GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line for a Premier 81  (Read 1311 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: March 08, 2010, 09:41 PM »

I'm thinking that buying about 200' of 750# line should be good for my 1st big sled.
What'ya think? Enough strength and length for flying this guy?

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11 PM »

It was confusing when we bought ours, the standard Premier 81's have a 500 lb recommended line strength, the customs like our Barb Meyers say 1000 lb, Gomberg recommends 500 lb too on his largest ones which are nearly as big as the Premier. So 750 sounds like a good compromise under sane conditions for flying the beast. But I will state that the extra thickness of the 950 lb we got is welcome when grabbing that line by hand and it doesn't hinder the kites performance. Never had ours much above 200 feet if ever.

I think we got 1000' for under $30.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49 AM »

I've flown mine on 500 to 1000 depending on wind speed and gusts - 750 is a good average. Like Mike, I've probably never flown mine out more than 200' either.

Two other indispensable items... Leather gloves and a good anchor!

Bob
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:23 AM »

I fly my Barb Meyers 81 on 500# line because that is what Barb told me to use.  Haven't had any problems with it, but have never maxed it out on the high side of the wind envelope either.  I got a 300' reel of 500# line from DG - very nice line.

Hal
Helena, MT
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:50 AM »

Well, still no line yet, but i'm heading to the cow pasture to meet JJ.
He's going to help me setup and make its maiden flight today.  Smiley

I hope he doesn't yell at me.  Cheesy Cheesy
streamhawk
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:49 AM »

I have 1000# Shanti line for my Meyers sled, I tend to go with what Premier recommends. It's pretty thick, maybe around a quarter inch, but doesn't seem to hinder the kite. I have some Gomberg 750# on order, should be in today in fact, with alot of laundry on the kite, I will fly close to max recommended wind speed for lifting everything, but if things get too much, I'll drop down to the 36 sled, or even a 24. I tend to fly line with a bit of overkill, I fly 500# line on the 36, haven't really noticed much negative about that. I do have some 320# for lighter winds however for the 36.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change