GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 03:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago Police  (Read 4462 times)
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 30, 2010, 04:04 AM »

Yeah, plainclothes police in Chicago beat my buddy Matt Clark to a pulp a month ago. 

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-police-beating-lawsuit-march23,0,2275698.story
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/24/matthew-clark-greg-maland_n_510872.html

I stumbled on this via comments on another online story.  I am livid.   :'(

I am not sure who is worse, the street thugs in plainclothes, or the f%#&s in uniform that told Matt and his buddy to go home and forget about it. 

Some police officers should never have been given a badge in the first place.  What does this (and the many many other examples) say about the state of America if a guy getting a late night taco can get jumped by three cops, and then have other cops ignore the crime?  It sure says to me that my former hometown of Chicago has only gotten much worse since I left.  I used to think drawing guns on traffic stops was over the top.  This is just overt corruption and lawlessness from those paid to uphold the law.   

When you commit crimes while having a badge, you should be punished much more severely.  My friend Matt is the nicest dude you'll ever meet.  I hope the outcome of this suit funds the rest of his life.

obi
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:25 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:47 AM »

Ever since 9-11, anyone with a badge feels they can do whatever they want, unchecked.  Embarrassed

RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:39 AM »

In before the inevitable pro-law enforcement response, catastrophic thread breakdown, and subsequent lock.

Brutal stuff.  I hope your friend gets some kind restitution for what was done to him.  Lots of guys with serious testosterone poisoning going into "law enforcement" these days.  Seems like every juiced up, obnoxious meathead I run into in my gym is planning to become a cop or state trooper, so incidents like this don't really surprise me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:43 AM by RonG » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:36 AM »

yea a bunch of losers in law enforcement these days. But I am sure glad we got them, crime is 100 times worse than when i was a kid. But then again in the 50's and 60's it was the norm for cops to beat the crap out of everyone.
Maybe that was why there was not much crime... Cheesy

"Do what you like"
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:02 AM »

I read Sonny Bargers auto-bio (Hells Angels past president)  when white folk used to live in oakland, the cops would bring new officers or just the officers who needed exercise to a bar where they knew they'd find worthy sparring partners. Pick a fight in uniform with rules: no weapons, if officer won you went to jail, if you won you got to go home that night knowing you kicked a cops ass fair-in square (i guess)
Sorry for your friend. Maybe some Krav Maga classes, or small circle jujitsu? In NYC you should be able to find those classes easy peezy
Hope he gets every penny hes got coming to him
RonG
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49 AM »

Maybe some Krav Maga classes, or small circle jujitsu? In NYC you should be able to find those classes easy peezy

Not sure how much that would help him against off-duty cops, though.  Can you imagine what would have happened to those guys if they had mounted any kind of serious resistance?  I'm guessing that when the uniforms showed up, the 2 victims would have ended up in jail, the hospital, or worse.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:58 AM »

THIS HAPPENED NEAR CHICAGO?!
So strange.... the police here are usually really nice.
Thats bad about your friend, Obi, I hope this gets sorted out soon.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41 AM »

Ever since 9-11, anyone with a badge feels they can do whatever they want, unchecked.  Embarrassed
As a retired police officer (service 25+ years) I take offense to your statement. There are (some) bad cops, plumbers, politicians, kite fliers, etc., etc.... but please don't lump ALL cops into one bad pit! It's the few bad eggs that stand out and make it near impossible for the good ones (the majority) to do their job well and continue to believe they are making a possitive impact.

Glad I'm retired, especially after the last years I served, as too many people have a similar, to your, attitude.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22 PM »

Jinx....I stand by you 99% of what you said.  I have quite a few friends that are police officers and all of them are very honorable at what they do and I respect them in the highest.  The things that they are required to go through on a day-by-day basis is just amazing and I wonder why anyone would ever want to do that...but I am sure proud and thankful that they do.  It is too bad that there are a small handful of losers that create such a bad image of the majority of hard working and honest officers who really want to serve and protect us and our families.

But that 1% that I don't agree on is politicians....they are all bad....those and lawyers!  SmileySmileySmiley

It is a shame for what happened to your friend Obi.  I hope things get made right soon.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 01:30 PM »

When you commit crimes while having a badge, you should be punished much more severely. 
obi

I'll agree with that 1000%, they have gotten laws passed that increase the punishment to anybody committing an offense on them, if they are taking your money and committing crimes against you that is already 3 or more crimes.

Thanks Obi, someday maybe enough people will see or experience what you're pointing out and say enough is enough.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55 PM »

As a retired police officer (service 25+ years) I take offense to your statement. There are (some) bad cops, plumbers, politicians, kite fliers, etc., etc.... but please don't lump ALL cops into one bad pit! It's the few bad eggs that stand out and make it near impossible for the good ones (the majority) to do their job well and continue to believe they are making a possitive impact.

Glad I'm retired, especially after the last years I served, as too many people have a similar, to your, attitude.

Attitudes........we all got 'em.  No matter what the profession, be it doctor, lawyer, military person.............whatever, some people are not cut out for it........Some people shouldn't even be allowed to be parents, cuz after all it's the kids who suffer.  We humans often fail, hence the phrase, "I'm only human" Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:35 PM »

Here in lies the fact that human beings are not the most intelligent living things on the planet earth. Where the idea came from that they were is beyond me. Watch planet earth or life on Discovery, and put that with things I see and hear people do, there are other living things on this planet that are smarter than some humans!!!

Don
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:13 PM »

Jynx, I am sorry to have offended you. I shouldn't make an 'all' statement like that, covering the whole country. I can just speak from what is around me, and it's out of control. Random stop & searches on the street, and in motor vehicles. No probable cause required. Road blocks any time of the day, not just for DWI anymore. Seems like almost weekly there's another police brutality case on the news. Unarmed people going down in a hail of police bullets. I don't know if that goes past the NYC area, but that's what it's like here, sad to say.
~Rob.

Jeepster

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 06:45 PM »

Jynx,

Thanks for speaking up.  You voiced my feelings exactly.

Cheers,
Tom
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37 PM »

The only problems I have with people relates to their direct actions, not their race, profession, color, creed, etc.
Anything else is generalizing and amounts to "reading a book by it's cover".

Obi, very sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he truly was doing nothing to provoke the cops. Some people just rub others the wrong way, my brother is one of those. He had his share of scraps but I tend to think he brought a lot of it on himself as he has no "filter". Most people take that seriously when if you know him, it's always in jest.

Anyway, hope it works out for him.

I could go on and on but will put the soapbox away without any damage and let the next person have a go...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum