GWTW Forum
March 30, 2015, 04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 49327 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2015, 06:17 AM »

Tom White attended Kite Party 13 on Saturday and was kind enough to take the following pictures, also while flying each Bird of Prey (BOP).  Tom, thank you for taking the pictures of the BOP 36 PC and BOP 24S in flight.  Tom indicated the wind was between 6 and 8 mph and these BOPs did great!  These two BOPs plus a second BOP 24S were auctioned at the Kite Party 13 later that day.  Not much kite flying going on back in the northeast, with temperatures in the high 30s/low 40s and wind gusts to 37 mph.

If you are interested, the following provides a link to download the current flyer for the Bird of Prey Glider Kites.

Bird of Prey Glider Kites Flyer:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSQjhfdW1WTXhuLVk/view?usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Bird of Prey 36 PC

Bird of Prey 24S

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:09 AM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00 AM »

Now that Spring is almost here in the northeast, I am working on my Bird of Prey with a 96 inch wing span.  Hope to have it completed for the 25th Annual Kite Day in the Park, in Easton, PA on May 2, 2015.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2015, 12:44 PM »

Doug I did get to fly the bop that was at kp. Sweet flier! Another Dave managed to win it though Cry
It was really nice to get to fly this after reading so much about it. Thanks for donating it to the auction!!

Sine Metu!
Doug S

« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2015, 01:37 PM »

Dave,

I am so glad you got to play with the BOP 24S and BOP 36 PC at KP 13.  It was great that Tom White could attend and let you and others have fun with this unique glider kite design.  If you are interested in one and don't want to build it yourself, just drop me a line.  Just working on the BOP 96, which has 6 different colors over 16 panels.  What was I thinking?   Cheesy

Doug

DavidformerlyDavid

« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2015, 03:24 PM »

I am the happy new owner of BOP 36 PC, having won it at the auction.  I am very grateful to my family and the other attendees for letting me have it (after bidding it up!)  I'd been watching you prototype these on the web, and I was really excited at the prospect of actually having that kite for my own.

It's a really nice flyer, with a long, slow glide.  Very different from both my iFlight and Zero-G, but I got used to it very quickly.  I think the movements I need to make to fly the BOP are really agreeable and beautiful.  People thought I was doing Taichi!  A very smooth flying kite/glider.

I have some details of the experience I'll share with you via e-mail.
Doug S

« Reply #335 on: March 25, 2015, 07:09 AM »

Thank you to the two Daves for their kind words after flying the Bird of Prey (BOP) glider kites at Kite Party 13.

Now to the Dave that won the BOP 36 PC, congratulations and I have its identical twin back here in New Jersey.  When you received your BOP, it should have come with my 4 page Specifications and Instructions Booklet, which includes my contact information.  If not, I will send you by E-Mail the Booklet for your specific BOP.  Please let me know.

Yes the BOP glider kites do fly and handle differently from other glider kites, due to the swept forward wings, the associated forward tow point, the self-adjusting wing tips that washout under load and my preference for the center of gravity location.  I find the BOPs very easy to fly and they make me look good. Grin

I balance each BOP glider kite so that it has a very flat glide when there is no tension on the flying line.  Under this condition, the flying line is part of the balancing process, where the weight of the flying line and the associated drag assist in trimming the glider kite for the most efficient glide, with the highest Lift/Drag (L/D) ratio.  As you spool out more flying line, the weight of the line and the associated drag moves the center of gravity (CG) slightly forward, which allows the BOP to become more efficient, which will decrease the glide slope and increase the glide speed.  If the CG was located slightly closer to the tail, the angle of the sail to forward flight increases (known as the angle of attack), which increases the Induced Drag component of the L/D ratio.  The result of a CG location closer to the tail is a steeper glide angle.  The attached picture indicates the three components of the L/D ratio, where our goal is to trim and fly glider kites with the minimum amount of drag, if we wish to stay in the air for longer periods of time with the least amount of effort.  I have been working with Tom White on this trimming concept and it was great to hear the joy in his voice when he dialed in the center of gravity locations for the Bird of Prey glider kites he built for himself.

Regarding the tow point, there is a mark on the bridle line.  The bridle leader line has been set at this mark, which is the preferred location when using 50 pound spectra flying line.  This location provides a good balance of climb and response to changes in flying line tension.  If you move the bridle leader line slightly to the rear in the direction of the tail of the kite, the rate of climb will increase, but the kite will be slightly less responsive to changes in flying line tension.  If you move the bridle leader line slightly forward in the direction of the nose of the kite, the rate of climb will decrease and the kite will provide a more aggressive response to changes in flying line tension.  If you move the bridle leader line too far forward, your Bird of Prey will be unstable when tension is applied to the flying line.  If you feel the kite is too aggressive for your flying line inputs, move the bridle leader line to the rear in small increments until you get use to the BOP.  Once you become comfortable with the BOPís flying characteristics, move the bridle leader line forward in small increments in the direction of the black mark.

The PC-31 versions of the BOP can be flown very smoothly and/or aggressively in light winds.  If you get in trouble, just let the line go slack running through your hands, and the Bird of Prey will recover on its own.  I have had many jaw dropping moments with the PC-31 versions of the Bird of Prey and canít believe what it can do with aggressive changes in line tension.  If you want some pointers in that regard, such as diving turns, low altitude flat turn, flat turn to climb, and climbing flat spins (my favorite), just give me a call.

If you want to fly in no wind conditions, the Cuben version of the BOP 36 is my favorite.  Your BOP 36 PC weighs 17 grams, while the Cuben version weighs only 7.2 grams.  Same frame in both kites.  Look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:09 PM by Doug S » Logged

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #336 on: March 25, 2015, 07:47 PM »

Tom and I talked about printing the cuben. I wonder how it would affect the flite?

Sine Metu!
Doug S

« Reply #337 on: March 25, 2015, 09:28 PM »

DD,

Elliott and I had the same discussion a little while ago.  I will give my contact at Cubic Tech a call tomorrow.  If we add some color in strategic locations, we need to keep most of it in front of the wing spars so we don't have to add more nose weight.

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #338 on: March 27, 2015, 12:52 PM »

It is with great sadness that I let our kiting community know that Elliott passed today due to his battle with cancer.  I had the very fortunate pleasure and honor to build for Elliott a few of my Bird of Prey glider kites.  I really enjoyed my E-Mail conversations with him.  Elliott, you will be missed and may you rest in peace my friend.

Doug

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #339 on: March 27, 2015, 01:36 PM »

who is Elliot? what is his last name? username?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #340 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44 PM »

Thief,

Elliott's last name is Brogren as indicated in the subject of my post.  Regarding kiting, he was very active in the Seattle Washington area.  Others on this forum got him in touch with me, where we talked via email.

Doug

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:55 PM by Doug S » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2015, 01:49 PM »

oh i missed that, sorry!
I sent Elliot some iFlites too!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2015, 05:58 PM »

On September 9, 2014, Elliott and I began a short, but very rewarding dialog from each coast of our great country.  We talked about our love for our families, engineering and kiting.  During this correspondence is when I learned of his on-going battle with cancer.  My wife, Eileen, is a breast cancer survivor for over eight years, and this terrible disease brought Elliott and I closer together.  I felt as if I knew him for my entire life.  We had a common bond where sharing our love for kiting brought us great pleasure and peace of mind.

For those of you who new Elliott, you are very fortunate to have enjoyed his company and his passion for life.  For those of you who didnít have the opportunity to meet Elliott, then please let me share with you the following link of Elliott flying his Bird of Prey 36 (14-09-24-04) at the "Run from the Rain" kite festival in Ocean Shores, Washington, which video he shared with me on November 4, 2014:  http://youtu.be/6O2aULQMfxI

The following picture is Elliott doing what he loved, flying kites.  God speed Elliott, and I am sure we will meet again.

Doug

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:02 PM by Doug S » Logged

twhite510

« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2015, 06:35 PM »

That was some wonderful fling from obviously a wonderful person. My thoughts are with him and his family.
Pages: 1 ... 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum