GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 12:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: El Cheapo (had no choice)  (Read 1409 times)
flyfishbeck
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 30, 2010, 07:40 PM »

Okay...

In a desperate attempt at my first dual line kite, I purchased a cheap nylon kite at the toy store today.  It's an X-Kites DC Sport 60".  I know, I know... it's nothing compared to the Prisms and other name brands but I had to try something immediately.  (and it was the best I can get until this weekend)

The wind was around 8-10mph today and at times it wasn't constant enough to maintain a decent lift.  However, I managed to get the kite up and fly left, right, left, etc.  After a minute or two of flying, I'd nose dive into the ground and have the walk of shame.  Regardless, I had fun while I had it in the air.

El Cheapo Specs:
X-Kites 60" DC Sport
Wind 7-18mph
25# line
75' line length
Cost - $15

With that said... here are my questions:

1.  I hope to get to REI this weekend in Dallas and purchase a Quantum.  I assume the extra 2' in width will help with the steering and lift issues with +/-8mph winds?  El Cheapo managed to turn ultra fast (tight turns) and wind up wrapping itself and crashing.

2.  If the average wind for N. LA is 8 mph, should I look for a light wind kite instead?  Or will the Quantum make it easier?

3.  I'm assuming a higher end stunt kite will make things a tad easier for learning.  Am I assuming too much?

Thanks in advance for your response.

- Beck
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47 PM »

I am wondering if a bridle adjustment would help the handling...

Anyway I would have to say that the Q should solve most of your trouble as far as the "light wind falling out of the sky" goes. Just keep in mind, you will still need to fly it. Obviously, the kite can't do it all! lol

Getting the Q should move you into a well mannered kite that has predictable response and will really help you learn what you need...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50 PM »

Yeah, try working with the bridle.

X Kites aren't that bad for the price.
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:54 PM »

the Quantum is a good kite...but needs wind.

Regards,
Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10 PM »

When you were talking low wind kite I'm thinking 2-4mph.  I think 5-8mph is strongly in the standard kite range.  Have not flown the Q-Pro but should have no issues with enough wind.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:13 PM »

the Quantum is a good kite...but needs wind.

Regards,
Chris
I agree but a Quantum should handle 8-10. It is a little low, but an experienced flyer can take them down to 4-5mph.
If you are thinking of a lighter wind kite, you are probably going to wind up spending more than you will on the Quantum. I know inland winds are not very steady, especially when you are in a confined area. Your best bet might be to try to get to as wide open an area as you possibly can, ideally with no trees or buildings for about 1/2 a mile around (I know easier said than done for most of us) and try some small adjustments on the X's bridal first. Just a little bit, no more than 1/4 inch at a time and make sure the left and right stay EVEN. The adjustment you are looking for will tip the nose in towards you (usually for higher wind to keep the forward drive low) or nose away (usually for lower wind but also to decrease pull at the cost of more forward drive).
I hope I haven't completely confused you... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:17 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 08:13 PM »

I have the Quantum as well.  Good kite that can handle the abuse...with that said I have replaced the lower leading edge twice and the spine once.

Last weekend there were REALLY high winds so I brought it out.  It went STRAIGHT up and then STRAIGHT down.  There was no damage to the kite....I bet it hit at 30-40 mph full speed straight down.

The Q definitely needs winds though.  I struggle to keep it aloft in 5mph or less.  More than that and it is a blast.

You cannot go wrong with that purchase if you have the wind you mention.

Do not worry about the e-cheapo.  It is a great kite to let others fly and crash.  I have two kites (BEETLE and GWAK Tornado) that were bought specifically for others.  I have never flown either kite.  Beetle was $25 and the Tornado was $10 (both used but brand new).

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change