GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite storage?  (Read 3450 times)
kchunks
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 13, 2010, 09:10 AM »

What is the preferred method of storing a kite?  I ask because I have been thinking of hanging one or two from the ceiling in my son's room.  I am just curious if leaving it put together might stretch out the sails too much or if everything would be just fine.  So far, they are pretty much stored in their bags.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:57 AM »

It all depends on the kite in question and how long do you want to store it.

Best is in a bag, everything without tension and put in a dark place that is dry and normal room temperature.
I have kites that where this way for nearly two decades in storeage and they are still fine.

Hanging a kite in a room is ok for short term, just keep the standoffs out, so you don't have to much tension on the sail.
However the UV radition form the sunlight will slowly weaken the sail.

Its a tradeoff of what you want to do.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:34 PM »

Put a little something in the connectors so they will come apart easy when it is time to take it down. Crisco works real well. I have kites I have never taken apart and they are still fine.

Direct sunlight for a long period of time can cause some fading, but we are talking aboout a LONG period of time in a window or something. I just rotate mine in the window, makes pretty colors in the AM.... Cool

It is all a matter of opinion guy....

"Do what you like"
chrispie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06 PM »

my kites are always kept in the bag.. rolled up... but i do not unhook the leading edge knots, will that pose a problem in long term? always find it kinda troublesome if i need to erect the leading edges whenever i want to fly.

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:14 PM »

I know it IS better to take the tension off when you're not flying, but to be honest, I don't always loosen my sails when I'm packing up...but then I am flying pretty regularly, so they don't stay that way for very long...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:23 PM »

Wow... This thread makes me feel like I treat my kites like dirt.

I don't think that leaving the wing tips tensioned is going to cause any trouble unless you have a lightweight fabric as the LE sleeve, plan on making the kite last forever, and almost never fly it. The only times I've damaged leading edge materials not in flight is when tensioning them. Tensioning them and detensioning them puts wear and tear on the holes and such.

If you only plan on having kites last a few years, I wouldn't worry about anything. Unless it is a abnormally highly tensioned sail, leaving the standoffs in (at least on icarex sails) will not put much stress on them.

Personally I just throw my kites in the sleeves. I don't bother taking the lower spreaders out of the lower leading edge connectors.
This is all just my opinion. If it makes you happier to be really careful with your kites - go for it  Smiley
DaveH
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:24 PM »

I keep my kites in the bag and leave the leading edges tensioned.  Been doing it for 20 years and never had a problem.
anOldMan

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:47 AM »

I keep the kites with straight LE tensioned, raped and in a sleeve. The kite that have a bowed LE are de-tensioned, raped and in a bag. The de-tensioning is not because of the sail but the putting in the bag. something alwas catches when I try to remove the kite from the bag.   Grin

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 03:00 AM »

glad I have a consensual relationship with my kites  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:37 AM »

At least he's consistent, he rapes them all, regardless of how their leading edges are shaped.  Cheesy  some guys will only rape the ones with curved leading egdes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32 AM »

At least he's consistent, he rapes them all, regardless of how their leading edges are shaped.  Cheesy  some guys will only rape the ones with curved leading egdes

Denny
Wow! I mean I love my kites, but I don't LOVE my kites! Huh Huh Huh

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 08:39 AM »

I keep my kites in the bag and leave the leading edges tensioned.  Been doing it for 20 years and never had a problem.
+1 but only 16 years

i do have some kites up and around the house....tension on them is low....
certain materials like Carrinton (mid 90's sport kites) will stretch a lot over time...rendering the kite useless in flight.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 10:43 AM »

Like most of you I don't detension the leading edges except on those few that wouldn't pack otherwise, Tricktail's, Utopia's. I do remove the spreaders, that's a habit from the days of vinyl tubing for connectors and the early molded connectors which were not very reliable, I've never seen a real APA fail from folding the spreaders.

The kites used to reside in a spare closet in the house, that is preferable, but I'm afraid the collection has outgrown it and migrated to the garage.

As far as leaving them on display, I have cats, enough said? Of course they'll gather dirt and exposure to sunlight and flourescent lights is going to hasten fading and degrading. Only you can determine if it's worth it.

What I consider the most important point on storing kites - Don't store them wet. Of course you'll have to bag them wet once in a while, so go home and take them out of the bag, no need to set them up, just get airflow around them, they dry quickly. Color transfer between fabrics happens as well as from bridle lines and mold is your enemy. Thirty minutes to an hour standing in a warm corner and they'll dry.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum