GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 04:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shreveport/Bossier, LA Folks?  (Read 2513 times)
flyfishbeck
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 29, 2010, 09:51 AM »

Hello from Shreveport, Louisiana.

After flying a cheap nylon kite with my daughter Saturday, I recalled fond memories of flying my Gayla Bat kite with the girl next door for hours at a time when I was young. 

Now that I have a good job and can afford a nice kite, I'd like to get into stunt kites.  I noticed there was a kite club here at one time (as they still have a website but it hasn't been updated in years), but the email doesn't work anymore.  If any of you are in the Ark-LA-Tex area, please let me know.  I'm ready to buy something ASAP and would like to see what the locals use for our variable winds.

Thanks and glad to see a good forum out there.  (and yes, this is a duplicate post from the prism forum... I'm trying all options to locate someone)

flyfishbeck
monkey

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:07 PM »

You'll want to make the trip to a festival right near you in a mere 2 weeks!

April 9th-11th
"The 6th Annual Kite Fest Louisiane' will be held at the West Baton Rouge parish Soccer complex next to Port Allen high School."

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
flyfishbeck

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12 PM »

That's what someone on the Prism forum recommended.  As much as I'd like to go, BR is 4 hours away.  I'm actually closer to Dallas and Little Rock than BR.  I'm really hoping to find someone from the ?old? club that existed here in town.

I wish I could make it to BR, but the drive keeps it from being a quick drive (not to mention family coming to visit).

Regardless, thank you for the input. 

Beck
streamhawk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23 PM »

there is a really good festival coming up in May 8 in Tulsa, OK, one of the biggest in the area. Not much happening around Little Rock. As far as kites go, either Prism's Quantum or Hypnotist would be a good start, you'll need a light wind kite also, the new 4D might fit well also. After you put in time with those, I'd go straight for a really nice kite, there are several choices for variable winds. Whatever festival you can make it to, it helps alot to see/meet other fliers.

Bill
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44 PM »

Troy Gunn is in your general area (Texas) and very active throughout that area as well as the world, he can hook you up with anybody flying in your locale.

TGunn here on the forum, you'll find his contact info and website linked in his profile right here

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=55

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
streamhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:05 PM »

and the AKA Region 8 calendar of his at:

http://tkogunn1.tripod.com/kitecalender.htm

Bill
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:39 PM »

Troy Gunn is in your general area (Texas) and very active throughout that area as well as the world, he can hook you up with anybody flying in your locale.

TGunn here on the forum, you'll find his contact info and website linked in his profile right here

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=55
General area as it relates to Texas is VERY relative! Troy is in Witchita Falls, roughly 4.5 hours away. I am in Houston which is around 4 hours...
Texas is big, something I am STILL getting used to since I am originally from Florida and I'm just not used to being able to drive for 12 hours and STILL be in the same state!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:14 PM »

Well, if you'd drive 12 hours, angling just a hair or two norhtwest, you'd end up where I am and that's just a tad south of Amarillo. Smiley

Gardner
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30 PM »

Wow, I've been there. Pretty much wide open space and while I was there, it was great kite weather. Problem was, I had to take a plane and for that trip didn't have any kites with me or time even if I did.  Sad
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:38 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35 PM »

Curtis Bias lives (lived) in Shreveport.  Great guy and pretty darn good kite flyer.  Haven't seen him on the forum in awhile.  I think family and career have had an impact on his kite flying time.  He's an art teacher in the schools there, maybe a principal now.  He also made some very nice wooden line reels.

Yes, it is a ways from Shreveport to Baton Rouge but I think you will find well worth the trip.  I'll be coming from Jackson, MS - about 3 hours.  There will be lots of different kites there and I'm sure you can get a chance to try out some of them.  I am planning on being there and you are welcome to pull a couple from my stash to try out.

Drop me a line if you decide to go.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
flyfishbeck

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:42 PM »

I'd love to go to BR but I have family coming in to visit.  I deeply appreciate your offer though.

I'll check on a local listing for Mr. Bias.  Hopefully he's available for me to pick his brain.

I may just give in and buy a Quantum from REI this weekend (as I believe my wife is convinced I'm going to Dallas with her).

Thanks again for the info!
flyfishbeck

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15 PM »

Does anyone know Curtis Bias' user name for this forum?  I'd rather send him a PM than trying to locate his phone number and calling. 

Thanks.

Beck

Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36 PM »

Curtis quit kite flying several years ago -- it seems it was somewhere around 2005.  Until then he was very active on the old GWTW forum but has not been on this one to my knowledge.  I met Curtis several years ago  at a Dallas area kite festival.  He was a really nice guy.  I have no idea whether he has moved from Shreveport or not. 

Gardner
flyfishbeck

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 09:38 PM »

Thanks for the info Gardner.  Hopefully he'll make it back to the sport.

Beck

dagnabbit
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51 AM »

I know some folks in the Dallas area that fly, they're pretty knowledgeable on the winds there.  Contact DAKO (the Dallas Area Kitefliers Association) through Trung Tran <dakousa@gmail.com> or go through the DAKO website (google search "DAKO kite")

North TX/LA winds....  yeah, a Quantum will do great- not when it gets really light (less than 3 mph), but it'll work.  When the wind picks up, the sail loads up well and the kite has a good pull to it, for its size.  In a demo we did for a middle school a couple of years ago, we had two Quantums and 300 6th graders.  Everyone got a few minutes fly time on these two kites.  Winds were very light, about 5 mph, and the kites flew great.  And after 150 nose landings (some of them were pretty spectacular) on each kite in two hours, both kites survived and are still used for demos for public fly time.

There are some lighter kites, for sure- but to learn on, I can't think of a more capable kite than the Quantum for its flyability or robustness.  I know REI has a couple of smaller kites, like the Nexus, but for the most part, smaller kites need more wind.  That's just a generalism- there are a lot of smaller kites that are light wind kites, but they're usually specialty kites (like indoor kites).

If you can, try to make it to the Great North Texas Kite Festival at Cedar Hill (just south of Dallas) on May 18th.  In years past, it has been a kite competition- I don't know if it will be this year, I'm talking to the organizers.  At the very least, it will be a fun kite festival, the field it's held on is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:55 AM by dagnabbit » Logged

The two things that really bug me are unfinished lists....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum