GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 04:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traffic in Fractured Axel Forum is slow...  (Read 5528 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: March 29, 2010, 05:38 AM »

Traffic in FA forum is slow  Cry but the GWTW forum is buzzing with alot of activities  Grin . Why ?

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:32 AM »

The quantity of traffic alone should not be used as an indicator of how a Forum is doing.

And even if their traffic is slow currently, that doesn't mean FA hasn't been a valuable contributor in kiting.

Personally, I would like to see many kite Forums all have good traffic.

And secretly, I sometimes visit the FA Forum. They have some excellent info there, although presented in a slightly superior manner. That's just their Forum's personality.

I hope their traffic rebounds. It's good for all kiters.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:44 AM »

If all of the threads about the multitidinous Fearless variants wind ranges were consolidated into one post, then how would things look ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:51 AM »

There are only 4 threads in the Dual Line Kite section in the month of March in FA  Cry .

There are 40 threads in the first two pages of the GWTW Sport Kites forum and only 7 of those are Fearless related  Cheesy . Even without the Fearless related threads. They are still alot more activities here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:13 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:02 PM »

FA is into quality not quantity. Wink

Keep in mind that FA started as a club forum.

They are more about the local kite scene and competition doings.

oh and really ugly kites.. they are positively fixated on really dodgy applique..

Cheesy

need more info ask a Fiver..  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:32 PM by JimB » Logged
misterbleepy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 02:31 PM »

here are a couple of other factors that could be at play:

A large proportion of FA members live in the UK, and as it's a much smaller place than the US & Canada, there is less variation in weather. Right now it's spring, which means it rains quite often, which is not most peoples idea of ideal flying weather (well, not mine anyway). Quite a lot of contributors will possibly still be in kiting hibernation - when the weather improves, you will probably see increased activity as more people get outdoors and fly. By contrast, look at at the photos of KP8 in California - some of us in the UK would consider that sort of weather pretty good for the summer months, never mind February!

Another factor is the size of the userbase - I have no actual forum figures on this, but population-wise the USA and Canada has a population of around 330,000,000 people, whereas the UK population is around 60,000,000, so GWTW effectively serves around 5-6 times the number of people than FA.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:38 PM »

even if it's just to cheer someone on, or say thank you, my intent is to make a post every time i visit. not in an attempt to dilute the conversation, but to encourage and enthuse the participants.

it's my belief there's no quicker way to irrelevance on the internet, than to be static. this includes every website of every type. people seek out new information.

it's great we have a destination and place to communicate. should anyone cruise in here from FA who's been lurking i'd like to welcome them to become an active participant. i have a great deal of respect for the knowledge they hold and would hate to see them disappear over the horizon so to speak.

we have many lurkers, and this is great, but hopefully they'll join the conversation as well. your opinions and experience are just as valid as the rest of us, your ideas just as ingenious, and your pictures and videos just as beautiful. we'd enjoy sharing in them with you.

anyway, enough out of me ... just a thought.

Fdeli
damp_weather

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:40 PM »

There are only 4 threads in the month of March in FA  Cry .
Huh  ??  How are you counting threads? 
At a quick glance there are far more threads that have been updated in March than that.....
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:45 PM »

At a quick glance there are far more threads that have been updated in March than that.....
Going by actual new threads maybe? I don't know...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
jaydub

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52 PM »

I think part of the issue with FA is the winter weather in the UK and part of it is down to some of the more regular posters suffering from forum fatigue.

FA has much fewer posters than GWTW and it only takes a few of the more vociferous members to take a break and things slow right down.

I'm sure it will get much busier again now that BST has arrived and evening flying becomes an option.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 02:57 PM »

And another thing:

It's pretty much a dualie forum, hence the name, even if quads are discussed now and then.

Dedicated trick forum vs. general forum..
damp_weather

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 02:59 PM »

- Besides being surprised, I was asking a genuine question.  How does one count new threads, besides individually going through all the threads updated in March and looking at the date of the first post?
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30 PM »

- Besides being surprised, I was asking a genuine question.  How does one count new threads, besides individually going through all the threads updated in March and looking at the date of the first post?
I was just guessing...I don't know how to do it besides going through all of them. Unless, there is a statistics listing? Some forums have them in the control panel... Again, just a guess...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
jaydub

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32 PM »

Well there's 5 unanswered threads from March plus all the answered ones.  Just looking through the active threads I got bored at 20 and that only took me back to Mar 20th, so it's not quite as inactive as some would have us believe.

No where near as active as GWTW, but........
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42 PM »

Reviving Virtual Freestyle would undoubtedly increase activity at FA.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum