GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skate vs Aerobe  (Read 6043 times)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 01:30 PM »

I think they misspelled Voilà!

Not crazy about it but the Aerobe has a new name.

Price remains the same ... $60 with Free Shipping (to US addresses

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 04:39 PM »

Not crazy about it but the Aerobe has a new name.

Price remains the same ... $60 with Free Shipping (to US addresses

So if we still call it by the now 'wrong name' (Aerobe)...................you'll know what we're talking about, right?

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 05:33 PM »

I'll be leaving the former name up for at least the rest of the year.  Kind of like when the Mirage became the Hypnotist.  (I still catch my self referring to it as the Mirage)

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 06:42 PM »

Do we think the name really is the common misspelling of the French voila?? I've even seen that spelling here: "Just do such-and-such, and -- Wala! -- you're all set!" Oh, well, it's still a fun and versatile kite. I think it's great value, too! Not a perfect glider unless it's "tended", but a fun and versatile kite.

Norm in Toronto
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 07:04 PM »

I have both and I love both of them. The Skate is best in true no wind environment as its gliding capabilities are simply awesome. It has more of a slo mo character. I wouldn’t fly it outdoors as a single line kite in 10mph-ish winds as well as the bow from the micro carbon across the spreaders can look pretty scary.

The Aerobe to me, is a much more versatile kite compared to the skate. It looks more rugged and I'm not afraid to fly it outdoors in 10mph-ish wind. A nose dive with the Aerobe can be more re-assuring compared to a nose dive with the Skate. The ability to tune the Aerobe by switching the cross spreaders either to the front or back of the sail plus its multiple bridle tow points for tuning is also a plus point.

Obviously the Aerobe would need a bit more minimum wind compared to the Skate outdoors as a single liner as it is heavier. I would think the Skate would be great in super lab grade outdoors smooth SUL level beach wind though.

In short, I think the Aerobe is definitely value for money. It may be maybe 10% - 20% more overpriced for some but the versatility and its ruggedness to me is worth it.

Indoors, the skate requires lesser effort. The ability to tune the nose weight using coins gives you multiple characteristics which can be extracted out of it as well. The Aerobe can still be flown indoors too, though a more active approach is required. I don’t think you can (unlike the skate), set it up for momentum for a flat horizontal glide and just drop the line. You need to tend the tension all the time.

Here’s one simple mod which we tried that will make the Aerobe glide a lot better indoors. Simply, loosen the tension line at the tail tip to reduce the bow in the spine. The idea is to make the spine as straight as possible. This will introduce a fair bit of slack in the sail. With this setup, we found that the Aerobe’s indoor (and outdoor low wind) gliding capabilities are enhanced – but not as good as the Skate of cos.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Moonfog
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:11 AM »

Speaking of the Skate, how well does the Manta fly and is it worth the $$$?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 10:06 AM »

re: Manta

Flys very nice, when I first saw this video I thought it seemed a little ungainly because of the larger size but by the end when Hunter & Paul do a little pairs routine I was changing my mind

Flying the Manta - Indoors

and in those lab grade, barely there winds Darryl mentioned I've seen them sitting in the sky when nothing else was up without some work.

A Light Wind Evening with the Manta

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:08 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lad

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 07:59 PM »

FWIW: I posted a review of the Flick.
It's a different kind of animal (much smaller, for one)  - but another fun option in low winds.
Indoor flying hasn't interested me too much yet, so I don't know what it could do there.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change