GWTW Forum
December 11, 2016, 06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 35 [36]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 173605 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #525 on: November 07, 2016, 08:01 AM »

Attended for my first time the Olan and Bernice Turner International Invitational Open Peanut Butter Cookie Kite Fly and Bake Off on Sunday, November 6th, that ran from noon to 4 pm.  This is a great little informal kite festival on the Boardwalk in Seaside Park, New Jersey.  The event has been going on for 30 years.  When Olan and Bernice Turner couldnít run the event any more, they asked Mike and Celia Dallmer to take over.  Mike and Celia do a fantastic job.  There were about 15 of us there.  Lisa Willoughby won the kite portion of the very informal competition with a cute little indoor paper napkin kite of the Peanuts Gang.  I forget who won the peanut butter cookie portion of the event.  My peanut butter cookie chocolate chip brownies didnít place, but my family loved them.  Oh well.  I came to fly and just hang with good kite flying people.

The temperatures were in the high 50s, with an estimate wind speed of 15 to 17 mph by NOAA, out of the north northwest.  Due to the wind direction, the air was a little choppy coming over the shore homes and the dunes.  Without knowing the actual wind speeds, I did the unthinkable and put up my Bird of Prey (BOP) 96 with the stronger of the two frames (P100s/2PTs), which was designed for maximum wind speed of about 10 mph (my estimate).  I was going to fly my large Premier Red, White and Blue Rokkaku or my HQ Treczoks Cody, but I didnít want to get dragged down the beach.  I wanted to fly one of my patriotic kites, since we were within a few blocks of the pipe bomb explosion that happened on September 17, 2016.  Mike made each of the participants a little red, white and blue shaped peanut tail, out of ripstop nylon.  A few of us hung them off of the tail portions of our kites.

I detuned my BOP 96 by adding the longest nose weight I had and moved the bridle connection point forward 1 in.  I also added my old Dyna kite 1 in. wide and 60 ft. long tails to it, with red and blue on the tips and white for the center.  I switched to 250 lb. Dacron line to add drag.  Did I tell you we were launching off of the new board walk over the fenced in sand dunes?  That made it even more fun.  The BOP 96 flew well and stable.  The pull was light to moderate and the sail unloaded under the stiff wind.  It looked really cool with the three 60 ft. long tails.  I flew it for over an hour, and then brought it down on the beach.  Didnít want to land it in the fenced in dunes with the tails.  The PC-31 sail and frame were in great shape, with no damaged due to the excessive wind.  Not bad for a kite with 2,079 sq.in. of sail area, that only weighs 178 grams.  It actually flew better than the convention delta kites that were in the air.  When the wind would cycle low, the BOP 96 would glide to right over my head.  Didnít know the actual wind speeds until I checked it on NOAA this morning, which were brisk at 16 with gusts to 25 mph.  What was I thinking.  I will make up a stiffer frame and longer nose weight, in case I am foolish enough to trying that again in the future.

After that fun, Lisa Willoughby and I went down on the beach to fly multi-line kites.  Lisa flew one of her vented Revs.  I brought out my old 1995 8 ft. Raptor Dual Line Stunt Kites (my design), with the four adjustable vents.  Back in the day, I made it with state-of-the-art Shysharks, some of which were never placed on the market, like the hybrid composite center spine.  Wasnít going to break this frame or kite.  I had each of the four vents open half way.  Flew it on 140 ft. of 300 lb. spectra line, with a 100 ft. multi-colored tail that matched the sail (red, white, blue and black).  The tail was made for me by the late Sarge Cleaves.  The forward speed and line pull were perfect, and I had a blast for another hour.  It added some nice patriotic color to the air.

One of the most fun days I have had flying outdoors in a white.  Did tell Mike on a few occasions that I am a spooled kite flyer, since now I spend most of my time flying glider kites indoors or in low wind conditions on grass fields.  What is with this wind and sand stuff?

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Mike Dallmerís Red, White and Blue Peanut

Bird of Prey 96 surviving the 16 to 25 mph winds

Bird of Prey 96 surviving the 16 to 25 mph winds, dumping excessive wind from a gust

Bird of Prey 96 surviving the 16 to 25 mph winds with its happy pilot

Bird of Prey 96 surviving the 16 to 25 mph winds in the background

Bird of Prey 96 happy to be back on the ground with pilot and Celia Dallmer
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:22 AM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Fly Market

« Reply #526 on: November 07, 2016, 01:56 PM »

We can tell you were a first timer. Vets simply refer to the event as the OABTIIOPBCKF.  Cheesy
Doug S

« Reply #527 on: November 07, 2016, 02:12 PM »

You mean OABTIIOPBCKFABO.  Cheesy  Rookie only at that event.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:28 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #528 on: November 17, 2016, 10:15 AM »

And then there were three.  Finally finished this Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle for Jose Sainz, of San Diego, CA.  It was a joy to test fly last night.  Going to miss working on this one.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #529 on: November 23, 2016, 07:59 AM »

May your Thanksgiving be filled with love, laughter and remembrances of good times with family and friends.  Happy Thanksgiving!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:57 AM by Doug S » Logged

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #530 on: November 23, 2016, 09:33 PM »

Doug, I am seeing all your photos as broken links... did I miss some earlier discussion on how to see your pics?
Doug S

« Reply #531 on: November 24, 2016, 05:39 AM »

Sugarbaker,

The photo links are working for me on various devices.  Google may have had a short term problem.  Please try again.

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #532 on: December 05, 2016, 07:09 AM »

The following provides the link for the indoor performances at the Cherry Valley Kite Festival.  The Cherry Valley Kite Festival took place on September 23 and 24, 2016 in Cherry Valley, NY.  The videos include individual performances by Paul Berard, James Fletcher, Steve Santos, Doug Stout, Mike Stuligross, Fred Taylor and Scott Weider.  The videos also include a single line group performance with Paul Perard, Doug Stout, Mike Stuligross and Donna Taylor, and quad line group performance with Steve Santos, Fred Taylor and Scott Weider.  Thank you to Mike Stuligross who took the videos.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFbmgtaWI3V0Z1U1k?usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Pages: 1 ... 35 [36]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom