GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Party 9  (Read 18705 times)
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2011, 02:16 AM »

If I were to be in Huntington Beach, CA. on Saturday March 12, 2011 and the Sun Rise was at 6:07. I would Fly for an hour or so,  Breakfast at the Sugar Shack. Back to the beach fly and visit the rest of the day. That's if I were there.............

Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2011, 10:46 PM »

75 registered so far here is the list

Dang, that's a nice list. Nice to see some first timers that I've known for decades making it out. VERY sorry to hear Mike Kory can't make it. Curious about Mike Stevenson also. You can add Mark Reed and Ron Gibian. I think Mike and Pam Kirk are coming too. 75' sets are in the making, should have plenty. Can't wait to see all of you.

Steve's CTR
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2011, 06:02 PM »

Hi all,

Forgive the ignorance as I've never been to a KP before but was considering attending this year.  I noticed on the website it says the kite field is not that big, how small are we talking?  Just curious because in some of the photos I saw from last year's KP the flying area looked huge.  Are they referring to the demo area only?

How strict is the 75' line length rule?  I mean, is someone out there with a tape measure checking everyone's lines?  Heh.  Only reason I ask is I'm not sure I have many linesets that are 75' or under.

thanks,
  Mike
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2011, 07:09 PM »

The main field is maybe 300'x300 but there are a lot of people who want to fly together, so it can get crowded. On the weekend 75' lines are maximum practical.  Shorter if it's really crowded.

There are smaller single line and teaching fields, but for sport kites it's just the main field. If the weather is nice the beach can fill up with civilians and the field boundaries are important.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:13 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2011, 08:32 PM »

Most of the Rev fliers pair up or team up.  If you get, say, four Rev fliers together, they take a little more than the space of one, rather than four separate spaces.  Last year we had 18 Revs in a mega fly, all on 75' lines.  It was a bit of a traffic jam at times, but was really fun.

Not everyone flies all of the time.  In the past, folks have been very considerate of other's flying space.  It always seems to work out just fine.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2011, 08:58 PM »

there are miles of beach and very few crowds this time of year. if the surf is good the surfers are going to be in the water anyway just gotta watch the back and forth traffic a little some of the so called locals can be a little territorial

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 09:18 PM »

*Mike - I found it most comfortable on 50' lines, there's a lot of flyers attempting to share a small space. But since you fly a lot of quads you can get together with that gang or keep your window pretty small. Your Flexi's on 150' won't be realistic most of the time unless you head down the beach but that's not the attraction of Kite Party is it? Have a great time.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 12:06 AM »

Gotcha, thanks for the info all.  I had considered bringing the Thor's or Hyper 16, but @ 150' lines they're too long.  Perhaps I could just use one set of that super heavy duty line I got from Steve which is only 82'.  We'll see I guess, I wouldn't want to bring too many kites, heh.

-Mike
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2011, 01:25 AM »

In the past, folks have been very considerate of other's flying space.
i didn't find this to be the case, and is specifically the reason i don't plan on returning.
if flying in beach wind is your primary interest, this is not the best venue. but if you like revs and chatting with others who do too, there's probably no better experience.

while blasphemer is probably how i'll be known from now on, i wouldn't want anyone to get the idea the flying space is all you can eat.

Fdeli
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 02:19 AM »

I think most people understand when flying in close quarters you must be aware and considerate of others.
I fly stacks so my lines are between 50 and 65 feet, I wait till there is a clear space to launch and most other fliers accommodate and yield some space... I will fly for 15 minutes or so, then land to allows others space.

I have never thought it too crowded to fly, you just have to remember to share the space and fly a smaller window than you would if you had the beach to yourself.

That's why having complete control of your kite at all times is required to fly on the main field

There is plenty of room away from the main fields for free flying, so I would not hesitate to bring your big kites, just realize you may not be able to fly them all the time, last year Kent had a Thors hammer, and a 12 stack of revs flying amongst trick kites, a couple of progressive stacks, and a tensor foil and never seemed to have problems

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 06:41 AM »

i didn't find this to be the case, and is specifically the reason i don't plan on returning.
if flying in beach wind is your primary interest, this is not the best venue. but if you like revs and chatting with others who do too, there's probably no better experience....

I found people considerate while flying next to each other. The one time I went though far too many kites were left staged across the small area with lines out closing well over half the field to others. As I understood it after venting that they were going to put the rev fliers to the south of the dock and clear up that problem. We haven't had the opportunity to go back though. Still had a great time though.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 09:25 AM »

Here's an old graphic from back when there was lots of discussion of field space after a very crowded KP5. Since then, line management has been emphasized and things have been cool. Outside the quad area just wind up when not flying and don't leave kites sitting around. Take breaks and make space for someone else for a while.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitehead/2910635191/#in/set-72157623508627056/

Generally I pick a portion of the window to fly in, which is difficult, because I like to move around a lot. I used to not fly during the day at all on Saturday and Sunday, getting my fill Thursday and Friday. I'm better at flying in crowds now, but still get my best flying in at the beginning and end of the day.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38 AM »

if flying in beach wind is your primary interest, this is not the best venue. but if you like revs and chatting with others who do too, there's probably no better experience.

while blasphemer is probably how i'll be known from now on, i wouldn't want anyone to get the idea the flying space is all you can eat.

Certainly you'll get more unimpeded flying time if you walk down the beach a ways, out of the crowd. But Kite Party is a social event. I can go fly by myself if I want to, but flying with other people in close proximity is part of the fun. Or standing and chatting while someone flys, then trying their kite, or watching some really excellent flyers, or just shooting the bull with people you only see once or twice a year.

I get plenty of room to ramble around towing an SUL in the early morning and plenty of room to put up my big ol' Proph and 100' tail on 125' lines at the end of the day. Last year I had the most fun during the crowded times flying a little Frenezy on 60' lines over in a corner. Matching kites and flying to conditions can help.

Allen, AKA kitehead
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07 PM »

Let's not forget that single lines were up both days North of the main field . We ahd some nice size kites up sharing the skys.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 07:11 PM »

the reason i posted that there is plenty of empty-powdered sugar sand&lab grade winds to fly by yourself is that i just wanted people to know that havent been here that it is available.. personally that is what i fly in anyway so no big deallol. i am coming down for the camaraderie,to say hi to a lot of people on this forum and to fly there kites!! there is always room for a session or three so if you dont come you are REALLY missing out on an awsome experience  see ya there KO

have fun kurt
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document