GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: printing out plans?  (Read 1297 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: March 18, 2010, 06:43 PM »

I want to try and build the Vortex Cool kite,but when I print out the plans on A4 paper and begin to assemble it the lines don't line up properly Shocked. What am I doing wrong? Sad
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38 PM »

The plan is printed with a grid pattern in the background. The grids should be 5cm square. If they aren't check your printer to be sure its set to 100%. Then just line up the grid squares. Make sure to measure every time you add a sheet of paper to keep the grids 5cm. And remember, being off 1mm at the near end can make you off many cm by the time you get to the far end. Its a slow and tedious task but worth doing right.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:28 PM »

check your 'shrink to fit' type options and make sure they're off. also make sure your printer knows it's printing on A4 instead of 8.5x11. sometimes the program you're using knows, but not the printer driver.

scrutinize and triple check every option box you see along the way.

i assembled pages for my first build. any build from here on out i'm going to print full size at a print shop. the margin for error is huge trusting a wobbly tape job.

surely people have success with the method, i just wasn't one of them.

best of luck, document your progress, and PLEASE share your results and experience. it's fantastic seeing people building kites.
 Smiley

Fdeli
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:48 AM »

Its not just any print shop that can produce full size plans. You have to find a place that does blueprints etc. And be prepared to pay.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Untitled
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:44 AM »

Looks like there is a little overlap on the print outs so the pages wont line up edge to edge have to overlap each edge a little.

Datenland

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:59 PM »

I've got them in US-Letter too, send me a mail if that helps. Applies to everybody, of course.

Erik
stucm89

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:17 PM »

There are four options for downloading the plans. Two are for US size paper, and two are for A4. It can get tricky sometimes with the difference in paper size, and the options for Adobe. If you know the length of the leading edge you can stretch or shrink the paper to that. You may have to take scissors and cut the edge of the paper where there is no line. I've built a B'Zarr 2009, and an Organic. Just take your time, have fun, and you will get better at it the more you do. I have just downloaded these plans, and may build one myself someday. Time to go play around with the colorizer! LOL.
Stu
www.wackos.org
Datenland

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:23 PM »

There are four options for downloading the plans.

Didn't remember Christian had put up the US-Letter too. Effectively it's two plans for building the kite, one with the drawing and details, the other with the panels moved apart to be used as cutting pattern.

If you know the length of the leading edge you can stretch or shrink the paper to that.

Not a problem, because:

The plan is printed with a grid pattern in the background.

Erik
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document