allow you to fix the drive without having to go to further trouble.

If you have a hardware failure, it won't help you, but data can get corrupted and make you think you've got a failed drive. It's a worthwhile first pass, IMO.

and
browndude3649

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39 PM »

Appreciate the replies. I 'm not in a hurry to pay 90$ for soft but if it'll give you fair warning ur drive is going byebye....
I will be looking into RAID mirroring from now on.
rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08 PM »

Doesn't backing up the data you don't want to lose make the most sense.
What good is it say later Gee, I wish I would have backed up my data
because spinrite didn't restore my drive.
Just my 2 cents.

normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:16 AM »

I backup pretty regularly to an external HDD, and I also sprang for SpinRite a while ago. I'm a big fan of Steve Gibson's online info and free utilities, etc., but SpinRite did 0 for me and my drives, unlike Jeff's experience. I tried it on a couple of drives, at least one of which had problems. It spent maybe days of time grinding away, and ended up doing nothing useful, alas.

There are several free programs out there that can display SMART info, or even "alarm" when the numbers change. And each HDD costs so much less and holds so much more. . .

Norm in Toronto
browndude3649

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:01 AM »

Well i didnt think this would get so many replies Wink, but cool anyways. So we could classify this as a geek tool?  ???Not a lifesaving piece of soft? We know that HD recovery is costly, but a tool that could maybe save u the trip to geeksquad (theyd send it out anyways right?) for recovery of business data.
Being a DOS based itnerface i prob couldnt use it. I'm xp forward. But it would seem of the few tools a regular guy could use to recover HD's?

Just bought a Seagate TB portable. Funny thing a carbonite advertisement pops up!
5yr warr. 170$ costco
dagnabbit
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:27 AM »

I absolutely stand by Spinrite, been using it for many years.  Lots of respect for its author (Steven Gibson).  SMART is supposed to catch these things, and you need to do regular backups- but often enough my users don't or won't do regular backups.  And SMART will not catch stupid human tricks (I dropped my laptop!).  Proven to be a great tool by my network operations team.

The two things that really bug me are unfinished lists....
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:59 PM »

Browndude, IIRC it's pretty straightforward to use. I think it starts with a simple menu, where you choose the "depth" of the scan. XP, Dos, Linux, whatever, you won't have trouble starting it.

I also have lots of respect for its author (Steven Gibson), and I'd be glad to report that SR saved my bacon once or twice. But no. I think I tried it twice, and it went very slowly and ended up not fixing what I'd hoped it would. I remember very few other details now, several years later.

OTOH, it's saved other people's bacon, including a couple right here!

Norm in Toronto
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09 AM »

I endorse Spinrite fully - it has restored two of my drives which died. Both of which I was quoted big dollars to get the data extracted from.
It cheaply saved my family photos before I had a backup strategy in place.

It actually works below the file level of the hard drive (one of the few peices of software that does) so will actually repair the drive well enough to suck off the contents before it physically dies.

SMART does next to nothing as an indicator of failure. Spinrite not only does repairs of near dead drives, but running it regularly stops drive failure in many cases (or at least accuratley provides a measure for how badly it is performing).

Still need a backup strategy though. A mixture of offsite and on site backups, clones of drives and incremental backups is the best approach.

cheers

steve

stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 03:58 AM »

In the early days supporting PCs on campus, Spinrite was an important tool combined with norton utils, partition magic, ghost, mcafee, etc

These days it seems a good backup strategy is key and have not run Spinrite for years. I've wondered whether it still works with the newer drives and controllers. 

Look like it still has a place in the utility collection...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document