GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless LIGHT vs. Fearless STD  (Read 9164 times)
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 04:10 PM »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 04:15 PM »

+1  Cheesy
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 04:16 PM »

Awesome!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40 PM »

I was going to buy a Fearless in either the Light or Standard. I had tried them both and had pretty much decided on the standard. I liked both but for me the light wasn't as much fun when the winds hit 10+ mph. I know people fly the light in much higher but I could really tell it had less mass tricking when the wind picked up. The kite was fine just not my taste in more wind. In lower wind they seemed similar.

I ended up buying the Vented Light even though I hadn't tried it. I liked what Lam & others had to say about how and what tricks the Vented Light did compared to the standard & light. Kind of crazy but after a brief try I am happy so far  Grin

When I originally decided to buy a Fearless, I did so because I liked the way they tricked and looked when they did those tricks. This is the key issue.  I thought this kite would be a good fit for me and how I would trick it. Not because it's cool to have a Fearless, it's magical properties or whatever else. Another reason is my other kites from Lam have been a good experience for me. He loves kites and flying kites. Talk to him, he has passion for his kites and it shows in the product. Whether you like his kites or not that is a fact. I feel good helping support his kite business too even if it's just a little.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 05:45 PM »

Wow, I have a couple of SDs, and they're some of my favorite kites. I have a FL SUL as well, and is my easiest to trick light wind kite. Still learning to fly it, I only have a few hours on it, but I am about to order the vented light FL. What are you flying now that is better than the SDs ? Just curious...

~Rob.

fworley
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19 PM »

Wow, I have a couple of SDs, and they're some of my favorite kites. I have a FL SUL as well, and is my easiest to trick light wind kite. Still learning to fly it, I only have a few hours on it, but I am about to order the vented light FL. What are you flying now that is better than the SDs ? Just curious...

Vendettas and Cosmics are *much* better comp. type kites.

Deep Space and Talon are *much* better freestyle kites.

-Frazer
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 06:49 PM »

A totally subjective answer.........and an opinion you're entitled to............

Didn't your time out help?

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
xuzme720

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 07:53 PM »

+2

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
bigwheels

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 08:33 PM »

I've had a Deep Space & flew it extensively. I have a Talon Std & the Fearless Std vented & I've flown them each five or six times the same day, first one then the other. The Talon does only one thing equal to or better than the Fearless. It rolls up quicker. The Deep Space is even less forgiving than the Talon. Both of the UK kites are what I call the "keep it moving" type. They want you to link tricks & parts of tricks in a continuous motion. It's fun to do that but I also like  to do hesitation steps. On it's back, wait, tension a line for a half lazy, roll over about 90 gently, give a little more tension to come to a fade, roll out & ease it into a turtle again. The Fearless Light is fine in 20mph with 5pt ls, 3pt frame. The Fearless Std vented ,SUL & S handle all my needs from 1 to 25mph. No need for the Light or Std.
fworley
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38 PM »

I've had a Deep Space & flew it extensively. I have a Talon Std & the Fearless Std vented & I've flown them each five or six times the same day, first one then the other. The Talon does only one thing equal to or better than the Fearless. It rolls up quicker. The Deep Space is even less forgiving than the Talon. Both of the UK kites are what I call the "keep it moving" type. They want you to link tricks & parts of tricks in a continuous motion. It's fun to do that but I also like  to do hesitation steps. On it's back, wait, tension a line for a half lazy, roll over about 90 gently, give a little more tension to come to a fade, roll out & ease it into a turtle again. The Fearless Light is fine in 20mph with 5pt ls, 3pt frame. The Fearless Std vented ,SUL & S handle all my needs from 1 to 25mph. No need for the Light or Std.

This is interesting ... but my comparison was with Sea Devils.

I've not flown a Fearless.

-Frazer
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01 PM »

This is interesting ... but my comparison was with Sea Devils.

I've not flown a Fearless.

-Frazer

Fearless LIGHT vs. Fearless STD

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
freecheese

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06 PM »

To be fair, that exchange went as follows:

Must86: What are you flying now that is better than the SDs ? Just curious...

fworley: Vendettas and Cosmics are *much* better comp. type kites. Deep Space and Talon are *much* better freestyle kites.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 11:31 PM »

Six posts removed, two from Kantaxel and four from fworley.

Take one, pass the bottle to the left. I've got better things to do than delete posts and I know of an easy way to make sure I don't have to, m'kay ? Now touch gloves and return to your corners.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35 PM »

Again,,,,,,,,,,,my apologies Sad

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 01:14 AM »

A few years ago, you were caught up in Sea Devil euphoria, your avatar was even a picture of one.  From your own experience, you know that Lam kites have a wide wind range. With all the flying you have done, trick parties and camps you have attended. You never experienced the Sea Devil Light flying easily in winds, while people were working hard with their standards or grabbing their vents?

There is more to a Fearless, then its wind range. What got you so excited about Sea Devils, is what people appreciate about the Fearless.

Jay

I still think the SD is a GREAT kite.  I have just moved on from it.  But I had a light (as well as a UL, mid vent nylon, full vent icky, standard nylon, and an SUL at one point).  Best SD I had was the light for sure.  It was great because of it's LOW END, not because it out performed standards in heavy winds.  It flew nearly as low as the SUL, but could handle standard winds as well.  It was best in 2-10mph, which is also quite frankly the IDEAL ZEN TRICK KITE WIND RANGE IMHO.  Below 2, and you're working.  Above 10mph and you're working.  I sold my SUL and UL because of the light (and the Ghost).  I kept the stuff above it until the very end.  I held on to them a long time even after I stopped flying them because Lam makes amazing kites.  On this there is no debate.

Sorry, but absolutely not:  I never encountered conditions where the SD light didn't top out before the standards around me, or the standards in my own kite bag.  And I am certain I never even set up that kite in winds above 15mph.  That's why we are debating this.  IMHO, 20mph would have been silly with the SD light I owned.  (Mine was 3PT LE, and 5PT spreaders). 

In 20mph, you need to run or walk damn fast to get a JL on an SD light.  You need to nearly sprint to pull off a backspin cascade.  The claims made by the Fearless light owners sound as though they were lazily doing endless ladders and lewis cascades in 20mph wind while the rest of the fliers in the field were struggling to land their kites, clean up the broken spreaders, and change to their vents.  (Which could in theory be factual, of course.)   

obi   

(Just to chip in with the 'Sea Devil...what now?' portion:  I am now almost exclusively on the XTs given the appropriate wind.  In addition, I love my Cosmic and Ghost, my Essence set is wonderful, and my Diablis is awesome when the wind gets above 12mph.  If nothing else flies, the Sissy does.  The Sea Devils just weren't coming out of the bag anymore, and it was not an easy decision.)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change