GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 05:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saber II by Will Sturdy  (Read 11185 times)
turbo23
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 09:07 AM »

is that the tail section to a aircraft? I also dig the red!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25 AM »

is that the tail section to a aircraft? I also dig the red!

They are decommissioned submarine fins - its a large art installation just below kite hill.   There must be 2 dozen of them - they look like a pod of orca whales swimming in the field.

The red is pretty sweet - this picture does not do it justice as you cannot see all the detail of the colors when in the sun.

Of course, we have been plagued with too little wind lately which is why I was taking picitures of the kite rather than flying it!  Smiley

6 kite tom
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:06 PM »

See this (I may have put it in the wrong place).

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3163.0

6 kite tom
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 12:44 AM »

I've flown, bought, and sold many kites over the last few years ...gradually streamlining my kite bag to a few select favorites ...an R-Sky NFX Manga, an NFX Extend, a Mohawk XS, etc. There aren't too many kites on the kite market that I haven't flown, at least briefly if not more ...and since I still thoroughly enjoy the above mentioned favorites, there wasn't much desire or temptation to add anything new to my bag.

That was before I flew Will's new Saber II. Although I usually prefer a slightly smaller kite, Will's Saber II doesn't have that 'heavy' feel that I didn't particularly care for in most larger kites I have flown. It also seems to do just about everything I can do with a kite ...very very well. It has moderate to light pull for a larger sail and ...is smooth and precise.  After flying Will's Saber II at Treasure Island this past January, I knew it would be my next duel-line kite purchase, when my kite funds were replenished.

It just arrived via UPS...just in time for a planned trip to the beach this weekend!  Grin

I'm really looking forward to flying my own Saber II. I hope the winds are co-operative!

ohhh...and here's a pic. of SaberII #11. I was inspired to go with the same color scheme as the OP's Saber II.

Will has incorporated a couple of nice construction techniques. I like how he is doing the LE spreader connector cut-outs. They are rounded ...or oval (hot cut I believe) on the the ends which should prevent the dacron LE material from tearing as easily as a straight cut. He has also folded the dacron over on the inside of the LE strip and straight stitch sewn so that the open edge should be more durable and should not be subject to fraying. One more nice touch, IMO ...I like the way he beefed up and strengthened the trailing edge areas. Instead of using Mylar which tends to deteriorate and crack as it ages on a kite, Will has 'double layered' the entire large 'charcoal' trailing edge sail panel ...and added an extra 'triple' layer to the lower portion of the panel ...sewing vertical straight-line stitches on the three to keep them taught and from separating!

LE Cut-out:

...and yes ..I realized, after taking the pic, that the bridle line should have been over top of the connector.  Wink

Those new Skyshark 2PX rods look sharp!

Modified post to add a close-up photo of the trailing edge from the back of the kite;
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:51 AM by photogbill » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 04:38 AM »

Now that's craftsmanship! That's why the boutique kites are worth it!

Bob D.
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 07:30 AM »

A very good friend of mine bought me a Saber II to thank me for some programming work I did for him.

Saber II #13 with my customary fluorescent orange highlights.

The winds have been a little too light for me to put in a lot of time on it, but I have had it out a couple of times already.  One of my favorite things to do with it is a straight vertical dive, then snap it into a 2 point landing just inches off the ground.  The cascades are really nice, too!

[to save space attachment deleted by admin]
turbo23
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 07:42 AM »

Here is a quick fly, it was pouring, I was soaked the kite was soaked but my friend got a Iphone vid:)
Sturdy Designs Saber II
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08 AM »

I tried it at Wildwood ... it tracks INCREDIBLE (holding straight lines and sharp corners perfectly with little effort) and to me was a PERFECT Precision/Trick kite or COMP kite if you will. Its a WINNER. I was not a fan of the Saber I Will because of the larger inputs required but you corrected that issue with the Saber II. I am tempted to try your SUL version next year at Wildwood ... winds permitting of course. Good luck with a great design!

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document