GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 07:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taz Machine ... Old school?  (Read 6199 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 03:30 PM »

Seems to me the taz became popular when people started flying french style kites.  It's a good way to get a decent looking flat spin on kites that don't flat spin well.

What I don't like about the trick is the loss of control. I've never been a big fan of tricks where you pop, slack and pray for it to come around. I'm not a good enough flyer to consistently pull off one pop, multiple rotation flat spins.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 03:58 PM »

Well I have to go with Denny on this one, You enter a Slot Machine from horizontal flight, lets just say from left to right, you exit it in horizontal flight again from left to right, a full circle over here is 360 degree's, I know because I run around in them all day Wink. Technically I guess since you rotated the kite between 30 & 45 degrees clockwise to setup the trick then back that 30-45 degrees before the full 360 degree rotation you could stretch it & say 420-450 degree's. But I wouldn't count the reversing of that original setup rotation and only give you rotation in a single direction so the most I'm giving on a Slot Machine is 390-405 degrees.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 04:42 PM »

Ah! Peter Peters'!

The site so nice he named it twice!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:44 PM by JimB » Logged
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:18 PM »

I've never been a big fan of tricks where you pop, slack and pray for it to come around. I'm not a good enough flyer to consistently pull off one pop, multiple rotation flat spins.

I don't think it requires a prayer  Smiley just just the proper timing for the inputs. Once you got that it's not much different than many other flat spin tricks.

I still think it seems "old school"

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Dolphinboy

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 10:38 PM »

How much rotation for a correct Slot Machine?

I've always done them like I've seen them in the videos. 360 deg or just over 360 deg (slightly nose away) coming out the same direction as you started.

As far as how much rotation for a correct slot Machine here is a description of a Horizontal Slot (Slot Machine?) by Jon T:

"Horizontal Slot - Fly across the window, execute a half axle move with your inside hand (up wing) As soon as the belly flattens out (that is before the half axle move is completed!), pull your inside hand again sharply and push forward the outside hand causing the kite to spin a 540 flat spin. Do this at the edge close to the ground, the kite 540s back into the window for a landing."

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35 AM »

"... Do this at the edge close to the ground, the kite 540s back into the window for a landing."

AKA the Flashback slot/540 variant.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 10:50 AM »

"... Do this at the edge close to the ground, the kite 540s back into the window for a landing."

AKA the Flashback slot/540 variant.

So what's the trick I learned from randyg's slot machine tutorial? No matter what angle I look at it from, I only see a 360 degree rotation in his video.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 11:33 AM »

The Peter Peters description is identical to the one I got from Jon T. Smiley

From FA:

"TP-USA Tricks Party Definition Group 3

The SLOT MACHINE is a single 360 belly-down rotation initiated from a flare (belly down, nose away) that is entered from a horizontal line of flight. From a horizontal position (nose pointing left or right), the kite is flared and then rotated on its belly a full 360. If the kite is pointing left, the kite will rotate counterclockwise; if pointing right, it will rotate clockwise. The kite should exit the rotation in the same direction (left or right) of entry. Compare TAZ MACHINE.
KEY ELEMENTS: ►Horizontal entry and exit in same direction. ►Flat rotation."

They say 360 go figure! I do it 360 deg and call it a Slot Machine. When a was doing the Taz wrong it was a 540 Slot and difficult to do consistently, for me anyway.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 01:07 PM »

The definitions have a tendency to drift over time, as Mr. Zippy has pointed out.

A flashback is (or was) any slot that travels back towards the center of the window. The further out in the window, or even outside the window, it is executed the further back into the window it will travel, much like a side slide.

You don't have to exit at 360.. nothing wrong with it though.

Probably better to just call it a flatspin variant to take that into account.

The main reason I consider the taz a 540 variant is that the positioning/2nd input is identical to the positioning/2nd input for a std 540. The tricky bit is getting it set up from the half axel.

TP definitions have never been in complete compliance with generally accepted trick definitions; they needn't be. For the purposes of trick competitions under TP rules, it's more about getting everybody flying the same thing, rather than matching, point for point, with whatever the current def is.

Having said that.. the French took a lot of liberties re-naming and defining in whole new ways stuff that had already been named and defined.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:13 PM by JimB » Logged
stuartF

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 01:21 PM »

If 540s, Slots and Taz are pretty much the same, how come I can wring the first two out of my Inner Space, but not the Taz ??
 Cry
Stuart

the lunatic is on the grass
Dolphinboy

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 09:21 PM »

If 540s, Slots and Taz are pretty much the same, how come I can wring the first two out of my Inner Space, but not the Taz ??
 Cry
Stuart

The belly down flat spin part is similar but the entries are all very different. I've had trouble with the Taz on several kites that will 540 & Slot no problem too.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 09:31 AM »

Cry
Stuart

I believe it has to do with the nose position for timing of the second wrist pop. For a Taz compared to a Slot, let the nose rotate further around and away from you before the rotation wrist pop input is made. This is from someone that can barely do a Slot both directions. I'm not Tazzed yet in either direction.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 09:43 AM »

It is the position necessary before the spin input.

A slot you need to spin before it points directly away.
In a taz you have to wait until the nose is beyond.

Kites with little mass (I haven't flown one, but I guess like the inner space) may have trouble getting the momentum to rotate far enough.
fworley
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 10:05 AM »

Kites with little mass (I haven't flown one, but I guess like the inner space) may have trouble getting the momentum to rotate far enough.
Mark Clements - of JoE fame - has a solution for his ... add a little weight to the wingtips.

I have a Talon UL ... it has little mass ... but Taz's easily ... the weighting helps maintain momentum.

-Frazer
Beaufort

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 11:56 AM »

Cry
Stuart

Because the Taz on many kites is a very sensitive trick regading timing and force of inputs   Cry . On standards this is often more evident, than on UL/SULs. Practise at the very edge of the window and focus on timing and finesse, never force, and you will get the Taz eventually  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change