GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 05:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 37912 times)
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31 AM »

Well done Doug, big kudos.

Mike
coogee

« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2014, 07:36 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubfsj6i44a89ul0/BOP.jpeg?dl=0

Just finished a BOP 48. Framed in 3 mm tube and 0.8 rod for the sail battens. Looks great and have just had it in the air in over powered conditions and it came back in one piece and flew like a champ.

Many thanks to Doug and the forum.

Mike

Doug S

« Reply #257 on: December 06, 2014, 10:04 AM »

Finally found time to finish the Bird of Prey (BOP) 36 for me and the prototype of the BOP 12.

The BOP 12 fly's great and is fun to play with in a typical home room.  It fly's like the BOP 24, just a little more responsive.

It has a wing span of 12 inches and weighs only 0.7 grams with a sail loading of 0.0215 ounces/square inch of sail area, about the same as the BOP 24.  The sail material is 0.33 orange Cuben fabric.  The reinforcements are orange Cuben fabric, black PC31 and some had stitching like its bigger brothers.  The center spine and wing spars are made from a 0.02 inch diameter carbon rod.  The battens are made from a 0.01 inch diameter carbon rod.  The bridle, wing spar cross line and flying line are from 5 pound spectra line.  The 1/16 inch end cap was all that was needed to balance the kite.  Will experiment with the location of the center of gravity to confirm I found the sweet spot.  The following provides a picture of the BOP 12 with a 6 inch ruler as a point of reference.

Later,

Doug

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:29 PM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2014, 12:53 PM »

Oh Doug if you happen to make another 12 I would love to have it join its brother!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #259 on: December 06, 2014, 01:03 PM »

Thief,

No problem.  Just let me tinker with the center of gravity a little more, then I will build one for you.

Doug

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2014, 06:27 PM »

That is a cute one! Well done Doug.
Doug S

« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2014, 07:20 AM »

Tinkered with the center of gravity yesterday and I believe I found the sweet spot, by moving the location back just a little bit.  Couldn't resist flying the BOP 12 in my front yard in 5 mph winds, while taking breaks setting up the outside Christmas decorations.  Tough little kite and very responsive to minor line inputs.

As a point of reference, the ultra-light BOP 36 would be your favorite dog you have owned for years, who is calm and responses to your requests in a loving way.  The ultra-light BOP 24 is the same dog when it was about 1 to 2 years in age, who is more responsive and energetic.  The BOP 12 is the same dog as a puppy, full of excitement and movement.  It reacts to any slight changes in air, both indoors and outdoors.  Grin

I will finish the BOP 12 plans and post them before the end of this week, as a holiday gift to my fellow glider kite enthusiasts.  Rob and Art have already requested that I build a BOP 12 for them.

Later,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2014, 05:19 PM »

Dear Fellow Glider Kite Enthusiasts,

The following provides the links to the Bird of Prey 12 made with Cuben fabric.

Links to Plan:

Bird of Prey 12 Pattern with List of Materials:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSV0t1cURQTjZwNVk/view?usp=sharing

The plans print out on one 11 x 17 inch piece of paper.  As with the posting of my other versions of the Bird of Prey, please provide a donation to this great Forum if you choose to download a copy of the plans.  Thank you.

Links to Pictures (Also shown below):

Bird of Prey 12 Front View Picture:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSNXF1RFphMzI1SUk/view?usp=sharing

Bird of Prey 12 Back View Picture:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSWklSUjM1aEwxT3M/view?usp=sharing

If you are not comfortable building a Bird of Prey 12 yourself, just send me a note and I will build one for you.  The reasonable fee I request for the construction the Bird of Prey 12 allows me to replace my building materials, so that I can continue my research efforts that brought you the Hawks, Raperes, and now the Birds of Prey.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:27 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49 AM »

Elliott Brogren was kind enough to provide the following pictures of his Bird of Prey 36 in flight at the Pierce County Kite Association and Washington Kitefliers Association Christmas party.

The first picture is with Elliott finishing his flight.

The second and third pictures are with Paul de Bakker flying the Bird of Prey 36.

Thank you Elliott for sharing the pictures from the Christmas Party.

Yours in kitting,

Doug

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:26 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Working on several Birds of Prey (BOP) for fellow glider kite enthusiasts.  The following picture shows the sails for two BOP 36s in process, which are made from PC31.  The red and black one is for Steve, while the white, yellow and black one is for Art.  Panels are glued together, ready to be sewn.

Back to working on the several made from Cuben fabric.

Later,

Doug

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:11 PM by Doug S » Logged

stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #265 on: December 14, 2014, 09:31 PM »

Oh, looks nice Doug!  Pretty curves. Great minds I see  Cool

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2014, 06:39 AM »

wow...gorgeous!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum