GWTW Forum
October 19, 2014, 09:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great all around kites  (Read 4267 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 10, 2010, 04:52 AM »

I flew with JimB yesterday at LSP and I got to thinking about the best all around kites for common folk, like me. Watching Jim fly and constantly hit tricks regardless of the kite made me think that I'm much more kite dependent because my abilities pale in comparison to his. Some kites require the flyer to have the right inputs or it won't do what you want it to do. Others will do the tricks even if the inputs aren't quite right.

Jim is pulling off 540s and Jacobs Ladders time after time after time and I get too much slack in my JLs and I can't get the nose to come up with my 540s when I fly my xt.r and NFX Sport. I had better luck with my Exile but my tricks are still not all that clean. (I know, "time and practice.")

The Exile is a great all around kite because it will pause and wait for your next input. I feel the same way about my Fearless and Widow Maker. Even though my inputs aren't the best and I'm still learning (need to move more and use more body english apparently), some kites will still do the trick - even if it looks sloppy.

I like the R-Sky's but they seem like that the people who can get the most out of them have already honed their abilities to the point where they aren't kite dependent (like me.) I'm keeping them because one day I WILL be able to fly them.

Meanwhile, today's sunny and in the 50s. I'm taking 40 minutes or so at lunch to go to my nearby soccer field with my Exile.

Bob D.
KeithG

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08 AM »

Once you find a kite that you really like and that "fits" you then time and practice really are the key. There will come a point that you will be able to take what you can do on the one kite and do it on others.

You are correct about different kites needing different inputs but I have found that its not as big a difference as you may first think. In time you will find that you can make little changes to the way you fly different kites to get what you want out of them not big changes, unless you're flying something like an SL7. You will find "your style" of flying and be able to adjust for what ever kite you want to fly. How much time and practice? depends on things like your natural ability and how much you are willing to get out a work on the things you like to do. I've been flying about 12 years, I would say around the 2 year mark I was able to switch between kites and just make little adjustments to get the things I wanted out of them. Some people can do it much faster than I did, again it depends partly on you motivation factor.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:16 AM by KeithG » Logged

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:50 AM »

Once you get in tune with whatever kite you're flying, everything seems to slow down and wait for the next input.  Seriously.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:02 AM »

Even after 12 years, I'm still generally uncomfortable with a new kite. I hesitate to fly OPKs, especially on a crowded field. I need more time on some kites than others. There are kites that are easier to fly. I'd say the Exile is certainly an easy kite. I have an Exile UL on loan from a friend and enjoyed every minute of my first flight with it. Other kites sometimes need an hour or two before the big grins happen. Often, it's those kites that I like more in the long run though. Sometimes just for the challenge, but more often because they do certain things really well or differently compared to a kite that does everything OK.

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:51 AM »

Bob,

Next time we'll work on getting your sequences and muscle memory in order.

I wont even take a kite out. That way I wont be tempted to wander off flying.  Cheesy

it's important to be very clear on what you are practicing. Just going for a trick in a hit or miss style can lead to improper reflexes and muscle memories.

You don't want to ingrain the bad stuff. You want to ingrain the good stuff, especially as you are progressing very nicely as a flier.

It's getting time to clean up that technique, if you want to make the jump to the next level.

Flying a lot of different kites at this stage is counterproductive.

Now is the time to settle down, pick one kite, and refine your flying skills.

If you want to fly Nirvanas there is no time like the present. Just learn them inside out.

You know I love the Transfer, but let's face it; it's a brute of a kite in any flavor.

I think you would find the Nirvana a little easier to pick up.

The Exile is a great kite for learning stuff on. It's not quite as much of a production to throw around as some of the French stuff.

You also have the Deep Space which is very flicky requiring a lot less movement to throw around, great for lazy guys like me.  Roll Eyes

But, if you want to fly Nivs then start now. By the end of the Summer they will have become second nature.

Just give me a heads up. We can set up a regular time to meet somehow.

I'm no RonG, but I am in the neighborhood and willing to work with you if you'd like.

Good to fly with you as always.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:15 PM »

Hmm ... seems 'somebody' gave me that same advice years ago.  It made a HUGE difference.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:15 PM »

I don't think it takes 10,000 hours to learn to fly a sport kite reasonably well, but this is an interesting article.

Malcolm Gladwell says that if you want to shine, put in 10,000 hours
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article4969415.ece

6 kite tom
Bob D

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25 PM »

Great article! It DOES take a lot of time to get really good at something. In season, I'm probably only getting out to LSP twice a month - not a lot - because it's an hour and 40 minutes to home. But I'd be crazy not take Jim up on his offer! We'll definitely have to work something out!

I've been watching RandyG's videos and trying the hit or miss technique and I try to figure out what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. (Good example is the wind breaks on the stand offs and not the lower spreader. Did I "assume" incorrectly with the lower spreader?)

It's all fun.

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09 PM »

No Bob, you did not get the wind brakes wrong.

It is just that the alternative set up I showed you has less impact on a kites pitch capabilities and as you were working on tricks with pitch components..

Nothing wrong with hit or miss if you just want to fool around, but if you want to get better it is hugely important to back up a bit, clarify the goal, and be disciplined and systematic in your approach to learning what you need to learn.

Cold.

If you learn it cold wrong it leads to all sorts of problems that take a long time to fix down the road.

Now is the time to go over the fundamentals and make sure your technique is solid so you have a good base to progress from.

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 05:16 PM »

Hmm ... seems 'somebody' gave me that same advice years ago.  It made a HUGE difference.

Hmmh.........same here...............just haven't found the right kite Wink.....RIGHT!! Undecided

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Bob D

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:01 AM »

For years I flew by myself not knowing there were any other kite flyers. I had Flight School IV but I had trouble discovering what exactly "slack line" meant and pressure on the sail.

Then the internet came around and I discovered GWTW and learned all about stunt kites. I then found out that I missed out on the crew that flew at LSP by a few years. So I still flew by myself and fooled around trying to decipher what worked, what didn't work and maybe the reason why.

Okay, I'm ready for the next step. If I can fly a Nirvana, I could probably fly anything. And THEN the easy to fly kites (Exile, WM, and Fearless) will be even more fun!

Now we have to work out when to meet. (Around work, family, etc.)

Bob D.
DaveH
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:37 AM »

Good choice with the Nirvana Wink
A completely honest kite.  I like working on new things with kites like the N. Its high level of consistency eliminates variables.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57 AM »

Hey BobD...
I used to think the Exile was the kite that gave away the tricks, especially compared to the QPros that I had. Then I flew the Sea Devil, and that has been one of my goto kites for a couple years. It still is, but I'm moving over to the Fearless line, now. Another kite that is worth noting is the Four Winds Designs Nebula. It really gives up the tricks, and is very tollerent of sloppy inputs.
If I ever get over to LSP to fly with you guys, you are welcome to try these out.
By the way, I still fly my Exile UL on a regular basis. There's something to it that I haven't seen in any other kites, yet.
~Rob.

DaveH
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49 PM »

ummmm,
dumb question,  Whats LSP?
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:08 PM »

Liberty State Park.

Right behind the Statue of Liberty in Jersey City, NJ.

Great place to fly a kite.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change