GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 06:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who uses a Canon G-11 digital camera??  (Read 1762 times)
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 11, 2010, 05:31 PM »

My Nikon 4300 finally crapped out for my kite photography and i;m looking for something else.I needed to upgrade that camera anyway.I was looking at the Canon Powershot G-11.I know most of you are going Johns a Nikon guy but all Nikons point and shoot stuff doesnt have very good reviews.I was looking at the Nikon L-110 and the P-100.Its been a while for Canon but their image quality seems to be a ton better than the Nikons i have been looking at.What do you guys think.Wife has a Nikon L-12 that i got for her a while back and she likes it but i;m thinking i want to switch to Canon for this time around.Still have my Nikon d-100 and D-300s but i;m not draging those to the kite field.Kite festival yes but not for everyday kiteflying.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:00 AM by johnguz76 » Logged

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25 PM »

Don't have that model but after looking over the specs & features it's moved to the top of my list if I was in the market for a smaller model then my Canon SX10. I've been very happy with the SX10 so I will definately be looking at Canon's when I am in the market again.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03 PM »

If I was considering higher end point and shoot like the G11 now I would include micro four thirds in the mix.
The Olympus E-PL1 will kick ass on any PS image quality. There are other models and most manufactures are racing to get large sensor micro interchangeable cameras out but this model would be the best PS feature match now with SLR image quality, small size, built in flash & hi def video etc.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:55 PM »

If I was considering higher end point and shoot like the G11 now I would include micro four thirds in the mix.
The Olympus E-PL1 ...

The lack of an optical viewfinder is ALWAYS a deal killer for me, you can not hold a camera steady at arms length and you can not frame a shot properly in a washed out review screen when the sun is over your shoulder and panning is a PITA in a review screen. I'll stick with what I was taught, camera to your eye, arms against your body, breathe, exhale, squeeze the shutter. I shot with 300 mm lenses while panning for motor-sports photography long before stabilization with no problems, IMO that is still the proper way to shoot photo's.

Sadly it's almost impossible to find a consumer grade camera with a viewfinder anymore.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10 PM »

The Olympus E-PL1 ...

The lack of an optical viewfinder is ALWAYS a deal killer for me, you can not hold a camera steady at arms length and you can not frame a shot properly in a washed out review screen when the sun is over your shoulder and panning is a PITA in a review screen. I'll stick with what I was taught, camera to your eye, arms against your body, breathe, exhale, squeeze the shutter. I shot with 300 mm lenses while panning for motor-sports photography long before stabilization with no problems, IMO that is still the proper way to shoot photo's.

Sadly it's almost impossible to find a consumer grade camera with a viewfinder anymore.

I use IS lenses but I still do the same routine as I did before Stabilization. It just helps some when you're in those lower light situations...(I can't afford the really big glass!)

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
randyg

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:26 PM »

Read here and here for two good reviews.

Virtually every single kite shot I've taken were with Canon's. I've bought 6 digital cameras in 7 years and all were Canon's. All with viewfinders I might add.  Wink

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:30 PM »

An interesting thing about image stabilization is that when you're using a tripod you need to turn it off because it introduces blur. It always reduces sharpness a bit, but it has allowed handheld shots with lens lengths you couldn't have hand held before, my SX10 at full digital zoom is over 2200 mm equivalent and I can hand hold it and get an acceptable although reduced quality shot, optical zoom is 560 mm eq. and that length would be challenging without it

That big sensor on that Olympus is nice, I didn't read the reviews but theoretically it should produce a big improvement in quality and low light capabilities. Why scrimp on a viewfinder on such a feature rich camera?

xuzme720

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:30 PM »

+1 for Viewfinders! Grin

Asfink tersez wot....

xuzme720

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 07:33 PM »

An interesting thing about image stabilization is that when you're using a tripod you need to turn it off because it introduces blur.
Right! Of course the tripod negates the need for the IS to begin with...so... Wink

lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:35 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:53 PM »

There is nothing inherently wrong with Canon, their SLRs have great IQ, it's just that the dynamic range and overall image quality of any SLR is so much better than PS cams.

The Olympus has a port for an optional viewfinder. I'm just saying, if it was me, I'd spring for the m4/3 format or at least take a hard look.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change