GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 09:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: no snag handles  (Read 2278 times)
kimbo
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 25, 2010, 06:06 PM »

Can anyone provide info on anyone making "no snag" handles for sale??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:52 PM by JimB » Logged
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:13 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/yexvse3
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:29 AM »

When you say "no snag", do you mean without hog rings, or something else? Even knotted pigtails seem to have some snag factor.
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:03 AM »

Wow Dano, those are some mighty expensive handles!   Huh  Why is it that less always costs more?

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
REVflyer

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:45 AM »

you can make your own,
~ remove the hog ring,
~ smooth out the holes inside and out,
~ insert a suitably thick nail, then carefully measure & cut it down to "just larger" than the handle diameter (use a dremel and safety glasses!)
~ larkhead your new leaders onto the nail, but first pass the leader material thru the vinyl end cap you removed from the handles before the hog ring

snug everything down tight, place a couple of wraps of vinyl electrical tape around the handle covering the nail fully, then slide the vinyl end-cap back into place.

that's it!

You can make the rig more durable, by covering the very edge of the handle tube with a "cut-down" plastic moly, or even a few carefully placed wraps of electrical tape.

For years and years this is how you made your own no-snag handles.  The commercial ones are nice and smooth, but they are also very heavy.  They are made of a rod, not a tube!

For a really light weight set of no-snags start with titanium grade five tubing 3/8 in diameter.  Weight affects momentum, become a FLAILER!
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:22 AM »

I agree Burke.  Wink

If i needed no-snag i would probably do what Watty did in this thread.
http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3413-home-made-handles/page__hl__handles

it's kinda funny that Kimbo is the OP in both topics.

My problem is that i need to find me a pair of Blast handles, and those are real $$$.
Maybe Watty will make me a video how to make standard handles stronger.  Roll Eyes   Wink
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:31 AM by Dano » Logged
REVflyer

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:00 AM »

I agree Burke.  Wink

If i needed no-snag i would probably do what Watty did in this thread.
http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3413-home-made-handles/page__hl__handles

it's kinda funny that Kimbo is the OP in both topics.

My problem is that i need to find me a pair of Blast handles, and those are real $$$.
Maybe Watty will make me a video how to make standard handles stronger.  Roll Eyes   Wink

I've got blast reinforced handles that I'm using with 50#\120' line,  make me an offer and maybe we can both benefit.  What handles are you willing to trade?, how about a set of indoors, but they've gotta' be in perfect condition.  My current indoor set always pulls a line thru when jerking the darn things around!

I've got two sets of shorty no-snags, so not interested in those, send me a private message if interested in dealing.
RS67Man
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:20 PM »

I am the the only person making the no snag "Pro" handles for Revolution. They are entirely hand made by me in my own home machine shop. I am not responsible for the pricing, nor can I sell these to others directly. I feel that I was very lucky to strike a deal with Revolution to be able to legitimately make these available to anyone who wanted a set.  I am trying to make a legitimate business making sport kite accessories, and I did not want to step on any toes by making and selling them myself.

Edit to add:

The Pro Handles I make are significantly lighter and stronger than the standard revolution handles. They are not heavy by any means.....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:25 PM by RS67Man » Logged
kimbo

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:11 PM »

Found my "no snags"
 Thanks for the feedback. I needed another set of handles so I spent the money. I already modified my standard handles.

Peace

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document