GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andy Wardley: Kite Movies  (Read 1651 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: March 16, 2010, 05:56 PM »

http://wardley.org/kites/movies/index.html

These don't get enough attention when the odd request for kite tutorials comes along.

Great series of videos ABW did in 2004 that culminated with Trick or Treat from Benson Kites.

ABW, just in case there is someone who doesn't know, is one of the most prolific progenitors of new tricks and combinations in the history of the sport, constantly innovating and refining.

He also takes great enjoyment in the naming of moves: much fun to be had there.

Each movie is accompanied with a written narrative describing what is going on so you can follow along and learn.

There is a lot to be gleaned from this series.

If you haven't had a look you should, especially if you are interested in the more flowing and continuous style of trick flying that Andy upholds.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:58 PM »

Bookmarked...Thanks Jim!!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18 PM »

I've been to Andy's site a few times. He is one hell of a talented guy. His flying is unbelievable and we all owe the world of trick flying to him.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:50 PM »

Thanks Jim! I'll check it out!

Bob D.
stucm89
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39 PM »

I still think these are some of the best kite videos ever made. If you want to know how to fly a Gemini or a Deep Space....study the flying style of the designers. I burned these into VCD format so I can use pause/still on my DVD player. Definitely worth the download!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:10 PM »

The Stoked series is on the very short list of kite videos I've watched more than twice.

Allen, AKA kitehead
benjai

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:43 AM »

Great call Jim - you're right that these videos don't get mentioned enough. Happening across one on YooToob was what got me into kiting in the first place. Certainly the written description is useful, but beware of ABW's slightly irreverent naming "conventions". You know he did the music fo the videos too? Shame he's no longer active in the kite scene.

There is also a bunch of other really useful stuff on his site, from simple stuff like like sealiing the ends of flying and bridle line and on knots to more complex info on bridles. Of course the hisotry of the Gem was is interesting to a Bensonophile...

I'd say that everyone should watch a couple of the Stoked series, partisularly if it's dark and rainy outside...
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53 AM »

Ah, Yes.. the music as well. 

All in all a great series of videos.

Wink

kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 05:04 PM »

I'm trying to find one of ABW's early Gemini videos when the Backspin was le tour du jour that had a great flow.
There was an edit where the kite probably was about to crash, but stitched into a successful Backspin.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 04:07 AM »

yeah these are great.

i made a dvd with menus etc of the stoked series a while back for personal use. if anyone is willing to host the .iso file others could download and burn themselves a copy. i just don't have the facility to host the file. it's 1.63GB

as per andy's website this is acceptable
Copyright and Usage

You are encouraged to download the video, copy it, and share it with your friends. You may distribute it in unaltered form for any non-commercial purpose. This includes burning the video to CD or DVD to give (but not sell) to your friends, or uploading the video to your web site for others to download, provided that you include a link back to this original page

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum