GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where I can get a big hat(for sun protection) in Toronto, Ontario ?  (Read 4721 times)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 04:02 PM »

Got a Tilley on the way home from work today.  Grin

Last weeks "burnt to a crisp" episode sold me, even though it was all my own fault for not bothering with ANY sunscreen and then standing in the sun for 7 hours flying...let me just say it was a blast, but very painful! Cry

So, anyway, I got home with the hat and first thing my wife says is "cool hat, I want one!". I should have known... Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 05:31 PM »

7 hrs. under the sun with no sunscreen !
I think you are fully cooked.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
xuzme720

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 05:48 PM »

7 hrs. under the sun with no sunscreen !
I think you are fully cooked.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
lol Yes I was! I'm still peeling, in fact... Roll Eyes
Next day I looked pretty much like "the most interesting man in the world"s darker brother! Huh (not sure if you have the same Dos Equis commercials as we in the states?)

Anyway, tomorrow will be another full day in the air, Tilley and sunscreen WILL be making an appearance, as well!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:51 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
tcope

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 08:34 PM »

My friend bought me a Tilly hat. I'd have never paid that much for a hat but I'll tell you... worth every penny. He kept telling me to put it in the washing machine to clean it. I thought it was crazy. I did and it came out looking like it had never been worn and was brand new! It's a high price but for a _quality_ hat.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 10:56 PM »

My friend bought me a Tilly hat. I'd have never paid that much for a hat but I'll tell you... worth every penny. He kept telling me to put it in the washing machine to clean it. I thought it was crazy. I did and it came out looking like it had never been worn and was brand new! It's a high price but for a _quality_ hat.

A week ago, the spouse and I had a serious talk about all the UV rays I have been collecting in the last seven years or so and decided it was time to put a stop to all the sunburns I have been getting because of our OBSESSION!  Put in an order to REI and picked up my Tilly.........Today I went back to the store and returned it and ordered the new one two hat sizes larger..........Have to only thank Steve and the rest of you for your input................the new Tilly should be here within the week and I've never been quite this excited about a "HAT"................lifetime warrantee and a two year no questions asked insurance policy for $7.50, if you live in the US.........A deal any thinking person couldn't refuse...

I'm just hoping that with my lack of slack line discipine, I won't pull the hat off and lose it Angry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:00 PM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 11:45 PM »

I wash my Tilley's all the time.  In the summer some times once a week.  They still look great

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22 AM »

This is the Tilley hat that I want but the price is approv. CAN$90 which is too expensive. Is there other hats available with similar feature ? I like the neck protector feature.

Thanks....

Your flying a $450.00 plus kite, but a $90.00 hat is too much?

Jay
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 01:06 AM »

This is the Tilley hat that I want but the price is approv. CAN$90 which is too expensive. Is there other hats available with similar feature ? I like the neck protector feature.

Thanks....

Jay

So you're expecting your kite to be around for the next ten years, but if you don't get you're act together there won't be a pilot left to fly it, unless, of course Wink, you deem me to be the recipient of it after your .................(demise)-
which in the interest of all of kitedom, I will glady accept....... Sad ( least I can do for a bro in the brotherhood)  You know...........'band of brothers'....et al....duh da da duh

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
cids

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 05:17 AM »

All the $$$ go to the damn kite, nothing left for Tilley or anything. Cry Cry Cry
I have to stick with the cheap Walmart 'Tilley' for a while.  Sad

But I like the idea of a washable hat.  Grin Tongue Grin

Skywatch 1 wind meter
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 12:23 PM »

Yeah, no sense spending money to protect our eyes and skin from cataracts and cancer.

You must be under 40. Most sub-40s still feel they're indestructible.  Cool

If you fly when your shadow is longer than you are tall, you don't have to worry about the skin cancer part.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 06:28 AM »

I never burn. I always use protection all the time. A bit paranoid about UV damage I guess.

I was out yesterday with my daughter and my kites and fried my ever expanding forehead. All the years of safe sunning, put to the curb in just over 3 hours. My head still feels like i'm standing in front of a heat lamp.

From now on my hat is going to be clipped to my kite bag all the time so I don't forget it ever again.

Cover up people! This sun is not the same sun most of us grew up with.
cids

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 02:18 PM »

The sun is still the same but there is a hole in the ozone layer. That's the problem.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
iwannafly

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 06:18 PM »

The sun is still the same but there is a hole in the ozone layer. That's the problem.

Sorry. I did mean that the sun was different, that's just silly. Cheesy   I was just commenting on the quantity of bad UV radiation that my exposed skin and everyone else’s is exposed to now, as compared to when we were kids. Sad

Or when you were a younger kid, in case you are one of those that have chosen not to grow up in the first place. Wink

Torontokitefliers

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 07:13 PM »

CIDS, the Tilley HQ is on Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue in Toronto.  Drop by and check out the hats.  Sign up for the mailing list and you can get mailed invitations to their warehouse sales in Toronto.
johnfarl

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 01:07 PM »

Wake up call.  A couple of months ago there was a free cancer screening in our town.  Went to it and got some suspcious spots biopsied.  One was melanoma.  Cost me 2/3's of the skin on my nose and major plastic surgery.  Plus extra care in the future. 

Get big hats
Wear sun screen
Get inspections by a dermatologist

This has not been much fun and is very scary.

All is coming back ok now and prognosis is great.   But the sooner it is caught the better.

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography