GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 02:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look what I came home to...any tips?  (Read 4749 times)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 01:32 PM »

Use the foot straps, they really do help, especially when you first get going and you are on grass or other area that has a bit more resistance.  When the kite pulls you can direct the power into the board easier.  Don't fasten the straps down tight on your feet and make sure that you can jump out of the straps quickly and easily when needed.  They are not like snowboard bindings where you lock in, just toe straps to keep the board on and to keep your feet planted where they need to be.  You should be able to slide out quick and fast at any time.  As said, use a helmet and pads!!!

When you first start out, set the board up so it is pointing appx. 45 degrees downwind, launch the kite and put it at the apex, then step into the board and lower the kite down into the power to the side so that the kite drops down directly in front of the board (pointing down wind).  Once you start moving, sine the kite back up towards the zenith and edge the board away from the kite so that you turn to be directly cross wind instead of down wind.  Keep sining the kite in front of you to continue your motion.  When you want to stop, crank the board away from the kite (upwind) as you lift the kite back up to zenith and you will slow to a stop.  This also puts the board in the exact position to head back the other direction.

Hope that gets you started.  Remember that too little wind is much better than discovering you had way too much wind.

Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 01:48 PM »

I have no interest at all in being pulled around by a kite, but I'd sure be tempted to give that a go on a nice dirt hill.

In that case it would definitely be without bindings.

It goes without saying, I'd probably break a lot of bones and lose a lot of skin.   Cheesy

I wish they had those when I was 16! I did a lot of dirt riding on regular boards back then. 

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:13 PM »

I would almost say, don't even bother with the kite the first afternoon.  If you can find some bunny hills and start practicing J turns and how the Bionics feel.  GI boards generally ship with the middle of the road Bionic cubes.  You can get softer or stiffer cubes depending on preference.

Starting out don't run the tires at full pressure.  You'll find yourself going real fast, real quick.... and the bunnies won't be the only ones making squealy noises.  Drop the air pressure down to like 40-45.  GI Maks have a nominal max pressure of 60 psi. On a hard kitchen floor, that will scare the bejeezus out of the wee furry ones.  Roll Eyes

+1 for the foot straps. It really does effect how fast you can turn and avoid things..  Run them tight enough so that you can use them for leverage when turning, but loose enough so that you can bail without getting snagged. 

It sounds silly, and the neighbors will point and stare, but go outside and stand on the board with your feet in the straps.  Lean forward and back to see how much leverage it takes to turn (while you are standing still).  While the board is still stationary, jump slightly up and back as if to bail.  Make adjustments to the bindings as necessary.

Consider getting the Progression Landboarding DVD.  Well worth it.  In a very small field, it is unique in that it not only gives instructions, but goes through the most common mistake scenarios ("this is what you want to do, but a lot of time....this is what really happens").

Get a helmet that protects the back of your head.  Cinched down, you should be able to hit the forehead area of the helmet fairly hard with the heel of your hand and not have it shift.  If it moves on impact, then it's just the illusion of protection.

Optional stuff:
Wrist Protection (flailing can be instinctive)
Eye protection (sunglasses are not protection... especially if the frame breaks while underneath the chinstraps)
Helmet with chin protection (landing on or getting whacked in the chin is not unheard of... childhood endo right onto my chin.... wheeee)

Sure I left out something...   Undecided 

ATB,
Sam
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:37 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Funny thing is I have been doing most of it already, at least where the board was concerned. I've had it out in the parking lot checking out handling, bailing out and doing hop turns since these don't kick turn like a skateboard! (going to have to overcome THAT little habit!) I had already adjusted the straps to "bailable snug"(I love making up new terms!).I did air up to 60 and it seemed fine in the parking lot and on the carpet Roll Eyes, but I will likely lower that before going for real...
Sam, it sounds like you know quite a bit about the GI line. Did I do ok for a starter board? I was actually shopping for a while and liked the features versus price on the bionics, their boards, etc., but what do I know? lol
Gamelord, Thanks for the tips as those should get me going well. Now I just need to find a helmet!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:29 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 11:24 AM »

Sam, it sounds like you know quite a bit about the GI line.

Insomnia generally means I find myself going over product specs in the middle of the night with the same degree of detail that some people reserve for sports statistics.  Ground Industries seems to be run by a swell bunch of guys that go out of their way to help both their dealers and customers.

Did I do ok for a starter board? I was actually shopping for a while and liked the features versus price on the bionics, their boards, etc., but what do I know? lol

You did fine.  I believe the Backyard Blue Special Edition is one of the limited run boards that GI occasionally does.  Even their starter boards have a lot of polish to them. Between the Bionics and deck construction, it should serve you well for quite some time. 

ATB,
Sam
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 07:48 PM »

You did fine.  I believe the Backyard Blue Special Edition is one of the limited run boards that GI occasionally does.  Even their starter boards have a lot of polish to them. Between the Bionics and deck construction, it should serve you well for quite some time. 

ATB,
Sam
You are correct in the board I.D. This one was only about $40 more than the AK103 without the bionics so I went for it. Basically, the same board, straps but with the upgraded trucks. Weather permitting I should be on it this weekend...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum