GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new Mantis  (Read 2312 times)
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 12, 2010, 06:56 PM »

I just got word from Ken McNeill of Blue Moon Kites, that my new Mantis is in the mail and headed to its new home. My home. Grin

I asked him if he could take a few shots while he was putting it together, which he did. Thanks Ken.

They are posted on the BKM forum. (hope you don't mind me sharing your handywork Ken).

http://www.bluemoonkites.com/forum/blog.php/?page_id=1083

I can't wait. I just hope it stops raining by the time it gets here.

I'll put up some pics with it in the sky after it arrives and the weather clears up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:44 AM by iwannafly » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:59 PM »

that is GORGEOUS.
Congrats on a new kite.  Wink

Quite a looker, that one

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
iwannafly

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:05 PM »

Thanks. I came up with this colour pattern 2 or 3 days before I ordered it, yet  I spent months in and out of the colorizer with no real results. Go figure. Roll Eyes
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46 PM »

Thanks. I came up with this colour pattern 2 or 3 days before I ordered it, yet  I spent months in and out of the colorizer with no real results. Go figure. Roll Eyes
Sometimes the planets just align! Very nice!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:08 PM »

Purple, Grey & White, can't hardly go wrong with that. Looks great. The Mantis has nearly as many possibilities as the Mamba in sail design. Me I couldn't decide on a design with something as simple as the layout of the Exile Mira, I would just throw up my hands on a Mantis and tell Ken to make something up. Good Job

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stapp59
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02 PM »

Well that came out nicely.   Cool

The Mantis is one of may favorites. Flew the UL just this evening and spent a half hour talking to a passer by about it.  He has a Micron and was amazed at the low wind ability of the Mantis. Hopefully he'll be back...

Enjoy your Mantis!
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:20 AM »

Hi,   Great looking Mantis  Wink The weather is clearing up and we will soon be getting some nice days for flying . I have been flying this week with some flyers at Millikan Park and will again next week. Maybe , when you get your Mantis we will get together and have a fly session. Hope to see you again shortly. In the meantime  Smooth and gentle winds  .    Tempest
DWayne

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:31 AM »

Very nice indeed.  Wink
Enjoy it.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DaveH
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:27 PM »

Beautiful kite!  I got to fly a friends' vented Mantis awhile back and loved it.  Congrats Wink
iwannafly

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:52 AM »

It's here, it's here, my BMK Mantis is here. Great work Ken!

I can't believe how light this kite is compared to my Quantum. Now I just need to figure out how much weight to add and get this thing in the air. Saddly I will not be able to fly it till after work. :'(

Here is a few quick pics to get an idea how great this thing looks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47917995@N05/
DWayne

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:41 PM »

15 grams is what I liked best on mine. Its a starting point anyway.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
iwannafly

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 04:50 PM »

15 grams is what I liked best on mine. Its a starting point anyway.  Wink

Denny
How much does each weight weigh, by the way?

I was out for about 45 minutes. The first launch was so smooth and quiet. My Quantum makes a lot of noise in the air. That is the only thing I can compare the Mantis too right now.

Still being new to this whole kite flying thing, I know there is a lot to learn. I was able to fade launch my Quantum well enough, but the Mantis was very difficult to launch in this manner. 2 tries ended up back on the ground  Sad and 1 attempt  ended up in the air, but man was it uuuuglyyyy!  EmbarrassedI need to relearn everything again. Thankfully I don't know much yet. Wink

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:22 PM »

It shouldn't be a matter of relearning, just finding out how strong/soft each kite like the inputs. The inputs should be fairly close except for intensity...

I sometimes go to the top of the window and just pop the kite a few times just to get a feel of how hard it wants the inputs for pitch moves; fade, turtle, yo-yo, etc.

This is to reacquaint myself with input strength when I haven't flown a kite for awhile, or when flying a new kite...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:19 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
DaveH
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 06:08 PM »

I believe the weights are 5 grams each.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 06:30 PM »

A nickel weighs 5 grams.

A roll of quarters weighs 8 ounces.

Handy info.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document