GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a question on vented...  (Read 2749 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05 PM »

So a summary of ways to handle gusty variable wind conditions would include:

- Dynamic parasite drag to control speedup during gusts using a buzzing TE
- Bendy frame (LE) that lets the sail dump excess wind
- Small or variable vents to take the edge off the gusts
- Screens to slow the gusts and/or the kite
- Longer heavier lines
- Bridle and standoff tweaks
- Waiting for better conditions   Shocked
- Finding a better field  Roll Eyes
- Having a beer instead  Cheesy

The best approach would depend on your purpose.  Competition ballet or pairs would put a premium on speed control. 

For me I want to be able to fly my favorite kites is as broad range of conditions as possible.  Vents, screens, standoff tweaks, and perhaps a bridle tweak gets me through most higher wind and gusty days.  As mentioned my kites have fairly stiff frames, Icarex sails, and taut TEs. I find bendy frames tend to chatter in higher winds.  I like quiet kites though certainly see the value in dynamic drag. YMMV certainly applies.

Other ideas out there?

inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 02:33 AM »

Another one is a variable width keel.

As an example BMKs come with 3 positions for the inner standoff. Move it out widening the keel and narrowing the channel, that slows the kite in stronger winds . Move it in narrowing the keel and widening the channel improves low wind performance.

On other kites that idea can be made dynamic by removing the inner two standoffs and replacing them with a length of bungee so that when there is a lot of pressure in the outer part of the sail it stretches the bungee widening the keel; When there is little pressure the bungee pulls it back narrowing the keel.

The AirCrafts Sidekick used to have an arrangement like this and it was moderately effective. It did feel a little spongey, although some of that was due to a K42 sail and a 6mm frame.

ISTR the Aerodrone stripes had a variable keel too, although I can't remember if that was a similar mechanism.

stapp59
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 06:35 PM »

Thanks for the info Ian.  Had not thought about the dynamic keel width idea. I assume the bungee goes between the inner standoff holes and behind the kite.

Certainly the multiple inner standoff holes are effective as are adjustable standoffs like Aerostar uses on the Sano to modify the TE profile.

Cheers,
Steve
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49 AM »

I assume the bungee goes between the inner standoff holes and behind the kite.

Yes

RonG
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 06:20 AM »

ISTR the Aerodrone stripes had a variable keel too, although I can't remember if that was a similar mechanism.

Yes, dynamic keel on the Stripes.  I'd have to say though that it was marginally effective at best.  I always said that the Stripes was a fantastic competition kite in the 5-9 mph wind range.  Below that it was basically a boat anchor, above that it you might as well buggy with it.  But in that sweet spot...a wind window that went on forever, and about as smooth as you could want a kite to be.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document