GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to get metal stencils made  (Read 1524 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: March 23, 2010, 04:12 AM »

I would like to get metal stencils made. Does anyone know how togo about getting this done,is thier a company that can make them for me?
Thank you,
wufer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:24 AM »

Hello. Smiley
http://www.arro-signs.co.uk/stencils.htm

I dont know what you want them for, but from my search, you might find them a bit too expensive.
You may have thought if this but, could you not make them yourself, out of thin plywood. If its just for one job, and not too complicated , this might be your best bet Undecided Or maybe in thin plastic sheet

Derek.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:30 AM by wufer » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:52 AM »

If you are not going to use the stnecils A LOT you can use a tagboard like material (think of the back piece on a notepad) then make your templates out of that.
then grab a roll of REAL duct tape...aluminum tape from the hardware store....
cut the tape into strips ~ 1/2" wide and fold over the edges of your template and you are good to go....the aluminum tape will help keep the edge of the template in workign shape much longer....and you can eve hot cut against it if you want to.

I would do this for template uses of 20-30 times....then you can make another one inexpensively....

just keep an eye on the edges....they might dimple if you drop the template - it is just a paper material after all.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12 AM »

Thank you,
For the great ideas. I'll give them both a try..
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37 AM »

If you're looking for templates to cut out kite panels, you might try a CAD capable machine shop.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17 AM »

And if you need some CAD work done and have the dimensions and details of what you need drawn. I'd be more than happy to help! That goe's for anyone here Smiley..

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 07:26 AM »

I also wanted to let you know that I do have a full size plotter. I can print in full color up to 36" x 48" or Arch E. If you need something printed, I'd be happy to do it and mail via USPS for a much smaller fee then what you would get at a reprographics store. For GWTW forum members only, $15 a print plus postage...

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:05 AM »

I also wanted to let you know that I do have a full size plotter. I can print in full color up to 36" x 48" or Arch E. If you need something printed, I'd be happy to do it and mail via USPS for a much smaller fee then what you would get at a reprographics store. For GWTW forum members only, $15 a print plus postage...

That's a rip roaring deal Geoff.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:23 PM »

wow Geoffrey i'll probably take you up on that sometime.

Fdeli
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:42 PM »

If you can get the patterns in dxf or similar format, it shouldn't be too expensive to have a local shop make them for you - it takes seconds to cut, but longer to make the program, so supplying the dxf file (or similar) saves them a lot of time and you some $. Also, you might be able to buy the material yourself (again saving 'cos they will charge mark-up) - but they will likely want a decent sized sheet to be able to hold in the machine. Best case is that you find one that's running something in a suitable material that can nest your parts on the offcuts - then the material might even be free... You need to find a shop that either has water-jet or laser-cutter capability. These will give you super smooth shapes in aluminium or stainless (I'd recommend water-jet). If you go a bit cheaperand use mild steel, you should lacquer them to stop corrosion. Actually, if you use ally templates, you should probably put some tape on the flat faces so that it doesn't actually touch the fabric (or maybe on the edges too) - ally has an annoying tendancy to leave black marks on pale fabrics...

HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document