GWTW Forum
February 07, 2016, 06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 91960 times)
twhite510
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #465 on: January 22, 2016, 01:35 PM »

I finished the Bird of Prey builds for Phil Burks and Archie Stewart, and the glider kites are now in the mail to there new homes.  I ran out of room to hang up my Birds of Prey and the new builds in my workshop, so I used a length of braided Dacron and made the display line show below for my Bird of Prey 36s:

The following indicates the version of my Bird of Prey 36 displayed in the picture from top to bottom, as viewed from the back so you can see the various colors:

- Bird of Prey 36 - Original Prototype made with 0.34 White Cuben Fabric
- Bird of Prey 36 - Made with 0.34 Orange Cuben Fabric (Used for the 2015 Contest Season)
- Bird of Prey 36B - Made with 0.8 Blue Cuben Fabric
- Bird of Prey 36M - 3 Panels made with Cuben Fabric (1.3 Aluminum, 0.8 Blue & 0.34 Orange)
- Bird of Prey 36M - 3 Panels made with Cuben Fabric (1.0 Black, 0.8 Blue & 0.34 White)
- Bird of Prey 36M - 3 Panels made with Cuben Fabric (1.43 White, 0.8 Blue & 0.34 White)

The bottom two were built to test out the new 0.34 Cuben White.  With the above, I now have made 64 Birds of Prey, where 45 have been for other kite enthusiasts.  I have 19 for myself.  Now to finish the prototype for the Bird of Prey 18.

Yes I have an illness.  I have too many toys.  Cheesy

Yours in kiting,

Doug

I am glad you said it first 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2016, 02:02 PM »

now...i NEVER qualify kites as toys.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #467 on: January 22, 2016, 03:14 PM »

Rob,

Ok, how about this.  "I have a quantity and variety of low sail loading, aerodynamically efficient flying objects made from state of the art materials, which are skillfully controlled through the use of a single tether to perform aerobatic routines choreographed to music within a confined three dimensional environment under still air conditions.  The quantity and variety of the flying objects are necessary to property match the flying object to the mood and tempo of the selected music, in order to obtain the best emotional response from the viewing audience."  Cheesy

To our non-kiting spouses, they are still "Toys."  Grin

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #468 on: January 22, 2016, 04:54 PM »

Jeez... Engineers.....

Tongue

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2016, 07:39 PM »

As the result of the large snowstorm we had today (19 inches measured), I was able to finish building the Bird of Prey 18.  Test flew this little gem in my Family Room on several occasions today, and it's a keeper.  It weighs only 1.3 grams, with a sail loading of only 0.09 oz./sq.ft. of projected sail area.  This is the lowest sail loading in the Bird of Prey family, 14.4 percent lower than the next lightest Bird of Prey, which is the Bird of Prey 24.  Some of the weight savings was by eliminating the battens, which are not needed due to the design layout and stiffness of the 0.34 Cuben Fabric.  This little gem has a wing span of 18 inches and projected sail area of 73 square inches.  I used the CST DPP 0.028 inch OD carbon tubes for the center spine and the wing spars.

The Bird of Prey 18 is flown on 10 to 15 feet of 5 lb. spectra line.  For storage, this little gem needs to be stored flat.  If it's rolled up, a curl will be added to the Cuben Fabric at the wing tips that will impact the performance, since there are no battens.  I will finalize and post the link to the plans next week.

I will revisit the Bird of Prey 12 and build one in the same manor.

Bird of Prey 18 - Side View

Bird of Prey 18 - Line View

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:08 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #470 on: January 25, 2016, 05:49 PM »

The following provides the link to access the plans for the Bird of Prey 18.  I will take some pictures of this glider kite and post them in a few days on my Google Drive that also can be accessed using the following link.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwj9y_lTaMmFWjYxNWtrWHpMTjQ&usp=sharing

I also updated the plans for the various versions of the Bird of Prey 36, indicating the different color and weights that I have used to date.

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:52 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #471 on: January 26, 2016, 06:32 AM »

The following pictures are now available on my Google Drive, using the following link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwj9y_lTaMmFWjYxNWtrWHpMTjQ&usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Bird of Prey 18 - Line View

Bird of Prey 18 - Side View

Bird of Prey 18 - Rear View

Bird of Prey 18 - Nose View

Bird of Prey 18 - Center View

Bird of Prey 18 - Tail View

Bird of Prey 18 - Right Tip View

Doug S

« Reply #472 on: January 26, 2016, 04:35 PM »

I adjusted with the location for the Center of Gravity (balance point).   Using the full 5/8 in. End Cap and when this glider kite was about 5 feet away from me, the 5 lb. spectra flying line was acting as expected like additional nose weight, making the glide steeper and faster than desired.  When I trimmed 1/8 in. off of the open end of the End Cap, I would need to keep constant tension on the flying line, otherwise this glider kite would just stall and recover and stall again.  The weight of the flying line was not enough to over come this tail heavy condition and I was restricted to fly less than 5 feet from me.

The sweet spot was when I trimmed only 1/16 in. off of the open end of the End Cap, and now the glide is flat and slow for flying in small rooms.  In my home, the Bird of Prey 18 took the entire 10 feet of 5 lb. spectra flying line out of my hands and kept gliding nice and slow.  I need to make up a longer length of flying line (about 20 feet), and see what this little gem can carry.  The plans have been updated on my Google Drive to indicate the revised location for the Center of Gravity (balance point), which is now 4 1/4 in. from the nose.  Due to the very light weight of this glider kite at 1.3 grams, the weight and drag of the flying line has more influence on the glide than the larger versions of this glider kite series.

If you should choose to build one of these little gems, the key to this series of glider kites is to not be afraid to tinker with the location of the Center of Gravity (balance point) to achieve the desired glide.  Personal preferences in building techniques and variations in material densities can alter the initial balance point.  That is why my plans suggest you determine the initial balance point, adjust as necessary to achieve the indicated location on the plans and then begin the process of tuning the glider kite for the desired glide.  Enjoy.

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:39 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #473 on: January 31, 2016, 10:54 AM »

The following picture shows three completed Bird of Prey 18s.  The top one and middle one are made from the new white/grey 0.34 Cuben Fabric.  The bottom one is made from orange Cuben Fabric.  They each weigh 1.3 grams.

The top one is the prototype and is mine to play with.  The middle one is for Tom White who made me the great aluminum template to cut out the sail material.  His will be in the mail to him tomorrow, so he can drive his wife crazy like I do flying it in his home.  The bottom one is for Phil Burks, who inspired me to develop this size of the Bird of Prey.  His is on its way to meet him when he arrives in South Padre Island, Texas.

I will build another one for me, but use Dacron 4.0 oz. for the nose reinforcement instead of the PC-31.  This will allow me to use a smaller size end cap.  The total weight and balance point should remain the same, but we will see when it is done.  Just me tinkering.  If I like this modification, I will update the plans.

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:56 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2016, 06:40 AM »

The Bird of Prey 18 glider kites for Tom White and Phil Burks have reached their new happy homes.  The following is one of the pictures that Tom White sent me, with him having fun with his new little glider kite.  Both of us feel this little gem performs just like a smaller version of the Bird of Prey 36.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:34 AM by Doug S » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom