GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First build in progress  (Read 8595 times)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 07:53 PM »

un even unicorns couldnt make it look more girlie!!  luckily i know the girl
Shoot! I'd fly it and I'm nowhere near "girl", much less girly!! Tongue

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
kitebug
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08 PM »

that pink kite sure looks hot!

please post photos once its in the air, I just might have to build a new one now. cheers

Volando!
Cisco
Untitled
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28 PM »

Almost done just a little glue and bridle to go.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41 PM »

Looks great - can you explain why the sail on the left looks less taut than the one on the right?  Is it by design or different materials?

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 10:50 PM »

woohoo, very nice pal. let's hope they fly as good as they look. my first build didn't look or fly very well but i learned a ton in the process. it was well worth the effort. i hope you'll feel the same way.

Fdeli
Untitled

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46 PM »

Looks great - can you explain why the sail on the left looks less taut than the one on the right?  Is it by design or different materials?
Different material, one on the left is Surflite .6 oz polyester (kind of stretchy), and on the right its 1.5oz Nylon.

Untitled

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 11:49 PM »

woohoo, very nice pal. let's hope they fly as good as they look. my first build didn't look or fly very well but i learned a ton in the process. it was well worth the effort. i hope you'll feel the same way.
Yeah I hope they fly.  I been balancing them on the spine in a turtle position and seems pretty centered.  I will find out tomorrow I guess.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 07:06 AM »

hope your at the beach around 3 or 4 if not hope to see them this weekend
later ko

have fun kurt
Untitled

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 12:48 PM »

Finished!

So thought prior to starting where sewing was going to be hard, framing would be easy, and bridle would be hard.  After finishing sewing was a lot easier then I thought it was going to be, however doing it perfectly is a lot harder then anticipated.  Framing wasn't hard but it was tedious, and having a drill with a 9/32 bit helped a lot.  The bridle was a lot easier then I expected, just had to tie the knot that was going to be used, mark it, untie it, measure it, then add that to the given measurements, cut, and tie.

iwannafly

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 03:27 PM »

Great job! They look really good. Wink. I would like to know if they fly different due the different sail materials though.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 07:59 PM »

They look great & think of all you've learned if you choose to tackle some more.

Of course now all your flying buddies are going to bring their repairs to you too.  Grin 

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Untitled

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 11:47 PM »

Great job! They look really good. Wink. I would like to know if they fly different due the different sail materials though.
They do fly a little differently they 1.5 oz is a little heavier on the lines and a little slower. The Surlite is a little lighter and faster (the coating on it is slicker).  Actually managed to do most of the tricks I can do on them, think I need a little more weight on them though.  Did do some comets finally and almost did a wrapped fade.

spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39 AM »

Framing wasn't hard but it was tedious, and having a drill with a 9/32 bit helped a lot.
What did you have to drill?  A jaco?

Spence
Untitled

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 12:51 PM »

Framing wasn't hard but it was tedious, and having a drill with a 9/32 bit helped a lot.
What did you have to drill?  A jaco?

Used it to drill out the APA for the leading edges, would of been impossible to slide them otherwise.

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 02:35 PM »

Looking good!

Next time you can try boiling the APA's for a few minutes before sliding them on. It makes them much easier.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document