GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet connectivity  (Read 2049 times)
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:04 PM »

So I have a weird situation with my internet signal.  I use an ethernet connection on my work computer and I keep losing the signal and constantly have to right click on the two computer icons on my toolbar and "repair connection" to get a signal.

This started happening after our tech support installed outlook.  Ironically every time they try to diagnose the problem I usually have to repair the connection and let them remote connect with my computer which means they can not see the problem.

Anyone know some things I can try on my end?
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:11 PM »

I would start with how your machine gets its IP address. Is it assigned automatically ? DHCP ? What is your internet connection ? Do you have a router ? Have you rebooted the cable modem/DSL/T1/router equipment to try to solve this issue ? A good power cyclin' solves alot of problems.
With more info, I could tell you how to set your address to aliviate that one layer of complexity.
~Rob.
BTW, I don't think it was the Outlook alone. The tech may have done other things, or it may just be coincidence.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 06:14 PM by Must86 » Logged

KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:04 PM »

Oh wow... Spookily familiar! 

I spent nearly a month trying to fix a similar problem on Linda's computer last year.  As a last resort, I blew away her desktop and rebuilt the OS / hard drive from scratch.  The problem DIDN'T disappear  Cry

...then the intermittent fault on her port on the Linksys modem-router-switch became permanent - one dead switch port!  Unplugged one of the printers from the switch and gave her that port.  Then 4 weeks later, the same problem started intermittently on my PC.  Unplugged the remaining printer from the switch and took that port for my PC.  Next day the switch went PHUT! complete with burnt electrical smell

Replaced the modem-router-switch with a Belkin (lifetime guarantee!!), never had the problem again.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:49 AM »

They didn't install Norton's Internet Suite at the same time did they? That'll do it. Also check and see if you have two firewalls running, you may be running one included with your anti-virus / Internet security suite and when they installed Outlook it activated Microsoft's native firewall, two firewalls running can cause problems. Check with your IT folks, if you do have a non-windows firewall then turning off the windows firewall may fix you up.

... Replaced the modem-router-switch with a Belkin (lifetime guarantee!!), never had the problem again.

Funny I've had the same problem ... with a Belkin router. It constantly loses it's own IP address if you can figure that one out. I've tried it in two different homes and the problem persists, first you lose the Internet connection, if you notice quick enough and get onto the routers config page you can reboot it from there, but a bit after it drops it's Internet connection it must switch it's own IP address (which is supposedly static at 192.168.2.1) because you can't connect to it, you can still connect to your other PC's on the network though so your still connected to & through the router. Damnedest thing. Lifetime warranty to, I've been meaning to find the box & stuff and ask for my money back. Yes it's had it's firmware updated 2 or 3 times now. I researched it when I bought it and it got top ratings, but I run away fast when I see Belkin now.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 04:58 AM »

Oh boy...I would steer clear of Belkin for switches & routers. They make great cables & power strips, but I would look more towards Linksys (Cisco) or Netgear for your routers. If you have a choice... If not...
Is your router/cable modem/DSL equipment on a battery backup (UPS) ? A momentary power glitch can cause your equipment to freak out.
A bad jumper/cable can cause an ethernet port to freak out. I really don't know how to tell you how to test those (I assume that most people don't have access to a Fluke certification tester.) other than a visual test. If the jumper or cable is beat up looking, it's highly suspect. I suppose you could use a standard meter and do a continuity test on the 4 pairs, that would prove something. The first thing I do when I have a troubled link is to swap the jumpers at both sides.
Could be the network card in the PC causing the router to freak out, too. I've had a bad netwok card crash a switch that had 49 other computers plugged in, all users were down until the one bad one was removed, and the switch rebooted.
Software... ugggh. Norton's/McCaffe all in one security packages. Can't stand them... they take 30% of the machine away from the user on a good day. Cause all kinds of software twists. Oh, maybe they're better in the 2010 package... I don't know, every year they get worse. If you've paid for a subscription to either of these, you need to spend some time on tech support and get you monies' worth. Make sure the product is updating at least every day, and doing scheduled scans at least once a week. Also, as pointed out, make sure the product's firewall and the Windows firewall aren't conflicting. Oh, what do we use ? My company uses Computer Associates' Threat management suite, and I've also had good luck with the Trend Micro product.
I hope something in here helps...
~Rob.

rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 03:54 PM »

I had similar intermittent connection problems for several weeks.
 I changed out the router,reset modem,ect,now the Internet connection works great.
I like Netgear and Linksys routers, Netgear is my 1st choice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change